Yep, I initially thought it should sap bravery, but in practice, is that actually the same as sapping APs?

APs are lost as soon as the unit is suppressed while bravery would take longer to go down. It would mostly be about making soldiers more susceptible to psi attacks. Soldiers actually panicking purely due to suppression would either be rookies or those under heavy concentrated fire.

Of course it could all be tied to bravery where going under a certain threshold incurs penalties like lost AP etc. In that case suppression could simply inflict a larger amount of "morale damage". Regeneration of bravery (per turn) would depend on the soldier's experience (as well as that any squad mates in vicinity), whether he's in cover or not, kneeling/standing, enemies present...

For example:

-75% bravery or below, accuracy penalty (jittery hands)

-50%, AP penalty (quite shaken but still capable of limited action, the suppressed state)

-25%, completely frozen if in cover, panicking if in the open or just random.

*All states last until bravery regenerates to the next higher tier.

The lower a guy's bravery is the more quickly he falls down the "fear spiral". Of course this also means that the higher one's bravery is the longer it would take to regenerate back to higher thresholds which could be a problem unless regeneration is percentage based.

Edited by Jean-Luc

That came from a thread a while back.

Few of us figured it made more sense to know how many you would have left rather than having to calculate it yourself each time.

Ah, I must have missed that thread as I would have posted rather strongly against that change. Mostly because it makes everything too precise and easy.

Possible to have it changed to a toggle option in the options menu (or in the launcher?)?

Ah, I must have missed that thread as I would have posted rather strongly against that change. Mostly because it makes everything too precise and easy.

Possible to have it changed to a toggle option in the options menu (or in the launcher?)?

I think if it's possible an option to toggle for "AP Spent" vs "AP Left" would be a great thing to add IF there is time. If not and the current system of AP left remains this needs to be very explicitly stated in a tooltip or some sort of brief optional tutorial accessible from the main menu. I know, I know it will be in the manual but really most don't read those these days (which I find to be sad... I miss my manuals!)

It is no more or less precise now.

The only difference is that you don't have to manually check your current troopers reserve level and total AP every time you want to move.

You now know if you will be able to kneel or turn after you make the move you already have set up ready to go, before you make that fateful second click.

*edit* Edited to make more sense. Possibly. Well to me anyway.

Edited by Gauddlike

<inner squeal of delight>

That made me chuckle. Thanks.

Bah! I'll not be able to play until tomorrow evening....so obviously Desura works like a charm. When I had 2 free days....mutter mumble.

Interesting about the smaller maps. When I first saw screenshots for the game, the size of the maps struck me as being too large. Having played it, and knowing that there will be more going on, they aren't so bad. It's more points for the developers to think of scaling them though.

I am going to miss my machine guns not giving me get out of Zeta Reticuli cards all the time.

I'm also goign to miss my guys stuck like deer in headlights after I've run out of APs to make them kneel or hide. An X-Com tradition that was :-)

Glad you guys like it. More updates should be following shortly. I may also temporarily disable civilians on a global scale if that largely fixes the AI bug as I imagine lots of non-forum users will be playing the game and thinking "WTF".

Chris, it's plain to see that you've tweaked the accuracy formulas, as my rookies are spraying shots all over the place now! :)

Just a quick question though; is the system currently calculating cover properly? I've had some fairly inconsistent values coming up when I've placed my cursor over an enemy. For example, aiming at an alien from about a cabbage patch and a half away (the best measure of distance I can think of!) the accuracy of my soldiers shot didn't seem to alter regardless of whether I was about to take the shot from an angle where there was a fence in the line of fire, or whether I moved so there was a clear line of fire.

That also made me wonder; to benefit from cover do you (or the alien) have to be right next to the object, or will the accuracy be affected simply from objects being in the line of fire? Ideally, I'd have thought you'd gain maximum protection from being hunkered down next to a wall, but the wall just being in the line of fire would make the shot somewhat more difficult, but can the engine calculate this?

see, even the fraxis guys knew that in order to have the xcom feel, you need dday style moments. makes it hard to keep hope that the game will be good, though i think it will be another lords of the realm 3 (a game promising a reenvisioning of a great series, only to be a craptactular game with lots of stuff that fans of the series pointed out as probably not going to work well ahead of release). if only there was a 'xeno of the realm' for that series, maybe it would be alive today.

Just a quick question for everybody who's got a few ground combats under their belts; have your troops ever performed a reaction fire shot yet? I've had the alpha since January and no matter how many APs I leave my guys with they never react to alien movement at all. Is reaction fire for player controlled units in the game yet?