New Research screen UI for comment

Chris

Right click works, but it's a bit odd. Tap it and it just does it in a single increment of 1, hold down and it jumps up 10 places at the same speed holding left down works, meaning you just ramp through the numbers really quickly.

I'd rather have right click be a single click of 10, and ctrl click either being max or very quick.

The new research screens look rather swish though. Not sure on "Small talk" being there. Perhaps the same function can be a "hidden" function made by clicking on the scientists head.

Ooh, that ignited my imagination.

If you were going for the UI changing over time you could probably get away with 3 different ones..

I'm thinking the second advancement the clip board would be replaced with a iPad type device, and the 3rd one would be akin to something out of Minority Report (i.e. I kind of holographic translucent screen).

Your scientist could go from wearing that lab coat to wearing a chemical/radiation hazard suit (without the helmet) * hes dealing with alenium now for heaven's sake, and then in the late game he should have some sort of optical device fitted over one eye and be wearing a shiny reflective suit (that looks abit like aluminium rubber) powered by an obvious alenium reactor (iron man style).

Ooh, that ignited my imagination.

If you were going for the UI changing over time you could probably get away with 3 different ones..

I'm thinking the second advancement the clip board would be replaced with a iPad type device, and the 3rd one would be akin to something out of Minority Report (i.e. I kind of holographic translucent screen).

Your scientist could go from wearing that lab coat to wearing a chemical/radiation hazard suit (without the helmet) * hes dealing with alenium now for heaven's sake, and then in the late game he should have some sort of optical device fitted over one eye and be wearing a shiny reflective suit (that looks abit like aluminium rubber) powered by an obvious alenium reactor (iron man style).

I like this!

I'd prefer to be able to read it tbh.

the idea is to have the print out look period specific, a simple dot matrix, at the time i though the black dots were for the computer for some reason, but after installing it it would seem not. either way you agree that dot matrix for the computer printout from the 80's is needed, right?

here's some others:

1df4041598a64e2a6a6c903fc299b7.jpg

9b6507670b78796e6328b118a264ca.gif

309819.jpg

for the size on the clipboard i think the third is best, as it would be nice for it to be easily readable, as well as being obvious it is dot matrix.

perhaps for the other screens a different 80's era font could be shown, though i am not sure were they would fit as i have yet to see them.

some more 80's fonts:

80sfonts.jpg

80sfonts.jpg

1df4041598a64e2a6a6c903fc299b7.jpg

9b6507670b78796e6328b118a264ca.gif

309819.jpg

80sfonts.jpg.e7b3f94234465808d80ff73bc47

1df4041598a64e2a6a6c903fc299b7.jpg.b7e9f

9b6507670b78796e6328b118a264ca.gif.0015e

309819.jpg.7c81753b515d5093e92ef2ddd2c41

Readability > timespecific fonts. :P

The dotmatrix is very annoying to read and hard on the eyes imo. Besides Chris is already haveing scaleing problems with the text. Probably should use a font that makes it easier rather then makeing the problem worse? :P

Edited by Gorlom

The first commercial implementation of a laser printer was the IBM 3800 in 1976, used for high-volume printing of documents such as invoices and mailing labels. It is often cited as "taking up a whole room," implying that it was a primitive version of the later familiar device used with a personal computer. While large, it was designed for an entirely different purpose. Many 3800s are still in use.[citation needed]

The first laser printer designed for use in an office setting was released with the Xerox Star 8010 in 1981.

Obviously as a Commander I demand a proper printer, that can print stuff I'm able to read. :D

excellent points, i just didn't realize that it was harder to read, though now that i think back to when i first has to read dot matrix there was a bit of getting used.

@IceVamp - nice bit of trivia, and it would help explain the high costs for the era. after all you need the best if you are going to perform at your best. which is why the toilets are all japanese, the food french, and the clocks german.

It looks good, but i don't know about the style of the room selection on the left.

If you aren't planning to completely change the tone of the geoscape it would seem out of place i think.

Oh, I believe the Geoscape screen will receive an overhaul as well.

Edited by iamkyon

• 2 weeks later...
I hope small talk option will be in final version, I love small details like that :3

I just hope the button will be greyed out if he doesn't have anything to say. I'd rather not have him repeat some standard phrase 20.000.000 times.

I am really looking forward to the small talk option, it goes well with personalizing research, now when we'll get head scientist, engineer etc.

Still, I don't understand why is there so much opposition against small talk. You can always ignore it.. And I will enjoy it :)