In the begining....................

Yeah, that's probably about when I first got it...I picked it up just after they had all that trouble with Pay Pal, when it first hit Desura. I've neglected it for a long time, coming back periodically so see what's changed because the early, early game was very frustrating with CTD issues all the time. And there was basically no AI. You could walk right up behind aliens and pop them off w/out them ever knowing you were there.

It's a WEE bit different now! (And that's a good thing.)

As I remember, it went through a lot of 2 steps forward and 1 step backward motions. It didn't quite know what it wanted to be.

I remember my first game. I was expecting aliens and space crafts, but what I got was gangs of hoodies hanging out round a tatty old shed smoking weed.

On reflection I suppose these were the first aliens scouts in disguise.

Edited by Moonie

... that Diner Dash was the best engine to use.

I've read the Q&A on Reddit and can see the pain the process went through. Mind you I'm supposed to be making an Oids clone in my spare time for 'fun' and am already pulling my hair out over bad choices and dead ends, so can sympathize.

As I remember, it went through a lot of 2 steps forward and 1 step backward motions. It didn't quite know what it wanted to be.

I remember my first game. I was expecting aliens and space crafts, but what I got was gangs of hoodies hanging out round a tatty old shed smoking weed.

On reflection I suppose these were the first aliens scouts in disguise.

We knew what we wanted it to be, but what you were seeing was the competing pressures of trying to releasing builds that showed our community visible progress whilst also actually making that progress. Until the game gets close to completion, you just gotta have some of this:

It is of course much harder to be confident that you've made the right investment in the early stages of development, but ironically that's when the team need the money most. You kinda gotta throw your money in the pot and hope the team don't screw it up :)

We knew what we wanted it to be, but what you were seeing was the competing pressures of trying to releasing builds that showed our community visible progress whilst also actually making that progress. Until the game gets close to completion, you just gotta have some of this:

It is of course much harder to be confident that you've made the right investment in the early stages of development, but ironically that's when the team need the money most. You kinda gotta throw your money in the pot and hope the team don't screw it up :)

It's true, I did have very little faith, mainly because of the complexity of such a game, were many have tried and many have died. Could you really pull this off?

I think what is more important is that it all worked out in the end, and hopefully yourself and the team can carry on making games, and people like myself can carry on buying those games. ;)

I don't really got anything to add, but I could not help myself but smirk at the fact that back then the game was planned to be released in about... 6 months time. ;P

I remember when the game was trying to come out before/about the time of Xcom enemy Unknown. But I am glad they took their time, this game now looks and plays much better then its competitors and the extra time and attention shows.

I remember when the very first playable preview sections were released, before they were connected as a game.

I was pretty sure the game was going to be OK before that from the ideas floating around but that was the first time I actually thought it could be better than OK :P

Chris and the team have put a lot of hard work into the game and probably almost as much hard work into the forums.

We haven't always made their job easier but it has certainly been an experience for all of us.

BTW I still want the single and burst shot modes combined so you can do the same things with both!

Oh, there was one other thing that I nearly forgot. Back in them old days gone by, I could never get more than 5 minutes play time before a game stopping crash. So any newcomers to the game can think themselves lucky. :)

"Why, back when the game was first playable, it weren't even playable! And we liked it that way!"