What will Increase Bravery and Resiliance?

HoboRed

I know that most of the stats like Strength and Time Units will increase naturally during missions. And I believe that Accuracy will increase when you get kills/use aimed shots. Reflexes are gained when you hit with a reflex shot.

What situations on the Battlescape will improve Bravery and Resiliance?

Failing a roll against bravery (whenever your soldier berserks, panics or is sucessfully targeted by alien psy) will count towards gaining bravery.

I assume taking a hit/damage would count towards increasing resiliance.

I'm not sure that reflex shot needs to hit to help with that?

The description and customization for the progress is in gameconfig.xml:

<soldierDevelopment>

<!-- Soldiers develop their attributes by using them. Each time the soldier performs a certain action, he will gain a "progress point" in that attribute. Once he reaches the "pointsToProgress" value, the attribute will increase by one point. These progress points are cumulative and are stored from mission to mission. -->

<APProgress pointsToProgress="300" maxPointsInSingleBattle="600" globalMaxProgress="120" comment="A progress point is earned every time a soldier spends an AP on a mission" />

<strengthProgress pointsToProgress="20" maxPointsInSingleBattle="40" globalMaxProgress="100" strengthCoeff="80" comment="Points are given when soldier moves of one tile while carrying a weight that is strengthCoeff percent greater than its maximum carry weight" />

<accuracyProgress pointsToProgress="5" maxPointsInSingleBattle="10" globalMaxProgress="100" comment="Points are given when a soldier attempts to fire at a valid hostile enemy within weapon range * 1.5" />

<reflexesProgress pointsToProgress="3" maxPointsInSingleBattle="6" globalMaxProgress="100" comment="A progress point is gained when a soldier performs a Reaction Fire test (it doesn't matter whether he passes or fails it)" />

<braveryProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="2" globalMaxProgress="100" comment="A progress point is earned whenever a soldier panics in battle" />

<resilienceProgress pointsToProgress="4" globalMaxProgress="100" comment="A progress points is earned every time the soldier gets a skillup in any other attribute" />

</soldierDevelopment>

So, as Gorlom said, the bravery progress is taken when a unit panics, while a resilence progress point is takent each time a soldier gets any other progress.

Since 4 points are required to have a skillup in resilence, you'll get a resilence progress each 4 other skillups.

Edited by Giovanni
Explaining the pointsToProgress parameter in <resilenceProgress>

<strengthProgress pointsToProgress="20" maxPointsInSingleBattle="40" globalMaxProgress="100" strengthCoeff="80" comment="Points are given when soldier moves of one tile while carrying a weight that is strengthCoeff percent greater than its maximum carry weight" />

Wait, does that mean that to increase strength, you have to load them more than 80%? Or more than 180%?

And what exactly IS the max carry weight? Is that when soldiers start taking AP penalties?

"Points are given when soldier moves one tile while carrying more than strengthCoeff percent of its maximum carry weight"

Just moved the word 'of' along a little, makes more sense to me that way.

Nice, I'll use this. Sounds much clearer than before, for sure!

So you only gain an accuracy progress point if you shoot beyond x1.5 the weapon range? I don't think that makes sense. First, it is counter-intuitive. You never would have guess this without reading the insides of the program.

Second, if you train yourself with a firearm, and you go to a shooting range for a challenge, do you practice by shooting way beyond the sensible range of the weapon, or rather you set your targets at the maximum range? I think the latter.

So you only gain an accuracy progress point if you shoot beyond x1.5 the weapon range? I don't think that makes sense. First, it is counter-intuitive. You never would have guess this without reading the insides of the program.

Second, if you train yourself with a firearm, and you go to a shooting range for a challenge, do you practice by shooting way beyond the sensible range of the weapon, or rather you set your targets at the maximum range? I think the latter.

<accuracyProgress pointsToProgress="5" maxPointsInSingleBattle="10" globalMaxProgress="100" comment="Points are given when a soldier attempts to fire at a valid hostile enemy within weapon range * 1.5" />

It says within the weapon range*1.5

I'm guessing that means if a weapons's range is 12 tiles you will gain accuracy if you shoot within 18 tiles of the target (12 x 1.5 = 18)

where does it say beyond? as Khall points out it says "within" in the description.