(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

this mod is even more difficult to vanilla. The event that you describe is only the beginning, early in game if you found some of this aliens I suggest you to retreat until you have better tech.

actually i dont know if anyone think like me..but this..is EXACTLY why i love this mod..that feel of overwhelming inferiority,impotence,fear. in vainilla game i never had to cancel a mission. but with this,i was assaulting a scout and everithing was fine...but them....BUUM!!! three vipers appears from nowhere and rip my sargeant,i tried to hold them back but them another two more soldiers died..a "easy and succesfull normal mission" suddenly transform in a nightmare, in a race to the charlie,i only had one survivor but when he get his medal (i dont know how to explain it,but in vainilla i get that medal a lot of times but it was just like: meh whatever, but here...i feel proud,i feel that corporal truly deserve it, and thats why i start playing this mod,for a challenge, and im really happy with the "flow" of the invasion (i mean..they are really superior to us,not only 'cuz they had plasma weaponry)

I maybe have tweaked it a bit, i change the numbers of soldiers your transporters can carry..from 8 to 10(on chinook),10>13(shrike),12>16(valkyrie) is just a very simple and almost subtle change...but i think it "improves" your chances (just a little bit more..i tried and even when i got incressed numbers of kia..i feel more secure with only two more soldiers xD)

Edited by blackwolf

Darki99

Ich glaube Selgald meint das hier:

Achtung für XNT Spieler

-Erst installiert ihr XNT, dann die deutsche Übersetzung.

-Dann kopiert ihr die Datei gamesconfig.xml aus dem XNT Installationsarchiv, nach \Xenonauts\assets

-Dies ist notwendig, da XNT mit anderen Werten arbeitet, als Vanilla Xenonauts.

Ein extra Schrifft für XNT Übersetzung

-------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a issue, every time a caesan leader rect fire my game crash. Any suggestion?

No idea, I haven't set up GC weapons or combat AI. But it would probably be prudent if you uploaded a savegame of when the bug happens so Tactical Dragon can check it out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

@Blackwolf,

Lol, you seem to tweak your game the same way I do (i set charlie --> 10, shrike --->12, valkyrie --->14). And to balance I double or tripple rank requirements (depending on rank). TD and Sentelin think it's not balanced though.

ok i encountered a weird thing in game in conquering a corvette with caesan crew a xenonaut go beserk shoots the much needed officer and after that the game freezes in Alien turn can move the cursor but game does nothing even escape button doesnt work so i dont have any screenshot or save game to show you guys. had to close the game with ctrl alt delete.

the psi thing(beserking) is a bit heavy in the mod my opinion and how come one Xenonaut gets unerved and another one goes beserk happens all the time to me.

regards,

Hello executor, this mod is even more difficult to vanilla. The event that you describe is only the beginning, early in game if you found some of this aliens I suggest you to retreat until you have better tech. In which difficulty are you running the game? You need to be extra carefully and very tactical to deal early missions. This mod has randomized encounters and is more punishing in comparison to vanilla. You will find out when you go step deeper in the game.

Any feedback is welcome.

Takes a bit of save-scumming, but I guess the Deltas are doable. I reloaded to prior to the mission and gave each of my soldiers two C4s. When I restarted the mission, the Delta was conveniently killing civilians right in front of me. Took 4-5 C4s to take him out.

On a sidenote: tossing a C4 into a fire tile detonates it immediately, so you only need to set off the first C4 with a flashbang.

i have a issue, every time a caesan leader rect fire my game crash. Any suggestion?

I already tried to solve this and it turns out it's that save game got corrupted at some point and that's what crashing game (just ask Selgald he was the one with problem),neither was something wrong in weapon_gc nor airprops (out of curiosity could you tell me in what type of UFO you encounter leader).I was getting Run Time C++ error every time i tried to load save that Selgald provided.

Edited by Sentelin

@Blackwolf,

Lol, you seem to tweak your game the same way I do (i set charlie --> 10, shrike --->12, valkyrie --->14). And to balance I double or tripple rank requirements (depending on rank). TD and Sentelin think it's not balanced though.

yes! exatcly xD,i double the requeriments to Sgt (to 25 IIRC,and 40 to LT,upward then was just +10,i mean..if you miracously manage to survive 25+ missions,you totally deserve a captain promotion)just to balance,and also because i was sick(in vainilla version) of geting a lot of officers just for killing a couple of red-shirt caesans :T

2nd. about the transport tweaks, in the soldierimage folders there are up to 16 icons of soldiers...but is the game prepared to manage more xenonauts than that number? (example 20,i had been curious about this all the day),and..dont you think the actual speed cruise of the charlie is a little to much ?(1100 km..thats almost the barrier of sound!)

i tweaked it to a closer vainilla speed 700-750 >_<(also for balancing)

Edited by blackwolf

Doubling the requirements is not a good idea i think. Cause rank in this game is something like a "level" indicator. I like to have highly ranked soldiers (i mean ranked appropriately to their skills) cause it shows me what their rly can do. Like in the RPG games.

But if u meant the strange situations where u sent Majors and Generals into battle and want to lower the amount of high rank soldiers then I agree. But it a different case and should be corrected in a diffrent way (rather changing rank names instead of rank requirements).

mmm for what i read from TD..i thought that the skill progression is independant of their rank (thats explain the cases when you get a 99 acuracy private...but a 42 acuracy leiutenant) i think that the rank requeriments are just the numbers of skill points you need to get to ascend to a certain rank so if the requeriment of corporal is 5 and if your rookie get +2 ACU +1 BRAVERY +2 TU ..then,he got promoted. THATS why i doubled the requeriments..so they need likely four...or five missions to ascend only to corporal(but thats depend of the points the soldier gained on a mission,so if they do a lot of things,is logical he got promoted first than others rookies )

(can someone please correct me if i am wrong?..i dont want to live confused forever xD)

Edited by blackwolf

You are absolutely right.

But look it is just a pure mathematics, each level is a label on the "skill" axis right? So by managing rank requirements u differ the concentration of the ranks. That mean your ranks are some kinds of label that only more on less indicates ur soldier general usefulness cause the real skill is hidden behind the label.

And now. In my games I lose statistically lets say 1-2 soldiers per mission (I remember I had 2 commanders once and that's it). So they die relatively often. With ur modification I would have only low level soldiers (but well trained cause as we only change rank progression not the skill progression) and it would ruin all my game cause I wouldn't be able to distinguish very experienced soldiers from the less ones.

I think your problem is that u are too good and your soldiers never die. So in your case u have to extend the rank progression axis to actually have something different than only the commanders. Am I right? :)

Edited by radek

I think your problem is that u are too good and your soldiers never die. So in your case u have to extend the rank progression axis to actually have something different than only the commanders. Am I right? :)

actually im not so good..right now i loss my LT Jean Rasczak :/...and i realized the name fits him well becaue he died like the mobile infantry xD, i loss between two to four by mission(with lucky no loss one),im okey with having low level soldiers...and only have a couple of officers who manage to survive missions (i do my best to keep them safe)and i think you are right..but also...not so right..because you will also get a lot of useless sergeants(or above) with low skill that only get promoted just by surviving two or three missions without achieving anything truly remarkable (i.e...four missions with three or more kills..give that man a beer a his badge!)

IN the last update I tweak the soldiers rank progression and Radek is right, the ranks affect the game in many level:

- Rank reflect the level of soldiers and his capacity.

- Gives morale to the team in 10 tiles

- If you increase the soldier capacity is better that you increase progression

- Rank is gained by the amount of points increased in the missions.

- Yes medals are harder to gain in this game.

@Blackwolf: Im glad you like the fact that you need to retreat and live a living nightmare.

^^

- Rank reflect the level of soldiers and his capacity.

- Gives morale to the team in 10 tiles

- If you increase the soldier capacity is better that you increase progression

- Rank is gained by the amount of points increased in the missions.

@Blackwolf: Im glad you like the fact that you need to retreat and live a living nightmare.

^^

1.so you are telling me that a captain get more points per mission that a corporal o.O?

2.yep i read the morale system,but i noticed that the penalty for losing a lt in a squad full of sgt and anothers lt leaded by a major is more than lossing a sergeant in a squad of corporals leaded by a single lt. xD(well at least in my campaings..i think it need a lot more testing)

3.what do you mean,sorry i dont understand you..progression of what?? XDD

nah THANK YOU and all the team who made this amazing mod ,i love the original xcom(1994) and xenonauts fulfill that...and this fulfill that challenge vainilla game gave me :D! (fulfill-ception xD)

1.so you are telling me that a captain get more points per mission that a corporal o.O?

2.yep i read the morale system,but i noticed that the penalty for losing a lt in a squad full of sgt and anothers lt leaded by a major is more than lossing a sergeant in a squad of corporals leaded by a single lt. xD(well at least in my campaings..i think it need a lot more testing)

3.what do you mean,sorry i dont understand you..progression of what?? XDD

nah THANK YOU and all the team who made this amazing mod ,i love the original xcom(1994) and xenonauts fulfill that...and this fulfill that challenge vainilla game gave me :D! (fulfill-ception xD)

Is more simple than that

1. Is like Radek says, If you select a Capitan you know that he will resist at least alien full round covered without panic, you know that he can run to enemy possition and destroy cover with a grenade, you know that he can execute Hit-and-Run tactics.... is only a perception, if you select a Sargent you know that he is more limited.

3. All points, if your soldier gain +3HP, +3TU, +2 ACC, +2 RFLX, he has a total of points progression of 10 points, the rank is taken by that amount of points.

Thank you for your support! :D

@Blackwolf,Radek

This is nothing that's going to get official (alothough rank progression will be a bit slower as TD just mentioned)

But imho it more fun and emotional this way: If you have a Corporal... he is a legend. And at this point you choose on which missions he goes and in what role very wisely. (Actually, you already cared and choose wisely if he is a live at this point (well that and luck)). But if you don't care about naming your soldiers and spending the extra time to set who goes on each missions...well then it's probably not for you.

When I play this way I always use a wide list of soldiers: There is no Team A, Team B for me(i.e. I would never send all my officers on one mission). I even send some of my officers on "retirement" (they get to command the garrisons of other bases). My game actually feel much more RPG (role-playing-game) than the RPG meaning which is proposed today (stats-and-title-improving game).

I remember I once had an officer hero with 20+ missions ... and I lost him whilst heroicly deffending a private. Because it was just what he would have done ^^.

- Gives morale to the team in 10 tiles (the higher rank the bigger the morale bonus)

- If you increase the soldier capacity is better that you increase progression (I think this means that when you advance you get extra points once, immediately after advanding? Am I right TD?)

@Blackwolf,Radek

This is nothing that's going to get official (alothough rank progression will be a bit slower as TD just mentioned)

But imho it more fun and emotional this way: If you have a Corporal... he is a legend. And at this point you choose on which missions he goes and in what role very wisely. (Actually, you already cared and choose wisely if he is a live at this point (well that and luck)). But if you don't care about naming your soldiers and spending the extra time to set who goes on each missions...well then it's probably not for you.

My game actually feel much more RPG (role-playing-game) than the RPG meaning which is proposed today (stats-and-title-improving game).

dude we absolutely think on the same way :D,thats why i edited the ranks proportions and yes i rename them,and also take care of them and truly feel bad when i loss them :/

I remember I once had an officer hero with 20+ missions ... and I lost him whilst heroicly deffending a private. Because it was just what he would have done ^^.

thats so sad :c ..i just loss a lt. a few missions ago, bukkaked by a lots of vipers,im still feeling guilty :c

actually it was quite tragicomedy......because for some stupid reason when they fled,they dont move to anyplace safe...just DIRETCLY to the enemy..then tere was a lot of reaction fires and bum...i think this guy tooks really serious the part of "never surrender" (also happened twice in a row in the same mission)

actually it was quite tragicomedy......because for some stupid reason when they fled,they dont move to anyplace safe...just DIRETCLY to the enemy..then tere was a lot of reaction fires and bum...i think this guy tooks really serious the part of "never surrender" (also happened twice in a row in the same mission)

Solver managed to kind of fix this by making them stop when they see an enemy.How things were it was like this ...:

-Panick

-Run to next close alien

-Detect that alien

-Run closer to that alien

-Detect another alien

-Get even closer if you have enough TU.

when you advance you get extra points once, immediately after advanding

Wait ... where is the code that controls this? I've been trying to figure it out because on promotion there's always a big stat bonus to my troops but I don't know why.

I enjoy to RP too and love your idea of increased troops but harder ranking requirements. I already went through and assigned new rank names (based off warhammer40k ranks) and new rank insignia cause it was getting ridiculous the number of officers I had lol.

To go along with it I also tweaked soldier costs and starting stats, giving a wider range on Strength, Accuracy HP, and Reflex smaller range on TUs and Bravery (cause honestly who would hire soldiers that don't do basic cardio and have no combat experience) which forces me to assign more specific roles to my troops and hire lots of them.

I also added 1 starting weapon to the game, a P90 that is "newbie proof" ... it's basically halfway between a rifle and a shotgun, similar to the carbines later on that I assign to the many, many recruits that come through my doors lol. I find that it helps a lot to get through missions in the first few months when you can encounter zombies and vipers etc and need something with better reaction fire than the rifle and more range than the shotgun.

It just lets me play my way while using all of the awesome stuff in your mod!

Also, I haven't been able to figure out what this line does:

<startingSoldiersStatBonus value="9" comment="Bonus applied to starting soldiers' stats" />

if anyone here can answer that'd be awesome!

Darki99

Ich glaube Selgald meint das hier:

Achtung für XNT Spieler

-Erst installiert ihr XNT, dann die deutsche Übersetzung.

-Dann kopiert ihr die Datei gamesconfig.xml aus dem XNT Installationsarchiv, nach \Xenonauts\assets

-Dies ist notwendig, da XNT mit anderen Werten arbeitet, als Vanilla Xenonauts.

Ein extra Schrifft für XNT Übersetzung

-------------------------------------------------------------------

No idea, I haven't set up GC weapons or combat AI. But it would probably be prudent if you uploaded a savegame of when the bug happens so Tactical Dragon can check it out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

@Blackwolf,

Man I could sure use the help of 2 more soldiers per mission what file do I need to modify to increase the squad size also

So please clarify things for me; Is slower rank progresion has any influence on game expt morale bonus from high rank officers?

I think you get extra points (hp/ accuracy etc.) the moment you advance. But I would like someone to confirm this too. I notice this especialy when priv --> corp (in my games you need 2-3 missions to do that)

Man I could sure use the help of 2 more soldiers per mission what file do I need to moddify to increase the squad size also

aircrafts xml. Charlie has a max of 10 soldiers so don't put in more. And don't add more vehicle slots.

<startingSoldiersStatBonus value="9" comment="Bonus applied to starting soldiers' stats" />

The 6 soldiers you start with are your elite. They have better stats than fresh recruits.

Wait ... where is the code that controls this?

If it's not my imagination than it's hardcoded cos I can't find any values in gameconfig (You wouldn't imagine the amount of hardcoded things in this game ^^)