22 July Progress Update

It's about time for another development update. Probably the most interesting news is that we've decided the next V19 Experimental build will be the last one to add new features, so once that arrives we'll go on another bug-fixing drive. Once we've fixed all the major bugs affecting play, we'll release it as V19 Stable.

The next build is going to include the new Geoscape alert style, which matches the new topbar style and is quite a bit more attractive than the current "black box" style we use (the content remains the same). It will also contain the air combat auto-resolve, and improvements to the alien bases and final mission.

What it will not contain is the updated UI for the various non-Geoscape screens. Progress on that has been slower than I was hoping (largely because the programmer responsible for it has been on holiday), and we still need to do the new Base screen and then fine tune all the other ones that have already been done.

We're continuing to plough through the remaining art that needs to be done - hopefully all of the autopsy art will be done by the next build etc. I need to finish off editing the Xenopedia, as that's slightly fallen by the wayside recently but needs to be finished. Aaron is continuing to work on the balance and improving usability. Once we start working on the bugfixing, I'll also review the community maps and probably build a few new ones too.

So I'm not sure V19 Stable is going to blow anyone's mind, but it should be a steady improvement over V18 Stable. After the next experimental build we'll be posting up some threads for people to report the bugs that are annoying them the most, and we'll start prioritising fixes for them.

I've also started work on putting together this art book for the Xenonauts Kickstarter - once I finished drafting that, we'll be getting that and the T-shirts / posters printed out. So if you're a Kickstarter backer, we've started the wheels moving on getting the physical goods going. That's been hanging over our heads for a while now, so I think it's best that we start to tackle that sooner rather than later.

In terms of general updates, things are going well here at Goldhawk. We're in the middle of a heatwave here in London (apparently it's meant to be 33 degrees Celsius today), which predictably means it is incredibly hot and stuffy in a room full of computers, and catching the tube is much like standing fully clothed in a sauna with a bunch of sweat-drenched strangers for half an hour. It's even reached the point where Aaron is no longer wearing heavy black jeans every single day...he turned up in (camouflage) shorts on Friday! Quite something.

Oh, and I now have internet access again. I have been moving house again recently, and two of the people I lived with moved out a month earlier than everyone else - and helpfully cancelled the internet when they did so. My new place has teh interwebz though, so I'll probably be better at answering emails or checking the forums etc than I have been over the past month.

So overall things are good, and hopefully V19 Stable will be along soon.

All sounds well. Hope you can get all of the art and xenopedia done. That's one of my favorite parts of the game and really helps to set it apart from other X-Com TBS.

Also, on the note of the kickstarter rewards, is there any way to purchase some now? I was just wondering. Maybe like at an increased price for a little extra money. I just figured this would be the best time to ask while you are getting them in bulk.

Thanks for the update.

and catching the tube is much like standing fully clothed in a sauna with a bunch of sweat-drenched strangers for half an hour.

You can do that for free?! London, truly the city of wonders. Must dash, so I can take advantage of the lovely sea breezes here :)

I dont suppose we could have an update about the future of the alien ai at some point? Just curios.

EDIT: I mean just an post about what will be done about the AI in the future.

Edited by Name

I am currently on a train coming out of london... its really not much fun in here!!

I think the update I am most looking forward to is one that fixes the bugs in human bases. Haven't played for a month as keep getting to the same sort of time (december) where I get attacked every 5 mins and lose most of my soldiers cause of bugs.

Other than that, look forward to being able to play through properly at some point soon!!!