Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stretch Goal Poll Options

Stretch Goal Poll Options

OK, so a few people have suggested a poll where we ask people what features they are most excited about and would like to have put in the game as rewards for us doing well. I think this is a good idea. But first, I need to know what should go in the poll.

Here's a few ideas from me:
    - Mac / Linux port (likely to be at $100k)
    - Female soldiers (likely to be at $200k)
    - A new tileset (possibly with a sub-vote about what tileset you'd like - given we already have desert and tundra tilesets coming)
    - A new alien species? Although we might struggle to find one that has a good battlefield niche / ability that is not already planned.
    - Vehicle levelling - allowing vehicles to become slightly better with combat experience, although I'm a little unconvinced by this.
    - Military terror mission? Aliens are attacking a miltary base?
    - Mission objectives on terror missions - such as protect X civilian (the mayor etc) while the aliens are actively trying to kill them?

Other ideas are welcome. I'm not keen to put pilot / aircraft experience in the game though, unfortunately. I think it'll be too tough to balance.
    Last edited by Chris; 05-11-2012 at 13:56. Reason: added mission objectives
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Well, I may as well stick this in here;

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/f...-political-Mod

Nah, you can talk about that in that post, it's a bit different (I've posted there). We can't put that in the poll, unless we stick it under "improved modding options" but even that is a bit wishy-washy...
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Out of the four undecided (no goal numbers set) I'm most interested in the extra tile set and th military terror mission.

How about an oil rig terror mission? =)

Or a mission to take out a WACO type farm with alien worshipers?
    EDIT: The Waco farms could start showing up when countries lose faith in the Xenonauts and contain 1-3 aliens (commanders?) and a bunch of hostile civilians. You still get negative score for killing the civvies, but they open fire on the Xenonauts rather then running around being helpless...
    Last edited by Gorlom; 05-11-2012 at 14:12.

Maybe add in some of the other concepts you've previously mentioned, like soldier medals (and suppression fire, but maybe that's a gameplay mechanic you want in for sure if you can)? Even if they're things you're planning to put in, can't hurt to give people more choices and also get a sense of their priorities.

Any other basic questions you can ask, just to round out the survey (and maybe help the PR campaign)? Stuff like "how did you find out about the drive?", "have you played the demo?", etc. - just thinking that more questions makes a survey feel beefier and maybe having some of that data would help target PR going forward?

Out of curiosity, Chris, are boxed games even remotely an option given pricing/shipping? Another question in a survey could be to ask people who likely they'd be to pay $65 (or whatever) for a boxed copy, to get a sense of if there's enough support to even make it worth going down that path.

What about "additional sub-maps and battlescape elements"? Seems to me several people have voiced their desire for maximum randomization/replayability.

My other idea would be "visual customization of aircraft", maybe also the pilot names thing, both taken from the thread about what to offer to pledgers above 200$.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    - A new tileset (possibly with a sub-vote about what tileset you'd like - given we already have desert and tundra tilesets coming)
    A combination of the above would be great. Basically more "special missions" like the military base defense, liberating governments from alien influence, joint operations with npc forces like a large-ish scale ground battle between earth military and aliens that you can get involved in, etc. Things that show that earth is fighting for its life beside what the Xenonauts are doing.

Female soldiers would be nice as well. The OS ports too (I don't care about them but it's good for business).

Vehicle xp and new alien species aren't necessary imo, they're very appealing on paper but not as relevant in practice imo.

I'd also advise re-emphasizing that the main goal is to get an office and gather the team so people don't keep asking why do you need 50k for this or that.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

I would definitely like to see the additional tileset, and military terror missions sound good too.

For me, anything that adds to the variety of the missions and maps is a big plus, as that is where we will spend most of our time.

Awards:
    Posting Award
    recycling an earlier post:-

Increased Map variations – Arctic, desert etc. up to the number of XCom ones

Enhanced Geoscape events, in parallel with UFO activity, showing the panic, or cooperation, within the funding nations as the invasion progresses.

Training to be enhanced to ensure that you don’t spend the last third of the game with cookie cutter soldiers.

Variation between funding nations – with geography, expertise and cold war influence affecting various facilities, buying & selling

A more detailed Geoscape with more cities on it.

Female soldiers, if only in the base pictures – coming with $200 000 I see

Enhanced solder screen enabling room for call signs, character roles, and possibly player notes.

Enhanced alien artefacts – more to their culture/goodies than just power sources and alloys. Can be looped into research

Being able to track alien influence on funding nations – colours on Geoscape or enhanced funding nation info

Remove soldier from selection and force onto next soldier when going through soldiers on Battlescape

Oh, and to help for post release...

Mod – Ticker & events to be moddable
    Mod – Psionics to be moddable preferably with a graphic of a Psi Amp & Psi Lab to be handy
    Mod – weapon effects to be added beyond what is there – electrical arcing for example?

Alas tech, pilot and engineering skills are probably huge, but enhanced training would almost be the same as Soldier skills.

as for the above

- Mac / Linux port (likely to be at $100k) - I don't use either so personally meaningless. Can see the sales advantage for you guys though.

- Female soldiers (likely to be at $200k) - seems a huge jump from 100k. Would like to see intermediate steps. Can be modded.

Yay!

- A new alien species? Although we might struggle to find one that has a good battlefield niche / ability that is not already planned.
    Hard to say, since there are so many we haven't really seen. Some of the original EU ones struggled to really find a story and a niche, so I'd rather that the ones you had really fit in.

- Vehicle levelling - allowing vehicles to become slightly better with combat experience, although I'm a little unconvinced by this.
    Happy that the advanced R&D takes care of this by providing updates. Not to keen on "Pimp my tank"

This is a yes. Particularly in keeping with some Cold War/ variation in funding states as above and on other thread. You have to have a reason for doing this. If it's that they are going to launch the bases' missiles, then why haven't they just launched horrid weapons from orbit?

Other ideas are welcome. I'm not keen to put pilot / aircraft experience in the game though, unfortunately. I think it'll be too tough to balance.
    Pilot and Tank piccies are an option, even without skills

Additional mission types (defending a friendly military base)
    Additional tiles may include port towns (like in TFTD), forest and jungle maps.
    There are 2 ways to reach Cydonia:
    1). Build the Avenger
    2). Build a mountain of dead rookies