Xenonauts: Community Edition discussion

Solver

Kabill, compatibility will of course depend on what the mod does. Mods built on the Community Edition can require it to implement certain features, of course. So if you implement civilian-rescue funding bonuses or reflexes-enhancing ammo, those things will simply not work without CE.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I was thinking of mods that don't use any new features.

EDIT: Out of wonder, do you know whether the old centre-to-centre LoF system is still in the code somewhere (and if so whether it would be possible to add in a toggle)? I personally don't have a problem with the asymmetrical system currently in use, but it is one of those things which comes up frequently and it might be nice to have a mod which reverts it if it's possible.

Edited by kabill

I'm about to post a small update, 0.21, to the first page. Not many notable changes, but:

- Fixed disappearing mouse cursor upon loading GC save in 0.2.

- Fixed up strings.xml for the XNT guys.

- Quicksave in ground combat: press F5. Quickload doesn't work in spite of having a hotkey - it caused a crash and I haven't had enough time to figure it out.

- Fixed bug with the "Alien Leader/Officer" popups, they will no longer show up if the alien in question was killed in the UFO crash.

This was only quick because I have no time today, which brings me to this:

That is the last update for about a week or so. I will until the next weekend be without the ability to work on game code, and so there will be no updates. While this saddens me, some additional cool stuff is going to come in the later builds :)

Personal apologies to Skitso for not yet getting any of his wishes in. Sorry Skitso!

The option to once more have destructable aircraft should be available though!

Meanwhile I will rip some images from X-COM Apocalypse for our favorite Xenonauts. Aircrafts included. And after some refining by me via Photoshop they will look great and suitable for Xenonauts.

Here's what I am planning for the next version, this is as much information to the community as it is a reminder to myself :)

- Option to disable recovery of aircraft.

- Set TU-damaging ammo to Max's recommended behaviour: immediate and next turn TU drain.

- Initial work on customizable colours in aircombat grid and similar.

- Moddable distance for the "close range" weapons bonus.

- Moddable funding damage done by alien bases.

Those are somewhat boring things perhaps, and I have plans to add support for a few more difficult modding features, but those are bigger work items that need some preparation. I am also then concerned about save game compatibility. I can work around the usual save-breaking changes and preserve compatibility there, but for bigger changes, I am afraid I might be unable to do so.

- Set TU-damaging ammo to Max's recommended behaviour: immediate and next turn TU drain.

Those are somewhat boring things perhaps, and I have plans to add support for a few more difficult modding features, but those are bigger work items that need some preparation. I am also then concerned about save game compatibility. I can work around the usual save-breaking changes and preserve compatibility there, but for bigger changes, I am afraid I might be unable to do so.

TU draining ammo is great idea from Max indeed, dont worry about time, we wait for the game 5 years. ;)

Thank you for all you work!

Feel free to go ahead, Max, if you have more requests for weapon/armour effects. Some of those may be easy to implement, even if doing a new damage required code modification in a fair amount of places.

Battle Scanner, some short of option that allow detect alien nearby, maybe showing all tiles in a radius? Is that possible?

You know, there's one damage type that I'm kicking myself for not mentioning before, that hardy perennial of MMOs and RPGs alike: Damage Over Time. We already have this in a form with the bleed mechanic but it would be nice if the underlying DoT mechanic could be uncoupled from the bleeding overlay and made more general purpose. I'm thinking of things like posion, of course, but I'm also thinking of things like acid, which could eat armour. Before I get carried away, let's break it down.

Basic Damage over time

Exactly like bleeding, but does not require a threshold check. Does X damage over time, is healable and will be healed second after bleeding damage, so it goes bleeding, DoT, normal. Can stack. Is only applied if weapon causes physical (red numbers) damage.

Advanced Damage over time

DoT can have a configurable number of turns that it applies DoT.

Hyper Damage over Time

DoT can now affect TU and Morale bars.

Super Tiger Platinum Damage over Time

DoT can now affect armour and is independant of normal DoT damage.

Here's what I am planning for the next version, this is as much information to the community as it is a reminder to myself :)

- Option to disable recovery of aircraft.

- Initial work on customizable colours in aircombat grid and similar.

- Moddable distance for the "close range" weapons bonus.

- Moddable funding damage done by alien bases.

What's the status of my earlier requests - exporting the inventory container size and a drop-down soldier-role menu in the barracks screen - are they things that you're interested in doing, or are they not possible/not going to be included?

I have not looked closely at the inventory, but I think that should be a possibility.

Unfortunately I really, really dislike GUIs and am extremely slow at programming them, so that is the sort of thing that happens slower :) But the Barracks screen has some important adjustments that I hope to make in time.

I have not looked closely at the inventory, but I think that should be a possibility.

Unfortunately I really, really dislike GUIs and am extremely slow at programming them, so that is the sort of thing that happens slower :) But the Barracks screen has some important adjustments that I hope to make in time.

Um, I'm still not quite sure, on what language is written Xenonauts, so I won't be a hero and are willing to see core. Thought, it would be very nice to look into after some years, when my programing experience will be polished and I'll have plenty of time for fun with modding.

For now, here's some ideas, which visited me:

In battle inventory, could be very useful to see, how much kills did that or another soldier. It's serious matter of importance, which soldier needs better performance, rather than giving another tenth kill for that bloodthirsty carbine krogan, I mean, soldier.

As well, I always miss that original ufo armour bars. It is pretty mandatory to look, which soldier got hit in face little bit early in battle, and now his frontal armour is just obliterated. I already had this situation twice, when soldier magically resisted shotgun plasma in face, and later was simply critically wounded, all because wolf armour, actually, was almost destroyed. Of course, I could remember, which guy just god hit, but still it isn't obvious, how much still his armour can handle in particular battle.

In battle inventory, could be very useful to see, how much kills did that or another soldier. It's serious matter of importance, which soldier needs better performance, rather than giving another tenth kill for that bloodthirsty carbine krogan, I mean, soldier.

I think someone already did this (Mikhail?).

As well, I always miss that original ufo armour bars. It is pretty mandatory to look, which soldier got hit in face little bit early in battle, and now his frontal armour is just obliterated. I already had this situation twice, when soldier magically resisted shotgun plasma in face, and later was simply critically wounded, all because wolf armour, actually, was almost destroyed. Of course, I could remember, which guy just god hit, but still it isn't obvious, how much still his armour can handle in particular battle.

Yeah, that would be quite useful, even if it was just listed in the inventory screen or something.

@Solver: How to the stat buffs from armour work? Do they set the stat to a particular value, or do they add to the soldier's current score.

Also, is the Strength variable entry for Predator Armour in armour_gc.xml an oversight? The OP implies that you only need to modify armour.xml, but Predator Armour has it's old Strength variable set to 100 in armour_gc.xml as well.

Actually it is a bit weird. The strength variable sets the strength to that. The others give a boost. I should maybe change it, but it just felt weird to me that the Predator's strength variable is called boost, but actually sets instead of boosting. I am open to suggestions here for better handling.

Don't mind either way (it would be cool to have both as options, I guess!). But, is it a problem that Predator armour is supposed to give a +100 boost in armour.xml and set the soldier strength to 100 in armour_gc.xml?

Also, I just spotted a typo in armour.xml: the time unit buff entry reads:

<apBoost>0></apBoost>

with an extra > in it.