cardboardMike

Has the community dragged this back to being X1 with a new coat of paint?

1 hour ago, TrashMan said:

Nah, the annoying gameplay gimmick aside, the concept itself is what I hate.

The idea of data having a physical form, ignoring the laws of physics and being defeated with bullets is so utterly retarded it offends me on a deep level.

Very much this. The entire concept reeks of contrivances and nonsensical lore breaking just to replace a concept like alien commander interrogation (which can be done far better) with some more more mindless combat with an extremely annoying enemy. Seriously if the advent can do this, why do they even need to be a physical species at all? Why can’t they just transcend their physical forms and live out their days in gigantic matrioshka brains and live out their existence in perfect paradise to the heat death of the universe itself? Their design is also generic as hell, just another humanoid with a gun and some terrible techno textures pasted on. Even the Typhons from Prey were more visually unique.

1 hour ago, TrashMan said:

That would be an interesting mechanic.

The game has the alien mothership moving around the map, nuking big cities, with smaller UFO's hitting smaller settlements and doing terror attacks.

You would be in a race against time to find a way to stop the mothership while there's still something left to save (and before humanity surrenders, although technically, you could still keep the game going after that, since you refused to surrender)

That’s pretty much what I proposed on the secret war thread for the second phase of all out war for the game. At first, the aliens only try attacking in remote areas to test our defenses. Then they start building bases and assassinating key VIPs and supporting certain third world countries to increase the DEFCON level and hopefully induced a WW3 scenario where they rule over the survivors. When that got foiled by Xenonauts, they would declare all out war with the Xenonauts desperately leading the charge to find a way to destroy their mothership in orbit while protecting the last remnant of the new world government (which based on your choices can be the NATO, the Warsaw Pact or even a new UN puppeted by Xenonauts). This will lengthen the game considerably and make the end game much less boring.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Xeroxth said:

I think it would just be far better to just make a whole new enemy with tweaks to its AI, vision cone and weapon/skill load outs maybe different versions of already existing aliens. For instance an enemy that’s can fly like a Harridan but heavily armored and specialized on assault weapons like melee stun clubs, shotguns that can make fast attacks into the middle of your group of soldiers. Or an alien with a  beam weapon/heavy artillery that can kill you soldiers in groups but is extremely lightly armored and need a turn or two to lock on to target, basically our version of a Doom Archville. Hell just an enemy that have two stages with the first being ranged and the second being melee focused would change the game base considerably. Or even a healer/mechanic alien. Or a trapper alien. The variety of game mechanics for enemies are limitless.

The problem with that, of course, is that it takes time to implement! And the natives are starting to get restless for a release date. Perhaps it's the time for them to start thinking about putting in a bigger "bang for our buck" and this just strikes me as one simple way of doing so. Someone lamented the disappearance of the Foxhound earlier, and yes, I totally understand this generic new F-16 retro-fit type mechanic (i'm indifferent to it because, although it means less diversity, we all know that the F-16 can carry Heavy, as well as light missiles). But for me at least, the focus of the work should be on the ground combat since it is the core of the game and what we are all really playing it for. More variation and better AI. And if there's a simple way to get that then so much the better. That's not to say, of course, that the air combat bit should remain as flawed as it was in xen 1 (it gets a bit dull toward the end of the game). I think Chris is doing his best to address that though.

Edited by ooey

Folks, Comrade has a point about the direction this thread has taken. If you want to discuss new and exciting alien types for X2, it would be super cool if it had its own thread then everyone knows where to go to discuss cool new aliens. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Max_Caine.

To end this Discussion, yes the Game will be a Mix from working Elements from X1 and completely new Elements with many surprises for the Xenonauts 2-Baseversion. This have to be done to get not a to big Time-Difference to the originally Plan. With the Reworks of the Base and testing several Airfight-Systems the Devs lost about 5 Month Development and 3 more Beta-Versions with new Gameelements for an working Early Access.

In my Eyes (after I could test Phoenix Point and play XCOM EW / XCOM 2 Wotc) I can only say that Xenonatus 2 is the perfect implementation from both big Competitors. And that is only the Baseversion for Xenonauts 2. With planed DLC´s some of the makeshift things (like Base-Building) will then be overworked.

The only thing is, that UFO2Extraterestials comes in the next time, which will be the latest comparision, because XCOM 2 WotC gets slowly old for that.

Edited by Alienkiller

In line with the original thread, I'm also kinda disappointed to see the game become less Xenonauts 2 and more Xenonauts the Remake. I'm not going to refund, I backed because I wanted more XCOM games in the world, not because I was sold on shadow wars and vertical bases. I was however, excited to see them in action and while the art shown off recently has been less than stellar compared to what was in the kickstarter, I believe there will be improvements. Games that reuse assets in development typically do so on a temporary basis after all.

Right now, though, my biggest hope is that Xenonauts 2 will be like War of the Chosen. It didn't fundamentally change XCOM2, but it did add on enough bells and whistles to be an excellent addition.

Posted (edited)

I didn´t refound too, because I know that Changes in Alpha- and Beta-State are normal. But you are right, some Changes I don´t like too. My hope is that these Changes are only a makeshift to get the Main-Version of the Game running. That mean especally the Base Building-Screen. The orignal ATLAS-Base was great and most of the Testers loved her. Sadly she made Problems so that the Devs had to change to a makeshift similar to X1.

On the other Hand, Phoenix Point has an similar Base Building-Screen (it´s from the orignal Developer of the orignal X-Com). And I don´t think UFO2ET has an better System, which will come in September 2020. The only difference is that the Structures and the internals are better shown. 

Other Changes like a complete reworked Geoscape, the orbital Bombardement, Special Missions, Agents, Armor- and Weapon-Upgrades, Modulable Fighters and so on are great new stuff.

Edited by Alienkiller

Hello all,

I don't often write on the boards, but I stop by every now and again to check up on progress.  I played the original Xcom when it first came out, as i suspect many others have.  I played the other versions and incarnates as they showed up over the years.  The Firaxis Games versions being the least enjoyable.  The OP asked if it was just xenonauts 1 with a new paint job and I feel that  so far Goldhawk has done as much as they can to put forth new challenges and implement new capabilities.   There are things like the base structure and operations that are reminiscent of xcom 1, xenonauts 1 and so I voted for this style of base building over the a single ant hill style.. like what Firaxis implemented.  To me, letting a base assault mission though every now and again to test my troops and defensive capabilities is fun.  The first time the orbital Bombardement went off I was impressed and I was started of thinking of ways that Goldhawk was going to have me deal with this new challenge.  The new panic geoscape system is another new and exciting aspect of game play. The armor and weapon upgrades so far are i feel like great additions and step fowards in the realm.  I don't like to play too much of Beta's and Alphas other than to see how the path is looking at the moment. Right now I'm impressed and glad I was able to help back this game.  For me X2 isn't just a X1 with a new paint job it has more meat where it needs it with the same great flavor I've come to know and love.