has anyone thought of licensing part of the shares of this project to some indie publisher who can help with marketing/ money/developing ? to speed things up?....... just a thought...........

doesnt valve/steam get behind indie projects sometimes........?

can you imagine a "xenonauts" released by valve and developed by goldhawk......., you could buy your own money printing press....

just a question but what is the total budget as it is planned for the game ?

we have had "silly"(and i mean easier to make) games like hacker, frozen psynapse, zombies versus plants, uplink, etc sell by the millions.......i dont know how they did it to be honest........but they were all low budget indie.

regards

Edited by cyllan

has anyone thought of licensing part of the shares of this project to some indie publisher who can help with marketing/ money/developing ? to speed things up?....... just a thought...........

doesnt valve/steam get behind indie projects sometimes........?

can you imagine a "xenonauts" released by valve and developed by goldhawk......., you could buy your own money printing press....

just a question but what is the total budget as it is planned for the game ?

we have had "silly"(and i mean easier to make) games like hacker, frozen psynapse, zombies versus plants, uplink, etc sell by the millions.......i dont know how they did it to be honest........but they were all low budget indie.

regards

Cyllan the problems with a big publisher is that they are going to have their own input and as well going to want to reach as wide a market as possible. Thats why Firaxis has a max swaudsize of 6. To make it more acccessible to everyone, not just the fans of the genre.

The budget increases for each person that preorders and later it will increase with the donations from the funding thermometer. There is no set budget.

Cyllan the problems with a big publisher is that they are going to have their own input and as well going to want to reach as wide a market as possible. Thats why Firaxis has a max swaudsize of 6. To make it more acccessible to everyone, not just the fans of the genre.

The budget increases for each person that preorders and later it will increase with the donations from the funding thermometer. There is no set budget.

the game is half done all the main structures of the game plan are there, as this late stage they could not be making big changes , but they could help with speeding it up and marketing and maybe helping with a couple of people programming.... the money needed woulndt be too much and it could help the game sell millions

there is always a budget for every project, if some of the people involved have mortgaged the house to get money is clear the supply is not infinite.

the funding thermometer......... without money for promotion and marketing and the new firaxis game comming.....that is going to dry pretty soon, there was a 6 pages and a cover spread in PC gamer just this month about the firaxis game....... plus developers diaries etc in their shiny website...... dont understimate the power of propaganda

Firstly I wouldn't call that propaganda, I'd call it marketing or PR. secondly any marketing Firaxis does indirectly works in favour of Xenonauts as well. It's not really one or the other, and people most commonly hear about Xenonauts through the Firaxis game anyway.

I don't see why a person or company would want to invest in a game thats almost finished, especially one that caters to a specific and limited demographics, without the ability to influence the end product. There might be some interest in the end, but I think the investor would end up wanting to take too big part of the profit to really be an appealing deal for Chris.

Edited by Gorlom

I'm not particularly interested in a publisher. We're past the stage of needing it. The hassle of setting up a deal and the potential risks involved vastly outweigh the gains. The system we have right now works and there's a lot to be said for not fixing what isn't broken.

Also, the biggest issue is that publishers always work from the basis that your game will be a failure without their involvement and therefore want a correspondingly large slice of the revenue. I see no reason why we can't be as big as Frozen Synapse or Amnesia when we release the game, and therefore giving up a substantial percentage of the revenue with no guarantee of gains doesn't make sense for me.

Yeah, I'm curious as to if you knew when the next build/patch will be out. I can't get past my second saved ground battle without

it freezing up at the alien ship. They of course are going to react. Is anyone else playing v9? I mean I'd have

to start a new game every time and never get anywhere with bases and research.

ive played 7 v9 new games up to mid august and cant get my research or manufacture to give me new options.

manufacture - 0 options

research is fine up to where i should get laser weapons and wolf armor but i get no options for either.

im with you Windex, come on patch! :D

i would have opened a thread for v9 but i noticed my problem was already in master bug thread.

Edited by NoIdidnt

Hello, I use google translate services, so much do not make noise about the translation. My question is, when the expected localization of the Russian language? Can I help what can I do?

If you are using google translate that migh not be such a good idea? =S

either way Russian translation has already been brought up once. Let me dig up the thread. You can go there and see what you can do.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php?1034-Russian-translation

I have a couple of ideas for improving the game, in which branch it is better to write that they are not ignored?

У меня есть пара идей для улучшения игры, в какой ветке их лучше написать, чтобы их не игнорировали ?

The suggestions forum. Chris reads the whole forum. As far as i know he doesnt ignore any part of it but he might not incorporate your suggestion or have time to answer it. But I'm sure he reads it none the less.

Do a quick search on your ideas first. It's likely it has already been suggested.

Firstly I wouldn't call that propaganda, I'd call it marketing or PR. secondly any marketing Firaxis does indirectly works in favour of Xenonauts as well. It's not really one or the other, and people most commonly hear about Xenonauts through the Firaxis game anyway.

i dont think so, people buy based on PR and marketing, i doubt if firaxis game comes sooner and it is half decent is going to do much for xenonauts sales ....... your claim than a firaxis forum will increase xenonatus sales is seriously flawed, nobody looks at a BMW website to buy a mercedes, neither does the colgate website does any good to the competition toothpaste websites...... people are not going to spent twice the money for 2 similar games released at a similar time, specially one that will work on consoles too (big advantage).

pc gaming is shrinking compared to console gaming, bugs , incompatibility problems, rigs price, piracy ..... etc , and the end of the day and i dont know exactly why ......games on the new consoles look a lot better in general than pc games

also you forget one thing, xcom players are now mature married people, they are not youngsters anymore, indie pc games mostly fail because people want big AAA budgets, the ones that make good money on modest budgests get the gameplay very well tuned for peanuts.......they are the exception to the rule.

i am not going to say xenonauts is going wrong, but the marketing is not there and the new xcom is invading the media.......

the only reason i know about xenonauts is a tiny preview 8 months ago in PC gamer uk , if i wasnt a subscriber and i had not bought it i would be looking exclusivibly to the firaxis game......

Edited by cyllan

i dont think so, people buy based on PR and marketing, i doubt if firaxis game comes sooner and it is half decent is going to do much for xenonauts sales ....... your claim than a firaxis forum will increase xenonatus sales is seriously flawed, nobody looks at a BMW website to buy a mercedes, neither does the colgate website does any good to the competition toothpaste websites...... people are not going to spent twice the money for 2 similar games released at a similar time, specially one that will work on consoles too (big advantage).
I never said Xenonauts would get the same effect out of it as the XCOM game. But peole still hear about Xenonauts after hearing about XCOM and beeing reminded of the old game and looking around for what else is out there.

This site did see an increase in traffic after the Friaxis announcement and a lot of people have commented on finding it through hearing about Firaxis game. Theese are facts that lead to the logical conclusion that Xenonauts are indirectly affected by any marketing Firaxis does. I might be wrong but from what I see its unlikely.

Your analogy is flawed. You have deliberately chosen products that exclude others of a similar nature. Once again many people have commented that they will buy the XCOM game as well while showing a preorder badge, showing their intent to buy both. For your analogy to be accurate you would have to go more along the line of buying books, dvds and soft drinks then cars and toothpaste.

pc gaming is shrinking compared to console gaming, bugs , incompatibility problems, rigs price, piracy ..... etc , and the end of the day and i dont know exactly why ......games on the new consoles look a lot better in general than pc games
You are entitled to your opinion. I don't see how this is relevant though? This game isn't targeting the console demographic so there's no way to reel them in anyway?
also you forget one thing, xcom players are now mature married people, they are not youngsters anymore, indie pc games mostly fail because people want big AAA budgets, the ones that make good money on modest budgests get the gameplay very well tuned for peanuts.......they are the exception to the rule.

i am not going to say xenonauts is going wrong, but the marketing is not there and the new xcom is invading the media.......

the only reason i know about xenonauts is a tiny preview 8 months ago in PC gamer uk , if i wasnt a subscriber and i had not bought it i would be looking exclusivibly to the firaxis game......

True Xenonauts needs to do its own marketing as well. I wouldn't think that Firaxis marketing is only negative for Xenonauts though.

I loved the original x-com series and ive played all newer remakes/rethinks since. There is no reason for me to change now, no matter what they spend on advertising i will buy and try any and all x-com related games that look even remotely decent.

Rite now i have bought Xenonauts and am watching two more - ufo extraterrestrials shadows over earth - xcom -

I believe most true x-comers in the long haul will end up doing the same.:)

Most of the time its several years between this type of game releases and i usually only play each one for mabye 2 months before im ready to try the next one, play it for couple of months then mite go back to the first one and install latest mods and replay it.

its not like the market is so overloaded with these games i dont have the time to try them all.

for me its more like puting my money into a game type than an individual game.:cool:

P.S.- xenonauts has my backing 100% as do the others.:)

Edited by NoIdidnt

Cyllan, our biggest day of sales this year was when Firaxis announced their game, so their game generates plenty of interest in ours too.

We're not doing much marketing right now intentionally, because the game's not playable enough to send out preview builds so there's only so much we can do. It is partially due to lack of time, but it's not the only reason. Having a publisher interfering in things probably wouldn't help the situation either.

I can only imagine the pressure Chris would be under right now if he had a big publisher breathing down his neck to push for early release.

That would not be conducive to a good end product.

I personally don't care if Xenonauts comes out before, after, or even at the same time as the current crop of rebreaks.

This is the game I am following and those are just bonuses for me to try when they hit budget prices.