Futuristic Weapons, Armors and Planes?

I am really digging this game. Going to go pre-order now! But one quick question I have about this game: Does it contain futuristic weapon, armor and vehicle upgrades? I remember in original X-Com you started out with modern tech stuff but then you got these balls out crazy weapons and research that pimped you out in alien gear.

From the looks of the screen shots...I only see SWAT armor. No offense to SWAT teams and modern military's around the world, if aliens did come we gonna need more than MIGs and Raptors to fight these bastards off. Not to mention a riot shield would do shit against these baddies.

So I am hoping that there are "better" weapons. Is this true or false?

Thanks!

okay i just pre ordered :)

btw if you guys just stuck with only modern stuff that is okay. but i hope you will upgrade to siiiick looking alien tech in the future. well, gameplay matters the most but it would be nice to walk around in high tech suits ya know. ty!

in the alpha build laser weapons and wolf armour has been available but is currrently unable to be reached in the tech tree due to alien ships interrior (needed to unlock research in the tree) is unavailable. Beyond that we assume the third tier to be plasma weapons and the last tier is unknown.

Shotr answer: yes there will be scifi weapons based on the alien tech in the game.

ooo thank you! so once the game is finalized we will see our soldiers with super armor? sweet!

i just tried it and wow the game is very very professionally made. cannot believe how well they made this game.

one question though, it seems like i have infinite amount of weapons...? is this how it is supposed to be? I thought we had to buy our equipment

The starting equipment is infinite yes. The development team (and community) found it reasonable that funding nations would provide the last hope for mankind with any and every hand held weapon they need.

Researched weapons will not be infinite though. They will need to be manufactured and some/most items will require extra-terrestrial resources.

• 5 months later...

Wolf Armour looks the dogs danglies to be quite honest.

The laser rifles...not so great, I like the theme, they're just not the designs I would have gone form, especially the sniper rifle.

Although my main real gripe with the laser weapons is the Aircraft Laser Cannon, looks like a chaingun. Which strikes me as odd as it would be an incredibly bad design for a laser weapon.

Although looking through the assets, both the next two tiers of soldier guns look proper lovely. Especially the glowy ones. I think that's vague enough to not be a spoiler :)

There are 4 tiers of human weapons.

3 of them have been announced.

Tier 1, ballistic.

Tier 2, laser.

Tier 3, plasma.

The final tier hasn't been announced and most people don't talk about them but their pictures and some details have been in the game for a few versions so they are quite widely known about I reckon.

Although my main real gripe with the laser weapons is the Aircraft Laser Cannon, looks like a chaingun. Which strikes me as odd as it would be an incredibly bad design for a laser weapon.

I saw that as multiple smaller lasers so you can increase the rate of fire while spreading the heat, not necessarily a rotating barrel design.

Multiple individual weapons also means the recharge time of the individual lasers can be lower while still maintaining a high rate of fire.

I think I might add in some longer range beam weapons at some point.

Somewhere between the cannon and missiles in range and damage but with much slower recharge times than the cannon.

They would also have narrow fire arcs and a lock on time I think.

Just to see how they work.

Would be nice if there was updated weapons for each Tier also and they had unique benefits like causing target to catch fire or whatever else it may be. Lets say Laser Mk1-4 or some other variant. Rather then just simple laser versions of same old and so on, be nice to have some nice special weapons that are unique.

Would be nice if there was updated weapons for each Tier also and they had unique benefits like causing target to catch fire or whatever else it may be. Lets say Laser Mk1-4 or some other variant. Rather then just simple laser versions of same old and so on, be nice to have some nice special weapons that are unique.

first of all sorry for my bad english ^^

i just thought of an easy and fun way to ad these unique weapons. you dont need to make them you just could get'em

Lets say you would have an Mission from a country to go and secure data from one of their Military and development bases. Their base where a new prototype of weapon was developed was atacked by aliens, before the base is destroyed you are too get there and retrieve data about the project and as an secondary objective you can get your hands on the weapon. after the mission you can sell the weapon back lets say for something like 200-300k of you can keep it.

the only problem is too make all this ^^ and the weapons

The flamethrower and rocket launcher provide the special weapons and are outside of the normal tier system.

Grenades also provide some special effects outside of the pure damage from weapons.

How do you see Mk 4 being better than Mk 1 other than higher damage etc that is already provided by the current tier system?