Not sure if this is a feature or a bug so decided to post it here. Had a mission where I assume all the aliens died on impact because I won instantly after taking my first turn.

Personally I think that's pretty cool that you can have a mission where it's literally just recovery but was wondering if it's supposed to be something that can happen.

I agree that it's a neat feature, the only problem I see with it is the 'oh?!' factor. If the mission finishes on turn 1, then it would be a little confusing for a player, who might then get a little annoyed if that keeps happening. Is there any way to pre-calc how many aliens die in a crash before ground combat occurs? That way we could have a crew wipeout, and resolve it without having to go into ground combat.

If all the crew die the ship should be classed as destroyed and removed.

If the ship creates a crash site there should be at least one enemy otherwise I would find it frustrating to load up the mission only to be told I don't need to be there.

But you would get items and bodies without fighting every once in a while! That's pretty cool I think and highly realistic.

Well, I think the current functionality shouldn't be changed. Yes, it may be a coding error (well, logic error) that sees them all dying on at the point of crash, but it's a nice little twist and as the UFO's get bigger it will stop happening.

As an FYI, Enemy Unknown used to do it on occasion as well in the early game. It's no bad thing.

Maybe the zero-alien missions could be counterbalanced by occasionally making crash sites more deadly.

Just off the top of my head, one example might be the UFO's power source being critically damaged in the crash - it hasn't exploded YET, but it might during the mission when your Xenonauts approach it. Naturally, the alien survivors would be able to tell if their reactor's unstable, so they'd start the mission far from it. (Thus, the explosion won't kill a bunch of them for another easy victory...)

I really don't see the appeal in loading up a mission only to load back to the geoscape because no enemies had spawned.

That would look like a bug to me and I would think it was sloppy work if I came across it in the release version.

That's why it would go to a art screen explaining that all aliens had died on impact and recovery operations were now underway and then go to the mission successful screen.

I really don't see the appeal in loading up a mission only to load back to the geoscape because no enemies had spawned.

That would look like a bug to me and I would think it was sloppy work if I came across it in the release version.

+1

I fully agree with Gauddlikes sentiments.

+1

I fully agree with Gauddlikes sentiments.

I agree that in it's present form it's not so good, BUT, would you not like it if a message was added that said, "There are no alien survivors. Recovery operations underway." and AFTER that message you pickup some dead aliens and equipment? This seems very realistic to me. Plus it adds an element of surprise to the missions.

No I would still dislike it.

If all the aliens die the site should be classed as a destroyed craft and not generate a crash site for me.

Free gear for no risk at all is just not in line with the aesthetic of the game in my eyes.

If free gear crashes had to be added I would want them to not load you into ground combat at all.

A geoscape message would save a lot of frustration.

Again I agree with Gauddlike, getting free stuff isn't really that fun...

And StellarRat: "realistic" isn't a good argument to sway me. Look at my signature. Realism ranks very low on my list. The only reason I sometimes use it as an argument is because it seems to be a prevailing holy grail for other people.

Again I agree with Gauddlike, getting free stuff isn't really that fun...

And StellarRat: "realistic" isn't a good argument to sway me. Look at my signature. Realism ranks very low on my list. The only reason I sometimes use it as an argument is because it seems to be a prevailing holy grail for other people.

But, look at it this way, IT'S NOT REALLY FREE, you risked aircraft in air to air combat to get the crash, so you did have to fight for the goodies. In fact, it's quite possible a plane was shot down to get this stuff.

Well... seeing as there's opposition to the idea, with a mission that has 0 alien survivors, you could changes the rules. The mission parameters as they stand are either kill the aliens or secure the UFO. Fine. Make the mission secure the UFO, with teams of aliens spawning on the edge of the map. How about that?

Well... seeing as there's opposition to the idea, with a mission that has 0 alien survivors, you could changes the rules. The mission parameters as they stand are either kill the aliens or secure the UFO. Fine. Make the mission secure the UFO, with teams of aliens spawning on the edge of the map. How about that?
I think all the opinions are out there now. I guess it's up to Chris. I'm not opposed to just fixing the "bug", but I do think the "no survivors" thing is a good variation and adds to the immersion. I seem to remember this happening in the original XCom from time to time. It won't kill me if it's not in there.

I would make it a race to the crash site if you really wanted to add this.

If a ship crashes and their are no living crew it has a different type of crash site.

You get a message saying 'local authorities report no resistance at crash site' or something similar.

You can send out a dropship to that site as normal but there is a very limited time to get there as the regional government is also sending a team to collect the wreck.

The dropship must have at least one trooper in it.

You do not load into ground combat.

If you get there first you get some of the stuff you would normally get.

If you don't then the country must have made it there before you and Roswell'd it.