Xenonauts Kickstarter and Public Build

I could be wrong but I think the 50$ range is where the game often makes a transition from purely digital to a boxed version which puts it over the edge as many people still like to collect boxed games. It also often contains other collectors' items like paper manuals or cloth maps.

Wouldn't that just be for non US citizens Jean-Luc? It would generate more projects, more traffic and more income for them would it not?

Legal issues possibly... But what kind? It's just to circumvent one of Amazons policies... one that is already being circumvented by some people/projects. I can't imagine it to be classed as fraud.. could it? Kickstarter is laready going to be takeing part of the money so setting up the bankaccount couldnt be that big of an issue...

And I'm rambeling! good night folks!

Wouldn't that just be for non US citizens Jean-Luc? It would generate more projects, more traffic and more income for them would it not?

Doesn't help if you don't have the manpower to handle all the requests/accounts. And suddenly you're the one responsible for all that money instead of Amazon (or whoever). Best to just lay back, focus on maintaining the site and let the $$$ seep in on its own.

Legal issues possibly... But what kind? It's just to circumvent one of Amazons policies... one that is already being circumvented by some people/projects. I can't imagine it to be classed as fraud.. could it? Kickstarter is laready going to be takeing part of the money so setting up the bankaccount couldnt be that big of an issue...

I dunno but things always get touchy when someone is handling someone else's money. KS takes a percentage but the money doesn't actually go through them originally, they're not the ones responsible for it (afaik).

In the end I don't really know but I imagine there's some reason for the restriction. It's not due to randomness or ignorance of the obvious.

i dont get it ... the kickstarter terms and conditions doesnt say anything about nationalities........at least not in the main Q&A etc pages.....and payment types....you can just buy a credit card terminal...... maybe i am all wrong....but it doesnt make sense.....

Cyllan I already linked you to where it says you must have a US social security number. Go read the Kickstarters FAQ again. Bottom question in the middle row is the one you want.

It's because of their third party affiliate Amazon's policies. Amazon are the ones handeling the payment and they require you to be a US citizen and have a US bank account to be eligeble to use the kickstarter services.

Edited by Gorlom

FWIW, Amazon Payments just asked me for my US taxpayer info (social security #) when I logged on, supposedly to "comply with U.S. regulations". If I had to guess, it's probably so the IRS can make sure that payments being made via Amazon Payments can be tracked and taxed - maybe some sort of thought that it's income derived from sales in the U.S. and thus should be subject to U.S. sales tax.

Chris, for my post above, it's actually really easy to create a company in the U.S. (I'm a corporate attorney and do it all the time for clients for a couple hundred bucks and do it the same day). All I was thinking was that maybe the account could be set up by a U.S. citizen in the company's name (Kickstarter seems to permit company accounts) but then, at the bank level and so apart from Kickstarter, you'd set up the account so that any withdrawals/transfers required two people in order to be authorized so that you, Goldhawk, would have control over the cash flowing out of the account. Would be a simple matter to set up a company and related bank accounts with specific Goldhawk signatories, I'd think. I'll let this drop but it does seem possible (and if you're at all interested in discussing more, let me know - I do similar stuff like this for work all the time).

As for other reward levels - one thing I've seen (FTL did it, for example) is to let people get their names in the game solider database, so you'd pay, say $50 or $100 and there would be a generic soldier named "Joe Smith" after you. People seem to like that sort of in-game stuff - Wasteland 2 has all sorts of levels for some minor presence in the game - and it wouldn't require the overhead of producing maps or models of the aliens, etc. Just a thought - obviously you want to retain the flavor of the game. Stuff like soundtracks, art books, etc. seems to interest people, too, as do signed copies, posters, etc.

-Kilrathi

Why can't you just do different levels pricing on your own website and promo the hell out of that? Lets be honest if it isn't kickstarter then you may as well do it yourself. People don't know what indiegogo is and tbh it's a little off-putting seeing all the random projects on there, made me wonder if I was on the right site. At the end of the day all people are going to see is a link on a page to click on, it can go anywhere.

Kilrathi, I've sent you a PM. Maybe a controlled company would help mitigate the risk associated with using a random internet person :)

Re: higher paying people getting soldiers named after them, yeah, we've got something like that in the works. I've yet to finalise the list as I'm working on the build, but I think people would like that.

Remember, though, that Xenonauts is quite mod-friendly, so anyone who wanted his name input into the soldier database is free to do so at no additional cost. That might cheapen such a reward in the eyes of the pledgers - same as with other "get put into the game"-rewards that you could probably do by yourself.

Remember, though, that Xenonauts is quite mod-friendly, so anyone who wanted his name input into the soldier database is free to do so at no additional cost. That might cheapen such a reward in the eyes of the pledgers - same as with other "get put into the game"-rewards that you could probably do by yourself.

I'm "worried" about the same thing =P

same as with other "get put into the game"-rewards that you could probably do by yourself.

For yourself you can just rename soldiers in game. Developer's "reward" made this for all, for those who interested in this sort of reward this make big difference

If you understand what i mean.

My suggestion a while back along these lines was to allow the original troopers to have set names rather than random ones.

Then you could have the 10 people who were prepared to pay for it as the starting troopers.

Of course anyone can change those names or put their own in at any time but those 10 people would ALWAYS be the first names used.

Probably randomise the order though so the same ones weren't left off the Chinook every time :P

The xenopedia entries could have names in them as well.

Instead of saying "Scientists recommend we find a UFO power source, they may be able to figure out how it works" you could have "Bill Bloggs over at R&D would like one of those UFO power sources to play with, he thinks he can figure out how it works".

Or "John Smith has come up with a design for a craft he calls the Avenger" etc.

The rewards are minimal if you don't mind paying a few pounds to have your name in the game.

I imagine if you were paying a lot of money though you might expect something bigger.

Sure you could mod it in yourself, but that only adds it to YOUR game, the reward would be added to ALL copies of the games meaning you knew your soldier was out there for everyone that played the game while modding it in yourself you would only see it in your game.

You mean kinda like Goldhawk which also isn't famous and therefore...? Maybe we should just let Firaxis handle this, eh?

All I am pointing out is human nature. Nothing you or I believe will sway public perception. Kickstarter is the most famous and most successful. Most people are sheep who stick to brands they know.

I think that the public's perception might be, if you don't use Kickstarter, is that the game is of lesser quality or that the dev's couldn't get their act together.

All of us here are fans of Chris, his team, and this game. Now you have to convince the masses who aren't absolutely obsessed with X-com (and who may already be planning to buy the Firaxis version).

Edited by Slippery Jim