Ground battles get repetitive fast - make them more interesting in the long term

I like the game very much, but the ground combat feels repetitive pretty fast. Strangly I didn't have that feeling with X-COM EU/EW.

I guess it was a good turn to increase the Airstrike reward which lowers the need of grinding a little bit. Other than that, who has some good Ideas how the battles could be more exciting and be less "same procedure every time"? I sincerely hope that the Xenonauts team still wants to improve the game besides critical patches.

I'll strt with some ideas:

• Don't always put enemies in the UFO, let the UFO sometimes be destroyed or empty. Aliens might only be on the rest of the map
  • Add more maps :)
  • Add special missions (like the city rescue missions, but maybe like small little "quests". Rescue someone, Protect something, ...)
  • Add random events (e.g. there was a valuable Alien Alloy delivery in the UFO. But the UFO will self destruct in 20 turns. If you manage to capture it and defuse the bomb you get the bonus. Otherwise you just win like always)
  • Speed up "Hidden Enemy Movement"

Further official content is almost certainly not going to happen (unless Chris has a massive U-turn).

There's some potential in mods, though. I've already been experimenting with the first point in my Dynamic UFOs mod. And as there's a map editor packaged with the game, there's inevitably going to be more maps produced by folks in time (if you haven't already, check out Skitso's excellent map pack on the mapping forum). Another possibility (again which I've kind of looked at in my mod) is increasing the likelihood of landed UFOs, as these missions are tougher and you're more likely to fight them at night (and night missions are quite a different experience).

The other things couldn't be added in without source-code changes, though.

Thanks for pointing the map packs out, looks promising. Also I appreciate the work of you modders. I'm sure there are more nice things to come.

Sad to hear that he doesn't want to follow the footsteps of other successfull indie developers and offer frequent updates with new features. I guess he is just happy that he finally delivers the game. I think the game could be improved to an indie A++ title with some more content / features. The base of the game is certainly good. In my opinion they should have been a little bit more inventetive in some areas, and tried to enhance the original X-Com instead of imitating it. But this could still be done in the future, who knows.

Maybe after a break he will return to this project and give it some new features. If it's something big that matters, I would even spend a few bucks for a DLC.

I think they are already working for about 3-4 years on the game and had a lot of trouble implementing ANY feature in this engine, I can understand that they want to get things over with. Yes it's sad that they will stop producting extra content but I can understand that they can far more productive with another titel and another engine.

The main issue is the game engine. By all accounts, it's barely suitable for the game and it seems a miracle that the game has turned out as good as it has given the trouble they've had with it. As such, I believe Chris is of the opinion that time and money would be better spent making a new game from fresh, rather than trying to cram more things into a game that only just hangs together.

Bear in mind XCOM also cost three times the price of Xenonauts at release, too. The average player gets 40-45 hours of gameplay from Xenonauts, which is decent enough for $20.

Well, it's 23 Euro here, so it's closer to thirty dollars than twenty. Also, release date when? :)

I'm just complaining about regional pricing on Steam, since it's 23 Euro there, so it's not exactly a $20 game in eyes of many people (even though I bought it for 15 Euro off Humble Store).

However, Xenonauts gave me much more fun than X-COM did, so mission accoplished, I think. :)

As for the OP - I don't know if what you say is really valid. With the number of tactical options (rocket launchers for everyone is my favorite), I don't think I'll be bored of ground combat anytime soon.

40 hours of gameplay from Xenonauts? I get that in two days :P

Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like people who enjoy this type of game are not going to put it down after 40 hours. There is nothing out there right now that feels like Xenonauts.

It's not just about a fair price, it's also about what people are willing to pay for such games these days. Turn based game are a niche genre now and most indie games become really hard to sell when you go beyond 20 bucks. You have to adapt to the market if you want to sell your product.

Might be :)

I meant with "these days" in comparison to the time when original X-Com came out, a time where shooters just became a thing and games like Master of Magic where main stream pc games. Maybe they won't fit today exatly in the definition of "niche", assuming there is an objective meaning for it, but it's still harder to sell them since the demografic is smaller. Dosen't mean they won't sell, niche dosen't mean bad. A niche game can still sell very well within its niche which can include thousands of players.

Edited by Larus

I do not understand the whole bit about game prices. If you pay 20$ and only get 20 hours out of it, which is little, then you've paid 1$ per hour, which is much less than a movie ticket or most other forms of entertainment. And with a strategy game, you get 20 hours easily even if you do not end up liking the game!

And at Chris' claim of a 40-hour average, that's 0.5$ per hour. Come on.