Xenonauts: Community Edition discussion

Solver

Another one maybe not small is being able to assign custom sounds to each alien rank ("Guards,Soldiers .. Non-Combats) of same alien race (Ceasean,Sebillian,Harridan ..).Right now all ranks of certian alien race share same sounds (for death and injured) and I can't assign or change how would individuals sound (and this is of extremely importance to me).I hope I made this clear and that you understood.

You could work around this by separating out the ranks you want to give unique sounds to as separate races. I'm not sure the class/race distinction actually matters beyond organisation.

Edit:I am going to try that,although it is just going to clutter aiprops.xml even more than necessary.(I am not planing of making rank of certain alien as new alien race I am working on something entirely different).

Edit 2:Just want to let you know that this does work however... I can't create new race with new name.If I want for example to use Ceasean soldier and make new race of him I have to create yet another <AI race="Ceasan"></AI> entry and only then create new ranks with custom names or choose different patching/behaviors (or sounds when we are at that).Now this is ok if I only to make "one rank as new alien race" but what If I want four ?Don't you think that four entries of the same alien race with same stats/props will confuse someone unless it's me ?

Edit 3:Since you can't create new alien race (it's hard coded) new sound effect that I assigned to what I made overwritten old one and now both that "new" and Wraith which I used for basis share same sounds ... This doesn't work.

Edited by Sentelin

Hey Solver,

Its cool what you've done with CE version of Xenonauts! I've got a few suggestions after playing for a while. Let me know if you think any of them have merit or don't make sense.

Is there any chance you could enable tooltips for items in Xenonauts inventory when they're on a mission, identical to the item tooltips when outfitting soldiers in the base?

Also, can you add a way to remap the hotkey number a given xenonaut is assigned to in a dropshop? Currently, the only way to do this is un-assign all the soldiers and reassigning them in the desired order. For example, iff you could change the game so that CTL+# when the mouse is over a given Xenonaut in the dropship crew layout reassigns them to #, it would be really useful. I'm not the first to ask about this. To be clear, I don't mean the physical position of the Xenonauts, but their hotkey number assignment.

Lastly, could you change how medpacks interact with downed Xenonauts? Just preventing us from being able to use medpacks a soldier that has dropped would be (or increasing the likelihood they survive, but that changes game balance..).

Edited by agris

Also, can you add a way to remap the hotkey number a given xenonaut is assigned to in a dropshop? Currently, the only way to do this is un-assign all the soldiers and reassigning them in the desired order. For example, iff you could change the game so that CTL+# when the mouse is over a given Xenonaut in the dropship crew layout reassigns them to #, it would be really useful. I'm not the first to ask about this. To be clear, I don't mean the physical position of the Xenonauts, but their hotkey number assignment.

This is something I'd really like as well though I don't know if it's possible.

It pains me to have to remove everyone from the dropship and then move everyone back in to change their hotkey order.

I do not think there is any need to - alien mission spawns are controlled almost entirely in XML. Just ask kabill. Modifying the likelihood of these missions types is all doable in the XML, the hard part is making sure the values are right, it needs playtesting.

Solver is quite right. Previously there had been complaints of there being too many terror/base build missions. The only thing I'd ask is if the "once per wave" flag could be changed to "max missions per wave" so you could combine chance that a particular ufo has a terror/base attack mission with a larger number of potential ufos.

Here's a suggestion...

A variable that would make items explode when shot by certain types of weapons. For example, there was something recently about C4 being triggered by flashbangs, I dunno if it was a bug?

Anyway, something to put in the weapons_gc entry, like "volatile=1". Picture this: the inevitable new flammenwerfertruppens get shot by a weapon which has mitigation, like the alien sniper. Soldier blows up over a radius of perhaps 2.5 tiles. This kind of already happens - if I remember right, don't soldiers flying in buzzard armour explode when killed? (but without an explosion).

So maybe two variables, along the lines of "can trigger explosion" (for the shooters weapon) and "is volatile" (for the shootees weapon/item).

@Mikhail: I like that idea.

New suggestion: fixing windows.

So, the code for windows currently works as follows:

- All windows are set to 100% stopping chance.

- However, the window flag for a prop allows a shot to always pass through the tile as if it had a 0% stopping chance, doing damage to the prop as it does so.

This is why windows can't block shots: the window flag changes the stopping chance value to be "chance that the shot hit the prop as it passed through".

I'm wondering whether there'd be any way of changing the code such that any bullet trying to pass through the window prop (regardless of whether the bullet is stopped) causes the window to break. I don't know how plausible this is, as I don't know whether it would be possible to specify whether a shot is passing through a prop or not. (I assume the current system was implemented as a work-around of that very problem). But I thought I'd throw it out there as something to look at, maybe.

The best solution would be to use the stopping chance of the damaged (i.e. shattered) state and use that to split out the 100%, so:

- Window hit chance 70%

- Window frame hit chance 30%

Then do a random roll to see which one is hit. You need to apply the window frame damage to the "damaged" state, though, because the undamaged (i.e. unshattered window) state usually only has about 10 HP so any damage will destroy it.

Thought I'd put up an update, not having had a real one in a week. More cool stuff is coming later, of course.

CHANGELOG for Community Edition 0.23

- Soldiers now correctly get credit for kills with timed explosives (C4)

- TU-draining ammo will work as Max wants it to

- Modders can customize night vision range for armours (armours_gc.xml)

- Relations damage done by alien bases is now moddable in gameconfig.xml

- The airplane recovery mechanic is now optional through gameconfig.xml

- Vehicle Weapon and Aircraft Weapon categories will show up in the workshop if the player can build items from those categories.

- The distance at which the short range bonus kicks in is now moddable in config.xml

- Added colours.xml, where customizable colours will go. Only air combat background grid right now.

The only thing I'd ask is if the "once per wave" flag could be changed to "max missions per wave" so you could combine chance that a particular ufo has a terror/base attack mission with a larger number of potential ufos.

The documentation is a bit lacking there. What the "once per wave" flag means exactly?

If the flag is set, you can only ever get one of that particular type of mission for any wave. So if you jacked the percent chance that a base attack was 100% and set the once per wave flag, you'd only ever get one base attack mission, but your chances of getting a base attack mission per wave would be pretty good.

Been trying to get this to work but just cant figure it out. Seems to be a problem with my .exe, as after i extract the files over (replacing existing) The game crashes. I can get the initial window open where i can select the resolution and what not but not actually launch the game. I've moved my my steam library out of program files and done a fresh install. Also tried running as administrator.

Any ideas what the problem could be?