Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Permanent death no !

Permanent death no !

At normal level do not have permanent death. At hardest level I don't care.
    Players at normal difficulty are not hardcore enough to survive the carnage! Have some pity !

I disagree completely. Permadeath is one of the defining traits of X-Com-a-likes, and is a good reason why players have large squads. Take permadeath out and you may as well have a 6-man squad for all it matters.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    If this cannot be changed, then please add a save option.... after certain amount of steps or so... It's the continues restarting and the randomness that makes it sometimes irritating.... ow die...hmmm have to start all over again...don't want my chars to die on me...

It's possible someone will mod it later to remove permadeath, but as far as I know the X-com likes that did not have permadeath got a lot of crap for that.

Gorlom is correct. UFO: Exterrestrials got a lot of criticism when it came out, and the lack of permadeath was high on the list.

It's also true that someone will probably mod permadeath out (just as people long ago modded permadeath back into UFO: ET).

permadeath is a 100% must in a proper x-com revision - normal difficulty included

Awards:
    Posting Award
    another voice for the permadeath being an absolute must. ET was much better the moment it got modded back in. Losing some of your most cherished troops teaches you to keep 'em safe and also mourn their loss. All good for game play.
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Colonel
    Taking out permanent death of your soldiers will ruin the game.

It's their experience (and now added medals!) that gives value to each soldier and putting your best troops at risk of dying is one of the main tension creating devices in the game.

It also means the players choices have worth.

Quote Originally Posted by chihwahli View Post
    If this cannot be changed, then please add a save option.... after certain amount of steps or so... It's the continues restarting and the randomness that makes it sometimes irritating.... ow die...hmmm have to start all over again...don't want my chars to die on me...
    +1 for permadeath, choices have consequences, I would even be ok with limited/no saves allowed during combat in the normal+ modes.
    "It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it."
    - Robert E. Lee

Yeah, it's a must (even on normal) and game saves will be implemented (if they haven't already).
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"