Anyone actually using Valkyrie?

dmholt

Just tried to start my first mission with a Valkyrie dropship ... and it was unbelievably appalling! My soldiers are out in the open with no cover whatsoever and cannot see or move more than a few squares. Then I end my turn ( deployment phase) , and half my squad gets killed by aliens before I even get to move , see any terrain, look for cover, throw some smoke grenades, etc.

I guess I will have to get a Chinook back for now, and research the Shryke, which I hadn't bothered to as the option to research Valkyrie came up before I got round to it. Big mistake!

Is anyone actually using the Valkyrie dropship? Is there some tactic or step I have missed? Because I can't see any value whatsoever in the Valkyerie if I'm going to lose half my squad before I get to move or see any tearrain.

If anyone has found a way to deploy from the Valkyrie with some reasonable chance of survival I'd be interested to hear.

This is a common complaint with Valkyries. The problem seems to stem from the deployment phase - once you've deployed, the game seems to count that as end of turn, then proceeds to the aliens' turn. The only use I've ever had for a Valkyrie is doing bases, because that's dealt with differently.

Thanks for the comments - sounds like it's not just me then. I was half worried and half hoping that I'd missed some blindingly obvious solution to my problem, like an option to choose the drop area or something. Never mind, just have to decide whether to go back far enough to research the Shrike instead of the Valkyrie, or just far enough to get a Chinook back for now and then research the Shrike.

Darth, I can only see 1 of 2 ways to fix that - either make dropzones competely sealed off from the rest of the map (so you can't be jumped) which breaks immersion with some maps, or have deployable barriers that you can set up alongside the troops.

dmholt, the Shrike is worth it - 12 guys isn't quite as good as 16, but there's a big solid body you can use as cover. It is a bit squarer than the Chinook. EDIT: And if you've got as far the Valkyrie, all you need to research is Directional Thrusters then you got your Shrike tech to research.

One little thing I found out to help aliviate that problem which I sadly first encountered when doing a Battleship Terror mission.

If you save during the deployment phase the reload that save your troops will be able to see like normal. I used this to have my dudes look everywhere to see if there were nearby enemies and face them the correct way. While I would still lose the first then and often get blasted right away, whatever shot at me would get mowed down by pistols, shottys, and rifle.

This was in v21 experimental 4, do not know if it is still doable.

One little thing I found out to help aliviate that problem which I sadly first encountered when doing a Battleship Terror mission.

If you save during the deployment phase the reload that save your troops will be able to see like normal. I used this to have my dudes look everywhere to see if there were nearby enemies and face them the correct way. While I would still lose the first then and often get blasted right away, whatever shot at me would get mowed down by pistols, shottys, and rifle.

This was in v21 experimental 4, do not know if it is still doable.

I noticed this too, but still don't think they're worth it. It would be good if you could see a minimap/aerial view and target the zone you wanted to drop into.

The deployment phase is classed as the first turn.

You would need to force the aliens to skip a turn for that to work.

Not sure if a rule like that could be attached to what kind of dropship you were flying at the time.

If you get a deployment phase and the first turn then they would be much more useful.

Otherwise at least give them space marine style drop pods to hide in until they can defend themselves properly.

I think we'll probably make the Xenonauts go first after the deployment phase. It makes the most sense.

Alien 1: Look! Canned Humans falling from the sky!

Alien 2: Xenonauts. They're called Xenonauts.

Alien 1: They're called sitting ducks. Let's just shoot them now!

Alien 2: No, let's wait until they're down and let them get into position. Then we'll start.

Alien 1: But...

Alien 1: Look! Canned Humans falling from the sky!

Alien 2: Xenonauts. They're called Xenonauts.

Alien 1: They're called sitting ducks. Let's just shoot them now!

Alien 2: No, let's wait until they're down and let them get into position. Then we'll start.

Alien 1: But...

LOL!

Alien 1: Look there's one falling without a can. He seems to be tangled in his chu...no wait, he's tangled in an office chair!

Its too late now but given the option to choose from a selection of landing points, (something a approaching team would do) on the map before deployment would of been a good angle.

For example, hover over that office block we can access the street through the building.

Drop us in that carpark that wall has good cover.

Drop us right on top of them we have no time to lose, civilians are dying down there.

Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used the Valkyrie in previous builds (haven't had the chance to use it in V21 yet, not sure if anything's different). I guess I've never had a problem with the first turn. I think the trick is (or at least what I do) to deploy your group in two different firing lines facing outward (since you're almost always deployed in a corner of the map, make sure you're not facing into the corner). Make sure they're all kneeling, and, probably the most important part, don't deploy them on the edges of the drop zone. You get a generously large area to drop in, so give yourself a buffer between you and the aliens. Just cause you can drop 3 feet away from the aliens doesn't mean you should...

I deploy my squad in a dispersed square, so I anchor each corner with a predator and back them up with sentinels. I'd still prefer having something solid and I think I might hang on to the shrike except for base missions in the future but for now it works well enough to protect from all angles.