New Research screen UI for comment

Chris

I'm loving the style, it's been quite a while since I've seen game art that is exactly how I want it!

Suggestions:

- Please remove "Small talk". I immediatly noticed it and didn't like it. It seems the button actually makes the scene less immersive. It's not fitting for the situation. This scientist is staring at me like he wants me to get out of his face, and we're going to have some small talk? Seems like a waste of precious development time.

- The text elements on screen look way too big for me. I guess this will be resolved with resolution settings?

- I would prefer a grid view or spreadsheet-feel for the research items. Just drawing lines on the clipboard paper would do the trick. That would seem more realistic to me, instead of magically outlining everything perfectly on a blank paper.

You could animate the clipboard slightly. When you hover mouse over it, make the clipboard move up so you see more of it. Feels natural.

I want it to, depends on how much money we have and how fast we can get it done.

That would be a nice little addition. And it can be done with minimal effort - simply ask the artist to make it layered, so you can easily swap/replace elements. Artist will draw roughly the same amount but you'll have several alternative versions to use.

If possible, also make them react to other game events (lab was damaged in alien attack, research was distrupted) etc.

I Think its Great. All the Screen Shots are great, and the Idea that things will change in the background is nice. I love the snarky attitude of the Scientist, Do you have Plans for the other Department Heads as well. I think there could be a secretary as well in the Main area (f1) who could give breifings like, "They have recently fitted the Mig at Alpha Base with a Plasma Cannon and will be done in 6 hours" Or We are dangerously close to losing funding from Japan because of a recent Terror Attack. Or even, there are rumors of a possible Alien base that has been established in south America"

I love the small Talk. I think its brilliant.

Subtitles - I usually feel that subtitles in a game come when one of the Characters is actually talking (where you hear the sounds) and If the Scientist will astually be talking, then Subtitles could be used. But Only if there is Speech

White Board. White Boards were introduced in the mid 60's to the General Market, and Since this is a Highly trained state of the art operation, they would have had white boards. (I found out on Wikipedia that they were intro'd then)

The Clipboard - I Like the Idea of adding a Scroll feature to show all of the current in progress research tasks.

It looks great :D I do miss some kind of graphical representation of what it is you're going to research. For some reason I like seeing graphical images of things I might want to know more about :P

Apart f rom that, the only other thing I could see which could make it better would be to have it overlaid by a muted soundscape of people mumbling, computers humming, glasses jingling and a beep here and there.

Apart f rom that, the only other thing I could see which could make it better would be to have it overlaid by a muted soundscape of people mumbling, computers humming, glasses jingling and a beep here and there.

This! But yeah, in a very subtle way.

Is the F1-9 implying floors or hotkeys btw? (Will they be clickable?)

Is there any reason why you are using the f1 keys? I know alot of laptops have them combined with another key and it could be a hassle to use them. I suggest the 1-0 keys.

I do not like the small talk option, unless the guy only talk about random stuff. However, if there is something about the whole science project that is not in the folders for me to know, i would love the option to execute the guy for hiding important data and research options.

Remember X-Com. Sleek ui, the right information, slide bar that are easy to use (gig and well defined). (Broken reasearch tree tough)

Maybe put a research tree somewhere. Use the art as a backgroud filler the same way x-com did.

I feeled pulled out of the strategic position.

However, it might be interesting to call a meeting where your top supervisors can meet and answer your question. Meeting are important for that. Your time is precious as much as all the other supervisors. Having them all there at the same time make them acessible to you with advices and situation report, at the same time the other advisors get an idea of what happens in another dept and may have a solution.

That's why meeting exist and why top administrator avoid useless chatter in the corridors. (Unless there is a break but then, chatter is better be relaxing or else you might get a "send me a report" answer)

Wow, I like this setup. More immersive, feels like you are inside your base. The advise option and viewing all bases at the same time is great. My only suggestion at this point is the make the "commence project" button something other than black and make it a bit bigger. It is a commence button, make it green or something. It just needs to stand out a bit more.

Visible research trees are bad. The enjoyment of research is as much the surprise of what you become able to do.

I got to the point when I would play Civ Call to Power that I would follow the ingame research tree to pick and choose what I needed to research, and what I could skip and steal later. I would rather have it be a suprise when I return from a mission and find out "hey I can research Alien Entertainment!" - Which I read will not be included. :eek:

Wow, I like this setup. More immersive, feels like you are inside your base. The advise option and viewing all bases at the same time is great. My only suggestion at this point is the make the "commence project" button something other than black and make it a bit bigger. It is a commence button, make it green or something. It just needs to stand out a bit more.

Silly Irongamer! Buttons should be red! especially if they lead to things that can potentially destroy the world once the alien threat has been vanquished!

I really really like it. I'd keep it exactly the way it is, with no change. I like the fact that the scientist looks like his tired of having to deal with this slow witted commander. ;)

The only addition I would possibly include is that if you clicked on the background art anywhere (like on one of the computers), the Scientist would say "Dont touch that commander, it's very expensive". Or something similar.

I got to the point when I would play Civ Call to Power that I would follow the ingame research tree to pick and choose what I needed to research, and what I could skip and steal later. I would rather have it be a suprise when I return from a mission and find out "hey I can research Alien Entertainment!" - Which I read will not be included. :eek:

Exactly :)

• 2 months later...

Awesome. Bright colors, and authentic looking surfaces. It gives me the sense of activity between the battlescape missions. I like the small talk option. Maybe a good place for interested modders to add funny dialogue..or monologue..something.

Yeh I really like this.

Can we please have two buttons for increasing/decreasing researchers. << < > >> so that you can up in increments of 1 and say 10. That way I can assign 60 researchers with 6 clicks not 60!

ctrl click should do that already unless I missunderstood Chris. rightclick should assign all? (or if it was the other way around)