Steam Early Access

I bought this when it was the old website and there wasn't anything to play. I think it was 2009? It was right around the time pre-orders were even possible, before any of the trouble with PayPal or anything else. I have been waiting oh so long.

Same here. And although I changed my Premium to Standard Preorder at the transition phase, I think I will pass on getting parts of the money back, just seeing how my dreams are coming true here. And all of this though I didn't and don't have the time to partake in the development process.

Big cheers to the Dev-Team as well as the community!

Been checking back here periodically. Regarding Steam, its not the only way to get the game right? I am extremely leery of any of these trendy rent-a-game services. I don't want to have to have a steam account and be online to play this game. When I pay for a full version of this game, I would like to own it and not be held hostage by bnet-like rent-a-game services.

Been checking back here periodically. Regarding Steam, its not the only way to get the game right? I am extremely leery of any of these trendy rent-a-game services. I don't want to have to have a steam account and be online to play this game. When I pay for a full version of this game, I would like to own it and not be held hostage by bnet-like rent-a-game services.

Dude. Desura. And the standalone. And Steam is not "rent-a-game". And, more to the point, the only games that Steam forces you to be online to play are games that force you to be online to play. There are many games in my Steam library that I happily play offline because they're DRM-free. Steam is just a handy client for downloading and organizing my games. The added benefit is that a lot of games can have saves backed up to Steam's servers, so if your files get corrupted or go missing you can recover them. Finally, you only risk losing access to games on a Steam account if you breach their TOS and they catch you (which if you breach TOS will happen), but just playing games you have paid for (or are free) is no problem at all. I understand your hesitance, but next time make sure you actually understand what you're talking about.

Double-and especially: technically all game software is "rent-a-game" based on your description. You technically don't own anything, you just purchase a license to play the game. Breach of the terms of service of that license agreement (like any other license agreement concerning software) can lead companies to revoke your access to the game. Whether or not it's an "online" game and whether or not you have a "physical copy" of the software makes no difference: any piece of software you "purchase" is really just a license to use said software.

by rent-a-game, I meant that steam holds the right to remove your account and therefore can take away all games that you have paid for. It's not really yours until you can play it offline without worrying that their server will be up or down. I have heard of occasions where they have delete people's account and the account holder ended up losing all the games they paid for on steam. I have not played the beta or alpha of xenonauts yet. I don't know how desura is, but my question was about steam's version and whether or not they will be controlling all distribution of the game.

by rent-a-game, I meant that steam holds the right to remove your account and therefore can take away all games that you have paid for. It's not really yours until you can play it offline without worrying that their server will be up or down. I have heard of occasions where they have delete people's account and the account holder ended up losing all the games they paid for on steam. I have not played the beta or alpha of xenonauts yet. I don't know how desura is, but my question was about steam's version and whether or not they will be controlling all distribution of the game.

Steam only deletes accounts and removes access to games for people who have violated the terms of service, though. There isn't a guy who sits around and casually removes access to accounts on a whim; there's no dart-board or big wheel or anything, no mystery. Occasionally they make mistakes and those mistakes get corrected.

Moreover, if you read anything that I wrote, you'd know that Steam is not the arbiter of online only, and most games can be accessed and played offline. Some games can be accessed without even loading the Steam client, like X-COM. If a game is online-only, that is a decision made by the company that made the game, probably as a form of DRM. Valve dictating if games hosted on Steam are online-only would be exactly like a bank telling you where you're allowed to spend your money. I know I sound like a jerk, but I'm pretty tired of people misunderstanding things like DRM, because that's how things like SOPA and PIPA get drafted and part of how Bill C-11 got passed here in Canada. Educating ourselves is the only way to stop the people in the government who don't know anything from ruining the Internet (more than it has been ruined by certain "fringe" groups).

Yeah, that's my problem with the premium guys getting stuff that cost others a lot more money, it's kinda giving those guys a raw deal. I'm happy with whatever I get, if anything. I just wanted to pay the extra ten bucks to help with the project, I didn't really care about the extra stuff that came with it.

Incidentally, if people don't think they've got value from their extra $10 then I'm open to discussion on what we can do to improve things.

As many others have already stated, I'm just happy to see the game where it is at and that it is moving forward. Will be nice to have the faster d/l speed that Steam should deliver.