Are flamethrowers still in the game?

Msvknight

Tsk Commissar. Do try to stay on the very valid topic of Flamethrowers. No need to start a flame war.

I do wonder if the pennies for the flamethrower effects were put up front, and that part of the budget has now gone? Or if it worked best with the person who vanished off the face of the planet? Or if it's really, really fiddly and the cost of getting someone else in to do it is too high?

questions.... burning questions...

Flamethrowers are a major regret of mine. Aside from the animation issues, you guys have seen the chaos caused by hypervelocity weapons in bug terms so I dread to think the issues flamers would cause.

A more robust shooting model is very high on the priority list for any future turn-based combat games we make, believe me.

I saw Max_Caine has modded a toxigun/launcher into the game, what about having the flame thrower toss out multiple "bullets" similar to that toxigun to create a burn pattern on the ground simulating a flamethrower? (Am I misremembering or has this been suggested already? I don't recall what the answer was then.)

I'm guessing that shooting out multiple projectiles with progressing targets along the path would be problematic? Still I can dream :D

You can do what Gorlom suggests, the problem is you'd have to make the weapon hideously inaccurate to obtain a good spread of shots, and if you have a multi-shot hideously inaccurate weapon you absolutely cannot have anyone standing near the shooter or they run the very real risk of being hit.

Thermite, baby.
I've used, made, and seen thermite in action. Not a practical compound for anti-personnel warhead. Thermite can be loaded into a grenade or whatever, but it really DOES NOT lend itself to scattering at all. Basically, it takes a sustantially amount of time to start burning then it becomes a mass of super hot molten iron. It's more of a place and burn type compound that is really good for destroying infrastructure. I suppose with some type of magnetic attachment it might make an OK anti-vehicle weapon if you could drop on top of the engine/hood. The best compounds for incendiary type weapons are WP, burning magnesium fragments, and burning liquids. I'm sure someone has come up with some fancier compounds, but the three I mentioned work real well.

You can do what Gorlom suggests, the problem is you'd have to make the weapon hideously inaccurate to obtain a good spread of shots, and if you have a multi-shot hideously inaccurate weapon you absolutely cannot have anyone standing near the shooter or they run the very real risk of being hit.

But.. isn't that the point of a flame thrower? At least if Thothkins or Sarth is wielding it :P

would that make a circularish burn pattern or can you make it so that it's relativly conal?

Max_Caine's model would actually work much better, even moreso if you maintained some degree of accuracy; flamethrowers don't quite work how they're depicted in most games, with about the most accurate I've seen being, oddly enough, the one from Turok 2.

They're not like some big can of OFF with a lighter; they look like that in movies, and have the big, fwoompy cone effect because they have to use gases as a fuel (this sort of flamethrower would be absolutely useless as a weapon); actual flamethrowers are fairly accurate weapons considering the platform, and you can put effects on a target way outside the max effective range of a pistol.

If you're seeing this Max_Caine, is there anyway you could attempt to do something similar to the Toxigun, with the result being a patch of fire? The "projectile" could be worked on later; I'm just curious if you could achieve that effect.

Edited by EchoFourDelta