Beta Candidate

Chris

We've been fairly busy this week (when I say "fairly busy" I mean I've been working till 10 every day) working on the beta candidate build - i.e. the build that will become our first beta when the bugs and obvious flaws in it are ironed out. I was hoping to release it today, but that's not going to happen.

Hopefully I'll finish it up over the weekend as it's now mostly balancing and testing work rather than adding more content, but either way it is unlikely Desura will be authorising stuff over Easter. I've posted this thread to let everyone know what is going on, as I've been hinting at beta arriving this weekend so I felt I should let people know for definite what was going on.

I'll keep everyone posted with my progress over the weekend; I'm off to see my family next weekend and as I'll be working half-days for just over a week when I do that, I'm not too bothered about working through Easter.

In short, we've done quite a bit this week. Aaron has now finished all the landed UFO tiles and we're a few days off getting the interior art for them all done, and we're halfway through doing all the damaged art. The final mission is blocked out and we're testing the special functionality of that at the moment, and I've made a lot of new maps (added another 17 this week) and balance changes and Giovanni has fixed a lot of bugs.

Even when stable, our beta will not be super well balanced, will still have some placeholder art it in and it probably won't be brilliant fun at first - but you should be able to play the game from start to finish. That should be in the next few days, and things will only improve from there!

Have a good Easter, everyone!

Thanks for the update.

Has there been any progress with getting the game on Steam?

I'm actually waiting for the game to be available on Steam before I purchase as I don't want to use Desura.

Maybe it could be added to Steam as a 'pre-purchase' with Beta access (like Stardrive and Legendary Heroes).

Just curious if there has been any progress here.

Thanks again.

Things I think should be sorted out before beta

1) same UI on geoscape as in base, research etc.

2) added at least simple texts in the bottom left when starting research (some do have it, but some don't. I think all the early game research [autopsies] should have it in in beta)

And by the way the 17.91 build is really good. I was able to enjoy playing the game after many builds.

Edited by janprusak

There'll be an update on Steam soon. It seems likely we'll be launching on Early Access in the next six weeks, but nothing is confirmed yet.

The update for today is that I've had to go back into the office because my code commit didn't go through last night and I can't work from home. *grumble grumble*

We've been fairly busy this week (when I say "fairly busy" I mean I've been working till 10 every day) working on the beta candidate build - i.e. the build that will become our first beta when the bugs and obvious flaws in it are ironed out. I was hoping to release it today, but that's not going to happen.

Hopefully I'll finish it up over the weekend as it's now mostly balancing and testing work rather than adding more content, but either way it is unlikely Desura will be authorising stuff over Easter. I've posted this thread to let everyone know what is going on, as I've been hinting at beta arriving this weekend so I felt I should let people know for definite what was going on.

I'll keep everyone posted with my progress over the weekend; I'm off to see my family next weekend and as I'll be working half-days for just over a week when I do that, I'm not too bothered about working through Easter.

In short, we've done quite a bit this week. Aaron has now finished all the landed UFO tiles and we're a few days off getting the interior art for them all done, and we're halfway through doing all the damaged art. The final mission is blocked out and we're testing the special functionality of that at the moment, and I've made a lot of new maps (added another 17 this week) and balance changes and Giovanni has fixed a lot of bugs.

Even when stable, our beta will not be super well balanced, will still have some placeholder art it in and it probably won't be brilliant fun at first - but you should be able to play the game from start to finish. That should be in the next few days, and things will only improve from there!

Have a good Easter, everyone!

Chris, glad to hear this but not at the expensive of your health. You should take it easy, slow down a bit you already have a lot done. We all know this isn't a side scroller action adventure game with a nice little story tacked on that lasts 8 hours and you don't have a team of 100 programmers working for you. And yet already its more interesting and enjoyable to play than a lot of the high production games that are out today, Not to mention endless replayability most games these days you play 8-10 hours get disappointed or bored halfway through then it gets uninstalled, sold or traded no sooner than you've finished it.

Which beta!! Game more improved and refined. As an example, the terror in the city of 6 saves is only one. Shoot aliens from another end of the map and fall always keep my soldiers manage to smear the opponent a meter away from them. This is only a small part of the problem!

Edited by Gundos