New Mission End Screen (feedback / opinions welcome)!

Chris

That is actually an excellent idea!! Maybe we could use the soldier equipment screen background as it is and the personnel screen character could fit to inform you about soldier losses etc? This template has it all: it fits games overall look, it has background art, it has all the info in one screen, has mood and ambiance. I love it!

EDIT: Few ideas:

-I'd maybe combine mission success stuff and items recovered to speech bubble and move soldiers to the clip board or vice versa.

-Dead people need to be together at the bottom of the list like Smoitessier suggested earlier and not mixed in between.

-A minimum of 8 soldiers should be visible at once me thinks.

Edited by Skitso

Eight would be better but the screen starts to look a bit cramped if the clipboard is used and I wasn't really sure how it would work with scaling as I was just messing with photoshop rather than the actual UI.

The reason I put the dropship and soldier in armour on the screen was because you get the report straight away, not once they return to base, so it makes sense they would be reporting from the field.

I originally had a background in that looked like they were standing on the battlefield but it didn't look right (different art styles) so I put the soldier equip screen in so it wouldn't distract too much from the basic idea.

Try to imagine that it is a sweeping vista of whatever tileset the mission was supposed to be on.

The dropship and soldier could possibly be updated with your tech level, preferably depending on what was taken on the mission.

f you have soldiers in Predator armour then replace the image with one of those, if they are in a Shrike then replace the dropship image.

My favourite alternative would be to replace the soldier with a member of the recovery team though if it didn't work properly.

I tried to put the soldiers on the clipboard first but unless you make the clipboard very wide or the soldier bars a lot narrower you can only get them in a single column which wastes a lot of screen space and only shows 3 or 4 onscreen without scrolling.

I kept the kill/loss statistics and the soldier stats together and moved the list of items recovered and cash received as it didn't obviously fit with either of the other two.

The section for items recovered is also wider than either of the other sections so unless you want it to cover the majority of the screen then it can't easily fit beside either of them.

I could have used a smaller clipboard graphic and made 8 soldier bars fit in the speech bubble I reckon.

The way I saw the screen was that you were getting a report on the mission (kill/loss) and the status of the squad from the commander in the field and a report of recovered gear and cash from the paper pushers on the clipboard.

Quick test with everything in the same bubble and a different background.

Note that the background artwork is not mine, I think it was commissioned and posted by Max_Caine but I cannot find the post so hope no one minds me using it in the example.

p1TWuCb.jpg

Link: http://i.imgur.com/p1TWuCb.jpg

Nothing and to be honest the mockup I did actually looks ok over the top of that old image as well.

lES915v.jpg

Link:http://i.imgur.com/lES915v.jpg

Excuse it being off centre, I changed the resolution but didn't want to spend the time moving all of the parts.

Only real problem for me is that the speech bubble image doesn't look great stretched to that size, I would generate a new one at a larger size to fix it.

Probably be a 30 second job.

I forgive you, my child.

EDIT: The gallery is here, Gauddlike.

Cheers, and thanks for the link.

Edited by Gauddlike

Agreed... Gauddlike's image fit surprisingly well.

Chris, I know you said that images don't git in with the atmosphere anymore, but please reconsider... after having a look at Gauddlike's 2 images I think there is a lot of potential.

You know it would be a pretty good idea if there were 15-20 of these images and they would be random generated after each mission completion.

lES915v.jpg

Excuse it being off centre, I changed the resolution but didn't want to spend the time moving all of the parts.

Was about to say how much more I prefer the current endscreen, but this one looks even better!

Much better than the bland summary that breaks immersion.

I also support separating the KIA from the living. Full-stat rundown of the killed would be welcome too.

I do have a sentiment for my fallen, would like to have an opportunity to look at their achievements one more time.

PS. +1 ACC camp is the only camp!

Edited by DreXav

I don't mind either way on the +1 ACC or the final stat.

Especially as they can only ever go up by one point in a battle anyway at the moment.

If they have increased I already know it is by +1 so the actual value is the more useful piece of information.

Being able to choose to use either would be nice though, mainly for when someone makes a mod that allows stats to go up by more than one point.

Nothing and to be honest the mockup I did actually looks ok over the top of that old image as well.

lES915v.jpg

Great work, even if it took only 30 seconds ;) I LOVE IT.

I couldn´t imagine playing this game without such a cool atmospheric picture in the summary screen after the mission. It wouldn´t be the same again. Although some more pictures like this randomly choosen after missions would spice it up even more.

- Str +2

- only newly awarded medals shown in the mission summary

The presently existing screens look better. The success/failure backgrounds add a lot to the game's creepy atmosphere. If a soldier dies I also prefer to look at the large portraits of them, rather than these small ones. Their deaths (and stat progression) seem trivialized without the 2nd dedicated tab.

Agree with having large portraits for the soldiers, that gives the feeling of individuality and sympathy for your soldiers, also new medals should be overlaid upon the soldier face image i think. Having said that, the new official XCOM game reportedly has a feature of keeping a 'history' for your soldiers, even dead ones in the form of a pinboard with photos, good idea, would be nice to have such a soldier history to give them some more character. Also agree with +1 ACC, +2 STR type stat increase report.

There is a nice theme running through the base screens that I would like to see continued with the debriefing screens.

Instead of a pop up window a screen that looks like a soldier debrief.

Something more like this although it is a quick mock up and needs refining:

8I6nR9G.jpg

Link: http://i.imgur.com/8I6nR9G.jpg

Updating the dropship and soldier model depending on what was on the mission would be nice.

The backdrop is just from the soldier equip screen but some unique artwork would fit nicely there.

Note that I didn't use the previous success screen because the artwork doesn't mesh well with the paperdoll image.

For added impact it would be possible to line up the proper number of body bags along the blank floor behind the semi transparent speech bubble.

Just saying.

Refinements could be a border on the screen so it looks like a video feed, remove the dropship, have some context appropriate background images like body bags or alien corpses being disposed of.

The clipboard could be removed and the speech bubble stretched down to allow more soldiers to be displayed.

Probably many other things beyond my limited imagination.

*edit* Replaced the image for an almost identical one but the black on white text is now white on black to match the soldier names.

Great idea with the dropship backdrop for the debrief, perhaps also make the loot sales when the ship arrives back home? (so that you don't get that alien gravity generator for research if your chinook is shot by alien fighters on the way) but report soldier status changes immediately after the mission as the dropship leaves for back home.

I sometimes do multiple crashsites on a single fly with one dropship so some continuity could happen with that too, like if you have badly wounded soldiers, they lie unconscious at the back of the ship?

lES915v.jpg

Only real problem for me is that the speech bubble image doesn't look great stretched to that size, I would generate a new one at a larger size to fix it.

Probably be a 30 second job.

Cheers, and thanks for the link.

That looks AWESOME! +1 for this one!

• 2 weeks later...