Implenting a Pause button on the Geoscape

Having just played the demo I think this game has great potential to compete with X-COM. That said I find its real sad that there is no literal pause button on the geoscape, I mean you have four sets of speeds but no pause what gives? On the next build can you add a pause button to the geoscape, it allows players to set their strategy on the geoscape when building a second base without worrying about wasting time and allows you think of how to deal with UFO when they come in range. There is no reason not to implement a pause button.

While I see the point of the OP, and I have the urge to squeal when I see 3 UFOs appear seconds apart, that's usually because I'm playing at a higher speed. However, going to the 5 secs option or whatever the lowest value is, seems to be fine. I've certainly never noticed anything terrible happen in those seconds.

agreed, lowest speed does feel like super slow motion and nothing will ever happen.

the only need for a pause button I can think of is if you want to walk away from the game, but then you can always go into base mode.

However i don't think one would be hard to implement, i mean the game does pause anyway when a popup (like ufo spoted) comes up.

Yeah, I think the > setting is supposed to be so slow that the game might as well be paused. The need to pause completely is a bit of a panic response but I've felt it, in its paranoia the mind is unable to feel completely safe and ease the tension unless the game is brought to an absolute standstill during a critical moment.

It's more a matter of comfort and peace of mind.

Edited by Jean-Luc

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of things that could be put in that would not be difficult to do.

Without a reason to do it though it is unlikely to happen.

What is the advantage of having the pause over running at the slowest speed, bearing in mind there are other ways to stop the action if you need to leave the computer?

If the space bar drops the game to the slowest speed (don't know, never use it) then surely that is still useful?