Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entering "Polishing" phase!

Entering "Polishing" phase!

Today Giovanni put in the updated victory / loss screens, and the artist is working on the final artwork for these (they currently use draft versions of it). Aaron and I also finished designing the unique tiles and the layout work on the final mission; this is just awaiting final balance and the 2D paintovers of the existing art / floor. Xenonauts is now nearly complete, and theoretically at that point we could kick it out of the door whenever we wanted.

However, "complete" is not the same as "finished". I'm aware there is still work to be done on usability, balance, optimisation and stability. That will all take place during the polishing phase, which will last until we're happy with the final quality of the game.

V21 Stable will mark us entering the polishing phase, and we'll be changing our development methodology a little:

• We will completely reset our bug trackers, and ask people to report any issue they experience with the game no matter how small or how many times it may have been reported in the past.
    • We will be setting up a public issue tracker, which will list and prioritise all bugs / issues that are on our radar (only we will be able to add issues to this).
    • The Beta Discussion, Community Involvement and Suggestions forums will be merged into a Balance Discussion forum, as they'll overlap quite heavily.
    • We will remove the Experimental bug reporting forums.
    • We'll also be starting to get the Kickstarter rewards printed up!

We're hoping that these changes will make everything a bit more efficient, removing some of the repetition from bug reporting and stopping important / annoying issues from falling between the cracks. We're almost certainly not going to be able to fix all of the issues on our public tracker, but the added visibility should help the feedback process greatly.

I may start doing the forum changes shortly, so don't be too alarmed when sub-forums start vanishing!
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Congratulations!

Do spelling/grammar mistakes count towards the bug reset? The sticky thread for the Xenopedia correction thread's not in the bug forum at the moment, which is why I'm unsure. Are you going to unsticky that one?
    Last edited by Ol' Stinky; 03-11-2014 at 17:28.
    Details and updates on my map packs in this thread. I'll bump it when I've got something for you from now on.

Stinky Map Pack 2: Currently 71 maps. 15th November update: a fix for my industrial maps in v20 can be downloaded here. Extract it into your Xenonauts dir, after you've installed either community review packs or Stinky Map Pack 2.

Yes, they will. It'll be literally anything...although I won't be changing any of the Xenopedia technobabble, just accepting corrections on grammar and spelling etc.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Great work Chris & co. Its been a great ride!

Commander
    Awesome, and congratulations!

It was one hell of a ride. Congratulations to the whole team and the dedicated members of this community who made it possible.

Awards:
    Posting Award
    Yay! Really great to see it so close now. Looking forward to v21
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

I really hope Desura users will be able to participate in the polishing phase.

Please remember that not all of us use Steam - yet we still want to contribute to the game before it is released.

Any guesses on when v21 stable will be available? *wants*