Chris

Grenade Miss Scatter Discussion Thread

Heres a simple idea. For the sake of fun and gameplay (Maybe not realism) could we have the grenades ALWAYS land somewhat near the target? It could be a small radius around where you aim that may not be that large or that small. 

This way a grenade will never land at your feet or next to your ally. A lot less frustration and grenades become safe to use once more.

21 hours ago, Comrade said:

Heres a simple idea. For the sake of fun and gameplay (Maybe not realism) could we have the grenades ALWAYS land somewhat near the target? It could be a small radius around where you aim that may not be that large or that small. 

This way a grenade will never land at your feet or next to your ally. A lot less frustration and grenades become safe to use once more. 

Not really, because prior to that you have to calculate whether the grenade should be able to land there in the first place. You cannot use your approach, if the target position is through a wall. But then again, maybe you can throw over the wall? Is there a roof over the thrower or the target? What about windows in the way? Are they aligned well enough that this throw could succeed? And so on and so forth.

Personally love the idea of having your miss% being related to your scatter range. It would be nice to see the miss calculation take doors into effect. I know this is oddly specific, but I'm still a bit bitter over a recent grenade that was likely a miss due to all the obstacles in the way, but because a nearby door was open, calculated it's miss scatter around a corner and straight into my entire waiting team, because I assumed I would have been able to rush all the doors in the previous round, but wound up only being able to clear one. I never knew a grenade could scatter like that until that point. 

Absolutely on board with the HEVY changes. Can we get more snazzy ammo types for that thing? I REALLY want to try a HEVY only run at some point. 

Maybe it would be more satisfying if the miss calculations happened backwards? Like if when throw it goes.... Yes/No -> Farthest Obstacle to Closest Obstacle. That way you don't feel like those Seals you just hired apparently rode in on the short bus when they hit they misjudge their throw by an approximate 3 miles and somehow hit behind themselves. Most missed throws would fail farther away, and a close range bad throw would have had to fail, let's say 3 40%s in a row to fail that spectacularly. Hopefully I didn't misread anything, but that would feel much better...in the opinion of this particular tired potato. 

Well, grenade launchers should at least go in the general direction you fire them in! From what I have seen they sometimes tend to drop at your feet. A grenade launcher is designed to do what it says - launch a grenade further than a man can throw it, and a man can always throw it further than his own two feet :-). It should act like a Rocket Launcher, but with shorter range and more shrapnel scatter (which distinguishes it from a rocket launcher).

At the minute its implementation reminds me of that Taliban terrorist on YouTube who fired an RPG into the wall right next to him...

Edited by ooey

>At the minute its implementation reminds me of that Taliban terrorist on YouTube who fired an RPG into the wall right next to him..

Hehe...you probably want to encourage your enemy to use those kind of tactics.  In terms of "real life" (whatever that is) usage, a weapon which blows up friendlies even two times out of every 100 would never be used, but in the game environment, the failure rate is way of increasing tension/suspense by introducing random problems for the player.  So do we really need more suspense due to weapon failure when we already are unsure of how effective our fire, and that of the aliens, will be?  I doubt it, unless we're trying to make things more "realistic," in which case the chance of firing duds would be much more common than catastrophic failure. 

The only other reason I can see for having any weapon failure (duds or booms) is for balance purposes--like Mars vehicle-based SMGs missing 4 out of 4 shots unless very close to the target.

Edited by maxm222
clarification

I don’t mind the ‘dud’ percentage at all, it’s the catastrophic cockups of either firing at the gunners feet or directly into your own troops. Seriously ..........fire, clunk, bugger is a lot more acceptable than fire, bang, new squad needed!;) 

Heh-heh, right you are!  It breaks my immersion to see my squaddies do something that stupid.  If anyone is interested, there are a bunch of YouTube videos showing Major Fails of the Javelin anti-tank missile which are pretty funny, and nobody gets hurt--as far as I can tell.