Sign in to follow this  
Comrade

Weapon Asymetry

On 5/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, Max_Caine said:

I can't find the posts now, but I think the original scheme was that you'd have two weapon trees, energy-based weapons and kinetic-impact based weapons (hence the thermal and kinetic damage types currently in the game). You'd have the option to progress down one or both of the weapon trees, hence the early introduction of enemy MAG and then plasma weaponry. However, I suspect that has changed and the progression of weapon types is closer to X1. Based upon my experience of fiddling about with the data files, and having played the damn game since v1 I believe it is more likely now each weapon family will have it's own quirks and flaws and research is linear so you have to research weapon families in a particular order who will be, quirks and flaws notwithstanding, objctively better in the areas that count. 

Well its refreshing that they decided to keep the old system. One thing though, how annoying are these "flaws"? In the original game the only real flaw was less ammo, which wasn't that big of a deal and could be easily ignored. The laser weapon recharge mechanic on the other hand... My god is that annoying.

Is there any planned flaws for plasma and mag weapons?

I guess you don't have the game, or you wouldn't ask that question. Plasma weapons ammo currently degenerates. As in, the power cell will slowly run out of shots whether or not you use the gun, meaning you need to carry more ammo with you. It's the reverse of the laser family. It makes things more interesting, seeing as the plasma family has currently the highest damage output of any of the weapon families. I would strongly advise people reading my posts in this thread to take everything I say with a share in a salt mine. It would be just a day's work (I know, I've done it) to completely revise the tech tree - the way the data is set out, it can be annoying to follow back all the threads but it's possible to make sweeping changes to the tech tree and weapon families within a relatively short period of time. It makes sense in terms of the game to have a linear progression - the way XCOM-a-like games are set up prefer a linear research progression model as opposed to a radial model used in 4X/grand strategy games such as stellaris, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have all the weapon families right from the start and the tech you pick up from UFOs refine crude applications of technology into something a bit more usable. 

EDIT: And now that sounds really interesting to me - I wonder if it could be carried off? 

Then how about upgrade and add on to weapon system, like an upgrade to laser tree to recharge ammo every turn in cost of ammo count and weight? First phototype should have a lot draw back but improve over time with alien tech.

The game is one step ahead of you. Each weapon family has a mark 2 version on the tech tree. At the moment, the mark 2 upgrade simply upgrades damage, but you could do any number of things with it. However, if you look at the April update, there's a very interesting line from it:

Fixed the issue where weapons in backpack didn't properly contain ammo (which also lays the foundations for modular weapons)

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if that goes ahead then you have to ask just how necessary an overall mk 2 upgrade would be. If I can slap parts on a gun, then I can overcome the inherant flaws of that weapon family.

It doesn't fundametally change much. Weather you research a weapon upgrade/addon like a stabilizer/silencer/scope or whatevr, you build a new gun. It is still new research and new production.

The difference is aplicability. While a completely new gun would be self-contained, a scope might be fitted on different guns.

So to get your point straight all of these "quirks" like the laser not being reloaded or the plasma losing charge can be modded out EASILY right?

Also you mentioned plasma has the highest DPS. Did MAG weapons get removed?

I'm going to preface what I say with "at the moment", because the game isn't out of beta yet, let alone EA, so things can change. However, to answer to your question, @Comrade, the answer is yes. I can take that one step further - if all you wanted the weapon tiers to be is linear ++damage, thats entirely possible to do as well. Gauss is there, but I believe Chris gave plasma the highest raw damage as a conterbalance to their quirk - the power cell draining each turn.