Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting over adjacent, crouched soldiers

It would also open new tactics to be used with the combat shield

From the changelog-
    - Shooting over cover: When a unit fires a weapon, any cover in the adjacent tiles is disregarded for the purposes of the accuracy calculation (provided it does not have 100% stopping chance, which would mean it was a solid object such as a wall). This means that it is now far more advantageous to take cover, as your soldiers will no longer fire their weapons directly into objects only a few inches in front of them.
    The same reasoning can be used for shooting over soldiers so I see no reason it shouldn't be added (apart from time constraints).

in the original xcom this tactic was able to be used, but instead of total disregard for adjacent friendlies, it was a significantly reduced chance for friendly fire. similar to shooting through an adjacent window, sometimes you still hit the frame (which is pretty bad for the situation of adjacent friendly). tanks were also a great source of mobile cover, a miss into cover rarely resulted in damage of any significance early on.

the thing that gets me currently with adjacent friendlies, is grenades. you can't throw a grenade over someone else if they are right next to you.

i am sure chris will have this sorted out before the final version.

(This is my personal opinion)

I'd would support this; if units were adjacent (and one crouched), I would want close to 0% chance of friendly fire.
    Friendly fire ingame should come from wrong positioning within the squad. Crouching/lying indicates intentional, thought-out positioning and should not be penalized by friendly fire.

However, if you open fire while one of your squad mates is in the line-of-fire.. All bets are off, because you as a commander made a mistake. I would go even further and say that friendly fire should have increase morale cost.

The morale loss is higher for killing a friendly trooper, not for damaging them though.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

+1 to this, it was an excellent trait in Apocalypse.

Very good suggestion Khall.

Shooting over adjacent, crouched soldiers is a feature I would like to see in Xenonauts.

Wasn't this possible in original game? .-.

Not that I can remember. I remember mind-controlled squaddies blasting their own buddies at point blank, and fumblefingered rookies doing the same.

No I meant the "Shooting over crouched soldier" thing

Or did I misunderstand first post?

As I said, not that I can remember in the original games. I drew on my experience of mind-controlled squaddies shooting their own buddies at point blank (while crouched) and rookies shooting their buddies at point blank (likewise).