Steam comments

Kind of sad/frustrating to see some of the comments on the Steam page. Admittingly, I am often a bit skeptical and cynical towards some of the games posted (although I never post negative comments). But, in this case, I've seen the 'behind the scenes', seeing the project being developed (through these forums here), seeing the dedication and obvious love for the project and openness to the community, so it was very frustrating seeing some of the negative (and sometimes moronic) responses... especially after Chris was so careful to get the build stable and worthy of a Steam Early Access release (to avoid such reactions). It seems that the generalization I've been reading about the Steam forums is pretty accurate.

Just kind of speaking my mind here, and wishing the project and the crew all the best.

I have had call to visit many a steam forum and so far the Xenonauts steam forum looks quite healthy compared to others I have witnessed. I would go so far as to say, the steam Xenonauts forum is very well behaved.

Actually I don't think the steam trolls and griefers know quite what to do with this game. :)

I've had Steam since 2006 and have never used the steam forums. Everyone knows serious people goto the game's official forums for help/advice/questions. Steam is a great place to keep your games all together, but reading their forums is like reading a bathroom wall - it's just a bunch of clowns killing a few minutes and trying to get a reaction.

It was just kind of interesting seeing comments from a different perspective (having previously known/followed the game, knowing its intentions and a general sense of the dedication/attitude of the devs, etc). When you get the context and backstory of the development and people behind it, and then see the negative comments/backlash, or whatever the case may be, you feel for the developer more (rather than just shrugging it off as the normal routine at the forums).

Just me being empathetic.... (or is it pathetic?) :D

I've used the steam forums a few times, but as its all kids and eejots ignore the comments .. they wouldn't know a great game if it turned into a grey, danced around naked for them, bought them a car a house, created them a girlfriend from nothing but dust then said "Hey .. this is great" .... This game will make it huge ... I've been watching it for a long time and anyone that's like me and was addicted to the original XCOM games will buy this .. its just one of those guaranteed things ....

Steam forums can be good is there area few common bugs but otherwise they are like anywhere else on the internet. Opinions are law and so many angery people.

Xenonauts has gone rather well seeing as it has an installed player base and many Xcom fans that were not 100% happy with the Firaxis one. Several of our members have even gone over to try to answer questions so not too bad.

If you want to see bad steam forums, look for the games with no player base to help counteract the raw hate.

Despite the drek being posted by some, it appears that Xenonauts is 30 on the 100 top sellers list (at least as of today), so it seems like people are looking for that old XCOM feeling again. Pretty good for an indie game.

Expedition: Conquistador, another game I bought over the weekend is 29; a good weekend for indies, I think.

Meh pay no attention to that barbaric excuse of a forum. They like to try and rattle your cage and say things like "you need to be on the steam forum" What kind of ini company can spare a unit to sit and watch over that rancid place. We have our own forum, if they want to say something they can come to us. I will do my best to keep a look out on the steam forum for you though guys. But my music is currantly taking over my life but I will do my best.

I've been using steam for over 5 years and i've been only a couple of times to the forums and those 2 times have been when i have a problem with a particular game and i look for a fix or workaround.

Oh, i think i've been there also once on the skyrim ones to check if there was a sticky for good mods aswell. Thats it.

Great platform, terrible community.

All I can say is that it would do little harm to get one or two trusted individuals to look over the Steam Forum for the time being. So long as they are told on what they can and cannot say and do, having a bit of interaction from the "developers" is always a good thing in many people eyes.

You can't appease everyone, and their will always be trolls and detractors no matter what you do.

As I mentioned before, I think that interview (where the original creator of X-Com shows he's not only aware of Xenonauts, but also in favour of it being made) is something that should be stickied in the forums (and maybe even somehow included in the game description if possible). Knowing the original creator is for the project does loads to change the image of the game from a 'sneaky ripoff' to an 'updated X-Com'. I think you'd change the minds of many of the (current) haters.