(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

@Kirill Selivanov

I would say 50-60% is done (I wonder what TD has to say about this :D), but there are big things still ahead, which I don't want to spoil and I hope TD won't spoil them either :P.

Next stop is 6.0 as far as I know, so that will take quite more time to work on and test than the recent updates. We could use some extra manpower as Selgald is now only available on weekends...and Im here for an uncertain time.

Apart from that a lot depends on the community edition..as the updates there can unlock some modding options which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Oh I would've never guessed that was an actual design decision.

I'd never considered it either really, but being able to just have a sniper shoot at 95% through any number of standing soldiers was also pretty silly, particularly because it reduced the point in positioning your troops relative to the sniper and trying to keep his view unobstructed.

I started a new game on this hotfix anyway and so far I'm finding the early game is definitely more forgiving but it also seems a lot more fair, aliens don't all have sniper accuracy with smg fire that demolishes your troops anymore, and you can deal with inflicted wounds properly instead of just dying instantly to 18 damage from them when you barely survived burst fire from full hp.

Very curious to see how it'll develop as I go further into the invasion.

Oh I would've never guessed that was an actual design decision.

I'd never considered it either really, but being able to just have a sniper shoot at 95% through any number of standing soldiers was also pretty silly, particularly because it reduced the point in positioning your troops relative to the sniper and trying to keep his view unobstructed.

I started a new game on this hotfix anyway and so far I'm finding the early game is definitely more forgiving but it also seems a lot more fair, aliens don't all have sniper accuracy with smg fire that demolishes your troops anymore, and you can deal with inflicted wounds properly instead of just dying instantly to 18 damage from them when you barely survived burst fire from full hp.

Very curious to see how it'll develop as I go further into the invasion.

When the moment comes We'll be waiting your any comment and feedback. Standing 100% stopping chance increase tactical level of the ground combat, especially allowing the option that you can stop incoming fire from a unit or enemy alien can block fire to your main objective. The current stopping chance of 100% still fix some problems of Alien Accuracy calculations, this reduce the chance of alien friendly fire.

Thank you!

Missing Aircraft Files :S!

Sorry there are some many files in the pack! I quiet hard.

My fault. Already uploaded to Core Pack.

@Kirill Selivanov

I would say 50-60% is done (I wonder what TD has to say about this :D), but there are big things still ahead, which I don't want to spoil and I hope TD won't spoil them either :P.

Next stop is 6.0 as far as I know, so that will take quite more time to work on and test than the recent updates. We could use some extra manpower as Selgald is now only available on weekends...and Im here for an uncertain time.

Apart from that a lot depends on the community edition..as the updates there can unlock some modding options which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

thanks. i understood.

Not sure it was an intention but reaction fire is changed the way that aliens can use almost all they TU before any of my soldiers on full TU do anything. SO question is : is there a change made to it, and how is the formula right now cause its hard to make any strategy when walking zobie can go 20 tiles towards u attack and go trough LOS of 2 soldiers with full TU left and they do nothing. Knowing what I can expect give me chance to make proper strategy to the changes made.

They all got reaction modifier.They had 0x reaction modifier that's why every soldier and armed civilian was so good at killing them.Only soldier that can reaction fire now is with very high reflexes.So your best strategy would be one shot retreat,one shot retreat and when you re- group squad of 3-5 soldiers then you can face Gargols but be careful because then you are easy target for stun weapons (vortex and spine thrower).Although if you don't kill Gargol in one round expect casualties that's inevitable ( same goes for vortex)

Edited by Sentelin

Not sure it was an intention but reaction fire is changed the way that aliens can use almost all they TU before any of my soldiers on full TU do anything. SO question is : is there a change made to it, and how is the formula right now cause its hard to make any strategy when walking zobie can go 20 tiles towards u attack and go trough LOS of 2 soldiers with full TU left and they do nothing. Knowing what I can expect give me chance to make proper strategy to the changes made.

Yes indeed vanilla make the changes, they increase reaction modifier of melee weapons to make more useful close combat attacks. At least melee aliens can can make 1 or 2 hits to trigger reaction fire. This change implemented by vanilla is good and bad, good because closer reaction fire have more chance to hit the melee alien and bad because the aliens can "do something" against players that only try to deal this kind of aliens with reaction fire.

Dont camp, explorer, dont wait aliens to come for you, because you will be surrounded in a pair of turns. Make exploratory movements and try to take down aliens at distance, keep you high reaction pistols and shotguns ready for the aliens that come.

They all got reaction modifier.They had 0x reaction modifier that's why every soldier and armed civilian was so good at killing them.Only soldier that can reaction fire now is with very high reflexes.So your best strategy would be one shot retreat,one shot retreat and when you re-group squad of 3-5 soldiers then you can face Gargols but be careful because then you are easy target for stun weapons (vortex and spine thrower).Although if you don't kill Gargol in one round expect casualties that's inevitable ( same goes for vortex)

emmm.... NEVER saw armed civilian that killed reaper, viper, zombie or even non-combatant caesian-)))

and the strategy of one shot&run is pure suicide. with their 20 tiles run you have ONLY one turn you spot them ANYWHERE. next turn they are near and make a 50-100% 1 kill. if they close mucher than 10 tiles 1-2 kills/turn

ps. sory to bother... but regeneration makes all hit&run strategy a bullet waste.

well... haven't any idea to say, but the maps aren't so big to run-run-run tactics too. if there more than 1 alien - they become bloody more than often-)))

it'sjust my mention. nothing with that strategy, but wiseversus... lets have some any other perspective...whats about flashbang or mb weapon suppression than?

doeseits matter of a choise when alien with tank defense aircraft speed and +++TU has no disadvantages at all?

defence and regeneration gives them(viper?reaper as expected for example) way to come close. high attwalue make them a street sweeper if in pack... neverless - zmbie or minor viper - they are pack hunters. and run tactics is the worst, because they havemore tu that my soldiers.

ps2. doese second fire attack done by different soldier break the method of reaction so the alien doesn't run on it, waitind second fire from first? just intrested.

Edited by Kirill Selivanov

Yes indeed vanilla make the changes, they increase reaction modifier of melee weapons to make more useful close combat attacks. At least melee aliens can can make 1 or 2 hits to trigger reaction fire. This change implemented by vanilla is good and bad, good because closer reaction fire have more chance to hit the melee alien and bad because the aliens can "do something" against players that only try to deal this kind of aliens with reaction fire.

Dont camp, explorer, dont wait aliens to come for you, because you will be surrounded in a pair of turns. Make exploratory movements and try to take down aliens at distance, keep you high reaction pistols and shotguns ready for the aliens that come.

to be clear never used shotgun. mb it is upgraded for now... but rifles and MG deal all good. never liked to hav aliens in close... maybe because that my experiense is not full... shoot them all from the distance!!! dont come close to kiss them or they make a plasmadinner from you!!!

ps. camp? how to camp on a little maps when 3-5 aliens come to tell you how is that day good day to die?

ps2. lets make a compactization tech, so 2 aliens could use 1 tile and small scout coud take more than 9 of them-))) 5 aliens (2 eggs, 3 minor vipers) in little scout is a wonderful time to make them blow togeter and take a medal, ha-ha-))) want a 10+ super medal that give +5 bravery!!!

Ha, started a new run to see how other approaches worked in the early game, got this on my second mission :Phttp://i.imgur.com/FgdbGYD.jpg

This is a problem with your vanilla instalation, I recomend you to install the Alternative Tile Atlas. This files are not touched by this mod, is part of tiles and maps that come from vanilla or map packs.

emmm.... NEVER saw armed civilian that killed reaper, viper, zombie or even non-combatant caesian-)))

and the strategy of one shot&run is pure suicide. with their 20 tiles run you have ONLY one turn you sptet them ANYWHERE. next turn they are near and make a 50-100% 1 kill. if they close mucher thant 10 tiles 1-2 kills/turn

ps. sory to bother... but regeneration makes all hit&run strategy a bullet waste.

well... haven't any idea to say, but the maps aren't so big to run-run-run tactics too. if there more than 1 alien - they become bloody more than often-)))

it'sjust my mention. nothing with that strategy, but wiseversus... lets have some any other perspective...whats about flashbang or mb weapon suppression than?

doeseits matter of a choise when alien with tank defense aircraft speed and +++TU has no disadvantages at all?

defence and regeneration gives them(viper?reaper as expected for example) way to come close. high attwalue make them a street sweeper if in pack... neverless - zmbie or minor viper - they are pack hunters. and run tactics is the worst, because they havemore tu that my soldiers.

ps2. doese second fire attack done by different soldier break the method of reaction so the alien doesn't run on it, waitind second fire from first? just intrested.

You do understand that i play like this most of the time and rarely lose soldier on veteran difficulty ?Ansd how come you never saw that farm killed viper for instance,I have seen that dozen times.Also what good are smoke and flash bombs when all vipers/gargols are near impossible to suppress and they ignore smoke.Best way to deal with them is to lead them to an ambush

Edited by Sentelin

Balance Issues:

-TU cost for shooting actions vs Ammo cost is quite reasonable, seems about right. Especially assault burst TU cost, better and more real than vanilla's. Take consideration of one turn = 30 secs (base on Xcom: Enemy Unknown - fishing village mission).

-Soldiers' accuracy ridiculously high (for assault rifle). I have a guy with 71 ACC (starting elite) he gave dead shots with his assault rifle: 95% at max range (normal difficulty - kneel). The guy right behind him with sniper rifle, 72 ACC, 45% acc, kneel, same target. Bug or something?

-Same two soldier as above, if the front guy stands up, he'd block the guy behind 100%.

-Gargol = early game threat with their armors. I can deal with Sebillian easily, but freak out with gargol encounters.

-AK-47 doesn't have pop-up information on loadout screen. Also, It should has slightly different stats than M16, to players choices: Such as: clip size 30, slightly higher damage, much shorter range => in the middle of M16 and Winchester (shotgun)...

-AK-74 would be more suitable to the game's setting, art can be found here

Thoughts on Xenopedia's beautification.

-Entries for new Aerial Weapon seem weird with the demonstration picture AND caption on the image. Can you change the format to suits with vanilla Autocannon and Avalanche?

-Entry for Cobra Maneuver is not very good with the current wanna-be-handwriting fonts.

-Again: I hope you guy will find good artist to re-design Xenopedia.

Edited by greatergood45

You do understand that i play like this most of the time and rarely lose soldier on veteran difficulty ?Ansd how come you never saw that farm killed viper for instance,I have seen that dozen times.Also what good are smoke and flash bombs when all vipers/gargols are near impossible to suppress and they ignore smoke.Best way to deal with them is to lead them to an ambush

I do, so i play the sameand in veteran-)

But that's my story - i really haven't saw it anytime ever! shotgun, pistol, rifle... none. from vanila and here in XNT mod - both.

Yup... umbush is clear- make them see 1 soldier and other in the back of the house or rock or something... so they when come, could make reaction fire in close distance. no other strategy wins with them faster. or you must make a 2line full squad and fire from all you have... and pray it forget about you and go look for something else in its turn (or die from just fire in its tile made by the rocket blow.. heh... had one time that funny thing).

flashbang? i forgeted about them - they are useless against minor vipers and gargols. or i doesnt understood you in that

Edited by Kirill Selivanov

@ GreaterGood.

I will answer to some of your issues that are not issues at all.

^^

- im glad you like TU system, we favored automatic weapons in some way. If we want to talk about realistic turns, did you know hpw many shots can fire an automatic rifle or submachinegun in 30 seconds? Lot of models can even burst 100 bullets in 20 seconds. o.O. The model we set here is abstract but have in consideration tge Accuracy penalties and desicions of the player.

- If we are talking about your starting soldiers, they are veterans. A soldier with 71 Accuracy is a veteran hardforged soldier with high accuracy. About the sniper maybe is something of understanding, Sniper is a stationary long range weapon, all heavy weapons of the game are difficult to set and dont suppoused to use on the run. In other hand Machineguns and Snipers are not suited to deal with enemies at close range, this weapons dont recieve bonus of close range. If you move the accuracy of your sniper is reduced to 40% of the real accuracy, if your trying to hit a enemy in close range assault rifles, pistols and shotguns are your weapon.

- I discuss this feature in other post but this makes sense and adds lot of fixes to alien accuracy and tactical options. Get out the box of the vanilla, just try to use the rules for your benefit. ^^

- Yes Ak47 is an alternative and completly different rifle in comparison to M16.

Xenopedias:

- Theon is a great artist, I think that the only thing that can make this arts better is resolution. The mark of the mod is our Brand, If this is a mod we dont want to make all the content exacly to vanilla, thats near impossible considering we have no budget.

Edited by TacticalDragon

@ GreaterGood.

Xenopedias:

- Theon is a great artist, I think that the only thing that can make this arts better is resolution. The mark of the mod is our Brand, If this is a mod we dont want to make all the content exacly to vanilla, thats near impossible considering we have no budget.

TD... that in close, Chris must pay you than-)))

I think its a right choise to have some differense that make its own way, if it doesn't crash all atmosphere. Theon doesn't-)))

@ Tactical Dragon:

-About TU and real time: A soldier have to aim than burst 3 shot, and shoot 2 to 4 bursts. I think it's reasonable if you think of that.

-Thank you for explaining about stationary accuracy, I didn't notice. However, I still think 95% at max range with 72 ACC is tool high.

-The art of Xenopedia is great, just that I'd like to see the similarity between articles. You know guys with OCD (kidding). However, I have to stress that the image of Cobra Maneuver is my least favorite.

@ Tactical Dragon:

-About TU and real time: A soldier have to aim than burst 3 shot, and shoot 2 to 4 bursts. I think it's reasonable if you think of that.

-Thank you for explaining about stationary accuracy, I didn't notice. However, I still think 95% at max range with 72 ACC is tool high.

-The art of Xenopedia is great, just that I'd like to see the similarity between articles. You know guys with OCD (kidding). However, I have to stress that the image of Cobra Maneuver is my least favorite.

I will have all of this in consideration. Remember that we are lookog for a stable and solid system, 95% Burst shots can be only executed when no obstacle is in the way and the target is close, in other hand remember that this number is not completly true, for some reason you can miss 3 shot of a burst even a point blank. I found the formula and set this system intentional. ^^

Thank you so much.

@Kirill,

:)

A small budget for a expansion could be a great idea but I think that this is impossible right now. We try to do our best for now.

^^

Those soldiers in the picture are kind of doomed once the giant wave the downed UFO will produce reaches them, don't they realize that :)

Hahahha Yes, this art is awesome and dark.

Would there be any technical reason in particular I might not be able to craft Alien Alloys anymore?

I'm running firebat, although I may be missing the hot fix. Would that be why?

In which point of the game you are? The Alien Alloy Production is enabled, did you dissemble the Corvette?