List of dead soldiers?

I know there probably isn't going to be memorial wall, but could credits list names of soldiers who died or something?

Why I'm asking for this? Well, honestly, I have hard time remembering name of soldiers who died in original XCOM games.(unless they are named by me or happened to get amusing names like Orski Donski(hes pretty good soldier which is something since I'm playing TFTD...)) It'd be rather emotional to see list of everyone and remember who they were.

Why, isn't that a new feature in XCOM: EU? Like multiplayer?? :)

(I'm only doing this to wind you up Xeno, keep fighting the good fight!)

Yeah, would be nice, what their rank was, what badges they had, when they died, and kill-counts achieved. Even mission type they died on.

Hey, i didn't get idea from EU, it was among kickstarter stretch goals that wasn't achieved :P

Anyway, I wasn't really interested in it until I played original game without save scumming and realized how easy it is to forget names of soldiers when they die like flies. Which probably won't be case in this game at least not on same scale it is on original game... But still.

Perhaps there could be a screen like the mission end screen, where all the soldiers are listed. In addition to the things gnarly said, there should also be the portrait of the soldier and the type of dead (shot by [alien type] with a plasma rifle, bleed to death after being hit by a Rocket from [soldier name], died from an infection caused by a not fumigated injection in a buggy medpack).

I suppose there could also be amount of aircraft shot down and vehicles completely destroyed :P

Or I guess ending credits themselves could be memorial in name of heroes (with something replacing it if you somehow play the game without anybody dying I guess) or something.*shrugs* Anyway, I would like there to be list of dead people somewhere.

Well ... too much information could be bad, thats right. Perhaps just the infos from the soldier screen with an added death date. But there should at least be the portrait and the rank of the soldier somewhere. I don't remember them, if I only see their names.

I don't really need anything else than names, but I suppose rank, mugshot and death date would be good.(if you want to add anything else, then kills, medals and amount of missions attended, but nothing else)

Would love that, too, but seeing as it was a stretch goal that wasn't met, I'm not too optimistic. I still think a memorial wall (or similar) wouldn't be too hard to code, but would add quite some atmosphere to the game, so maybe we'll get lucky and Chris will throw in two extra night shifts just to please his fans ;)

• 2 months later...
The new age of gaming; post your memorial wall entries on facebook?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/11/they-shall-not-grow-old-the-xcom-memorial/

I think my friends would be concerned to find their (named) corpses their RIP....

Particularly as the message is always "hated by their commander and led to their gory death."

But then death is nothing. Just look at this thread. Back from the dead. NECROTHREAD!

bleed to death after being hit by a Rocket from [soldier name], died from an infection caused by a not fumigated injection in a buggy medpack).
...orphans left behind... pets... favourite holiday destinations...
"hated by their commander and led to their gory death."

Someday i'm gonna fuse a Dwarf fortress and X-Com in a diabolical orgy of realism and FUN, and this will became true, all of this! Mwahahahaa!

khm.

Ok.

Someday.

Ohdeargodno!!!! ...unless I get to command all the whiny jackholes who keep complaining onto suicide missions and their gory, inevitable death...

Misanthrope pastry with the menacing headwear leading a group of crying sissies into the plasma storm from the UFO turret that survived crashlanding, and going out with not a green younglings but with a ̶d̶w̶ men. Well, at least with those who managed to stay alive and keep all their limbs needed to walk manly intact.

Why not?

due to automatic generation

This is completely confuse me(blow my mind). Automatic generation is on the contrary way to make it less repetive, it's way to make it less repetive then any other possible way.

I'm talking about the obvious here

If you deifine 100 names then without generation you got 100 names variations, and 10000 variations with this generation system(two component system), how it can be reason to be more repetive

If you have very small pool, without generation you will have even much less variations(sqrt) then with it. If you have big pool, well, you know.

If you pick names by the list then names become repeat in same order when list is over (and every time) and it will feel be much more repetive. If you pick them in random order then you know

Finaly, if you store list of existed soldiers for grave then you can compare on generation is this combinatoin already exist and make another roll, and generation win anything else, I'm already said why

Edited by zzz1010