(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

<Row>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ManTech.LandingDSB</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Aircraft</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">80</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">15000</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">1xItems.AlienCruiserDatacore</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">1200</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="8" ss:StyleID="s68"><Data ss:Type="String">StockItem( "Items.LandingHull" );</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="10"><Data ss:Type="String">airplane.human.valkyrie</Data></Cell>  </Row>  <Row>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ManTech.CrusierDSB</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Aircraft</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">100</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">30000</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">1xItems.AlienCruiserDatacore</Data></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">1500</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="8" ss:StyleID="s68"><Data ss:Type="String">StockItem( "Items.CrusierHull" );</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:Index="10"><Data ss:Type="String">airplane.human.valkyrie</Data></Cell>  </Row>

The landing ship disassembly requires a cruiser data core, rather than the landing ship core. Easy fix.

Just swap "Items.AlienCruiserDatacore" for "Items.AlienLandingCraftDatacore" in the landing ship manufactures entry. Seems to fix it without any problems.

i wish i could help more..i replaced the apollo ufopedia image with this,i think stay on the same art field so it doesnt look so "out of place"...but maybe only in my taste xD

apollo.jpg

su.jpg

edit: sorry i put the SU placeholder im using now..im sure i can find a better pic

apollo.jpg

su.jpg

apollo.jpg.5afbf94a7a905ce26ddb73ac38a3b

su.thumb.jpg.fb2efc05d28de8be0555908240a

Edited by blackwolf

Hey guys. New to the mod here and muddling through trying to figure out all the changes. So far really enjoying the new feel it gives the game. There's a lot of undocumented stuff (at least not in the changelog) and some of it I find kind of confusing. I don't mind learning some things the hard way (like that F-17s die in approximately 1 second now lol) but a lot of things you can't figure out without going into the game files, and that's a bit of a problem (at least for me since I like to at least know why I'm messing up when I do).

For example, it is REALLY hard to level up TUs in this mod, but relatively easy to level up Bravery. Why is this done this way? I calculated that even starting at max TUs it would take over 1300 battles to max out TUs. This means picking high TU recruits is possibly the best choice, or at least weights it heavily. Is there a reason for this?

Hey guys. New to the mod here and muddling through trying to figure out all the changes. So far really enjoying the new feel it gives the game. There's a lot of undocumented stuff (at least not in the changelog) and some of it I find kind of confusing. I don't mind learning some things the hard way (like that F-17s die in approximately 1 second now lol) but a lot of things you can't figure out without going into the game files, and that's a bit of a problem (at least for me since I like to at least know why I'm messing up when I do).

For example, it is REALLY hard to level up TUs in this mod, but relatively easy to level up Bravery. Why is this done this way? I calculated that even starting at max TUs it would take over 1300 battles to max out TUs. This means picking high TU recruits is possibly the best choice, or at least weights it heavily. Is there a reason for this?

Hello thrakkemarn and welcome to XNT world

Actually the xenopedia gives a lot of instructions, the aircombat try to reflect the fragility of conventional aircrafts, but their maneuverability and attributes makes each combat more accurate to the real dogfight and interception. Only modern aircraft have huge resistance.

About the TU system, at the contrary in Vanilla game the variable "point to progress" is set to 150, thats mean that when you spend 150 TU your soldier gain a point of TU at the en of the battle, in XNT things happend different you need to spend 50 points to increase TU by 1, and you can do this 5 times for battle, in a single row you can train 5 TU points.

Any help or tips that you need, your welcome to ask us.

Thanks for your feedback!

mmmm well if i tought it logically...it requires more battles to get improved TU (and maybe almost sobrehuman speed to run longer and do a lot of stuff) by doing the same thing over and over and over again (for example solving a rubik's cube or reloading a weapon) than getting guts in battle (i mean..sure you crap your pants out the first time you see plasma bolts soaring over your head...but after a couple of battles...men your badass soldiers are now collecting caesan fingers and sebilian hides as battle trophies xD),

Edited by blackwolf

mmmm well if i tought it logically...it requires more battles to get improved TU (and maybe almost sobrehuman speed to run longer and do a lot of stuff) by doing the same thing over and over and over again (for example solving a rubik's cube or reloading a weapon) than getting guts in battle (i mean..sure you crap your pants out the first time you see plasma bolts soaring over your head...but after a couple of battles...men your badass soldiers are now collecting caesan fingers and sebilian hides as battle trophies xD)

You will need the bravery, believe me xD

Wow quick reply! Hmm, OK I think I may have overwritten some things trying to merge a mod :eek:. I did a clean install and now this is what I have:

<APProgress pointsToProgress="50" maxPointsInSingleBattle="3" globalMaxProgress="150" comment="A progress point is earned every time a soldier spends a TU on a mission" />

vs this in vanilla:

<APProgress pointsToProgress="250" maxPointsInSingleBattle="500" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned every time a soldier spends a TU on a mission" />

Thanks for the clarification I knew something was going wrong with my game!

p.s. Wasn't trying to criticize the air combat haha! I just discovered it the hard way =) It's definitely my favorite thing in Xenonauts vs X-Com.

p.p.s. Does it matter whether tweaks are made to the gameconfig file in assets vs the base folder? I've been mirroring any changes just in case, but was curious if it was just there as a backup or something.

for example thats why i specifically edited the rank progession of my soldiers...i found really silly that after a two battles and barely killing only one no combatant caesan they get promoted to Sgt.(once i get a Lt. by doing this i swear!)

Really? Actually is harder reach Sargent in XNT

VANILLA

<soldierRanks>

<!-- Soldiers increase their ranking when they have a certain number of rank points. A rank point is gained each time an AP, strength, accuracy, reflexes or bravery progress is done. -->

<Private rankPoints="0" />

<Corporal rankPoints="3" />

<Sergeant rankPoints="9" />

<Lieutenant rankPoints="16" />

<Captain rankPoints="30" />

<Major rankPoints="45" />

<Commander rankPoints="75" />

<Colonel rankPoints="100" />

</soldierRanks>

XNT

<soldierRanks>

<!-- Soldiers increase their ranking when they have a certain number of rank points. A rank point is gained each time an AP, strength, accuracy, reflexes or bravery progress is done. -->

<Private rankPoints="0" />

<Corporal rankPoints="3" />

<Sergeant rankPoints="10" />

<Lieutenant rankPoints="15" />

<Captain rankPoints="27" />

<Major rankPoints="40" />

<Commander rankPoints="60" />

<Colonel rankPoints="90" />

</soldierRanks>

of couuuuuuuurse i forgot this..damn i want to ask this all the day ,is posible to make the mouse wheel up and down get upper and under level instead of TAB and TAB+ShifT?..i found the hotkey mapping but had any clue of how do this,(sorry for being a pain in the ass,i think i spent all the day annoying xD)

Tnx for answering )

I'll better try a veteran difficulty becouse i thinks it's a fair choise.

Teon: air battles become a very handful operations. Some times i lost all of my F-17 to a just scout.

But i make a tricky desicion: two of my jets atack single target, one play role as a pray and second as a hunter.

UFO pursue the pray while the hunter pursue a UFO )

When i atack a bigger ufos with a apollo i need some more atacks (fire missles, retreat, reload, atack).

With SU a think i can do a much better performance but i wait for the "stable" releas :D

(with the correct weapons characteristics popups - i cant make a desicion what weapons is better becouse i play without a save/load crap).

When i atack a bigger ufos with a apollo i need some more atacks (fire missles, retreat, reload, atack).

With SU a think i can do a much better performance but i wait for the "stable" releas :D

(with the correct weapons characteristics popups - i cant make a desicion what weapons is better becouse i play without a save/load crap).

I recommend you to abuse afterburner, the fuel consumption is reduced allowing the player handle lot of situations, even evade beam projectiles when your at full speed. Thats go for the Apolo too, his speed durng afterburner is HUGE!

Su-T10 is a dog fighter with wonderful maneuverability, go to strategy tab in xenopedia, you will find a simple instruccion about the "Cobra Maneuver"

Thanks for posting!

Be careful, veteran can be changeling!

of couuuuuuuurse i forgot this..damn i want to ask this all the day ,is posible to make the mouse wheel up and down get upper and under level instead of TAB and TAB+ShifT?..i found the hotkey mapping but had any clue of how do this,(sorry for being a pain in the ass,i think i spent all the day annoying xD)

The hotkeys only control the keyboard... :/ and I hate the tab too...

Sorry dragon to write it again but you somehow mised my last question.

Meant to ask about something long time ago is it posible to add music from vanila game and change sound.gc so game will have for 6 songs for every part of the game not only 3.

Yes completly possible but increase the temporal memory usage of the game and its not recomended. ;P

Can u make it optional?

Its not recomended casue game will crash or slower PC will explode?

I just like all the sounds, vanila and mods ones, and dosen't want to shufle them all over agin manualy.

No it won't cause crash or *boom* if you are playing on low-end PC but it will run slower with significant FPS drops in certain areas.

As ironically as it sounds my oldest laptop runs game better and smoother with this mod than with vanilla.

Edited by Sentelin