Bleeding Wounds System

I'd rather have smaller icons that popped up next to each other and overlayed on top of the portrait when you call that up. Would probably need a bigger difference between the panic and mind-controlled icons though.

I could probably do without "out of ammo" and "have medikit" and only focus on the status change icons.

All of those buttons and icons look like they would be distracting and get in the way.

If you have someone with a medikit who is low on ammo and who has been suppressed and injured by an enemy he sees so his morale has dropped he would already have 6 icons above his quick select icon.

It seems a bit much to have all of that info displayed in a place where it creeps up over the play area.

Maybe if that icon was visible for a few seconds after the related condition was applied it would work.

Then you would need to hold down a key, say alt, to make them all visible again.

That would keep your screen clear of the clutter but have the information easily available when you need it.

The exception might be visible enemies, maybe that should give their button a different coloured border or something so you know who has a target.

That's how JA2 handles items on the floor. Hold a key (methinks it was Tab) and all are outlined and clearly visible. Excellent and simple system. Pwoerfull, but keeps the clutter to a minimum.

I don't mind the tags coming up, but as Gauddlike mentioned it could be a bit much. Maybe an intermediate step could be added. Essentially if a unit has a "tag" regarding something pertinent, there could be a small light popup over that persons info (something visible but about half the height of the current icons). Whenever the mouse is moved over it, it pull up onto the screen with the icons that are pertinent to that soldier between it and that persons info.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm a late comer to this thread. Have skimmed the thread, so bits and pieces already said...

Just from some limited observations in Terror Missions, it would be nice to see a few more 'dead' soldiers being critically unconscious, with some kind of time limit (e.g. 3 turns) in which to perform first aid, to solely stabilize them (still unconscious, but not dead). I'm pretty sure JA2 did something of this ilk: unconscious soldiers were therefore still viable targets to the enemy.

Why I like it:

- promotes more teamwork- keep you team as a team, for not only mutual fire support, but also recovery

- critically wounded by stabilized soldiers will obviously have lengthy recovery periods at base (week+?), but nevertheless not dead dead.

- seeing a row of soldiers behind a wall on terror mission all getting vaporised by plasma burst is a little annoying. Out of three soliders, I'd have an expectation one or two might end up either screaming on the ground like a stuck pig, or unconscious and bleeding out. Not all just dead. I want to bring in the rest of the team, provide supression/security, and get the medic to desperately stabilise the critical guy for later recovery. Or that may just be my ARMA teamwork instincts cutting in. Creates static Xenonaut defensive scenarios mid-mission..... Throw smoke, cover the critical and the medic, etc.....

Obviously some percentage chance of being critical as opposed to just dead.

And bring on a simple bleeding model! ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just like Buzzles, I would like to know if the alien will suffer from bleeding as well. If they can bleed, it might a good feature as it will promote more teamwork between aliens.

Alien 1: *get hit by Xenonauts* Ouch!!!

Alien 2: *out of sight* Buddy, get over here and I patch you up.

On aliens, bleeding and alien teamwork:-

The Sebillians regenerate. So any bleeding they do, may well be very short lived.

Then we have the Caesians who may bleed, but may not care about each other enough to be particularly affected by it. A telepathic hive mind for example? In other words, if they don't have a motive for doing anything following a wound, is it necessary to add? Can they heal each other at all (are there sprites for that)Does a bleeding wound affect their performance to a degree that it would be useful for the Xenonauts to know about it?

Being able to track them through terrain by their blood splotches would be good. :)

Seeing an alien try to drag it's bleeding comrade back to the UFO for treatment would be an interesting twist on the game. Would you still use that Flammerwerfer?

It has been mentioned that the Medikit will only heal someone up to a particular threshold. Is it known what that threshold is ? (apologies if I've skimmed past it above)

The robotic ones may leak lubricants, but I don't see that going in :)

"Then we have the Caesians who may bleed, but may not care about each other enough to be particularly affected by it. A telepathic hive mind for example? In other words, if they don't have a motive for doing anything following a wound, is it necessary to add?"

They don't particularly care about their comrades, but they should know that the longer they can delay their (and their comrades) inevitable death, the more damage they can deal. Remember, to Xenonauts, any hit is a certain death.

"Can they heal each other at all (are there sprites for that)?"

The developers don't have to create new sprites for aliens. Just modify their weapons so they will shoot healing beam instead of plasma (afterall, they are aliens with superior technology).

Just modify their weapons so they will shoot healing beam instead of plasma (afterall, they are aliens with superior technology).

sgt thothkins: these local civvies are getting out of hand. There's dozens of them.

col buzzles: someone should have a word with Chris. Who are they all?

Pvt Nhathuy: oh these aren't locals. These are cultists. They came when they heard about aliens with healing beams from the sky.

sgt thothkins: great. just great. right. Dietrich! break out the flamethrower!

Edited by thothkins