Ground Combat Balance - V21 Stable Candidate

Lots of changes here for you. Some key bugfixes in this patch, plus a slight rebalance of TU costs that means units can now only fire three snap shots a turn rather than four. MGs now have recoil, making them less effective killers until you get very strong soldiers / Predator battlesuits and, but can burst fire again and have an extra burst in their ammo box.

Additions / Balance-Affecting Bugfixes:

- Added "ground" images for all weapons and equipment in the game

- Aliens now have +25% accuracy on Insane, - 10% ACC on Normal and -25% ACC on Easy difficulty levels

- Added hovering animations for the Harridans

- Gave singularity cannon a better looking animation, projectile and blast

- Updated general unit shadows to be a little softer

- Fixed medical kits behaving strangely in diagonal healing- Grenade selector menu now shows correct grenade throw cost

- Shotguns now cause suppression

- Now in missions with the Valkyrie dropship the player gets the first turn the deployment phase

- Vehicles no longer gain TU when firing their weapons

- Flashbangs cause suppression again

- Aliens now use TU when moving if Xenonauts not in sight

Balance Changes:

- Predators now have 0.65x TU fire costs (MG burst costs 52% TU)

- Vehicle weapon fire costs doubled to account for % TU costs rather than static ones

- Snap shot costs for most weapons increased from 25% TU to 28% TU

- Made morale events less likely to occur and reduced the morale damage from some events (civilian death, wounded penalty)

- Reaction fire bonus of pistols and shotguns (humans and alien) reduced from 2x to 1.5x

- Nerfed the Reflexes scaling of Androns a bit.

- MG and MG derivatives now have 30 round capacity, but 75 recoil

- MGs and MG derivatives now have 0.5x Reaction Fire modifier

- Updated Singularity Cannon stats to be ludicrously powerful

- Disabled reaction fire on rocket launcher/singularity cannon

Thank you chris. I'm glad the MGs have at least 30 rounds. It's not 50 but it's good enough.

Glad you took away reaction fire on rocket launchers too. This looks like a good patch all around.

Don't like the the .5x reaction modifier to MGs but you can't win 'em all I guess.

Aliens getting morale in the near future, and ballistic ammo capacity not nerfed to crap, things are definitely looking up!

Edited by legit1337

Having read a post by Skitso getting frustrated over "psychic" aliens which can guess where his troops are, can FOV be reset at the end of the players/AI turn, rather than at the startof the next one? This stops either side from gaming FOV. Naturally I'd prefer real-time FOV, but that's too much to ask for this late in development.

I'm going to use real-time FOV as a springboard for a question about game mechanics: do aliens have the same real-time FOV mechanics as player units at night time?

Right now with human units, moving out of the 18 vision range means you lose sight of the alien if there's low light, if no-one else can see the alien directly. While you can indirectly fire at the square the alien's on, there's a hefty aim penalty attached. Do aliens follow the same rules, or are they effectively playing in daytime?

For anyone who doesn't know, you can mod in the night LOS rules for daytime GC by editing config.xml: look for <LOSNightMultiplier>0.6</LOSNightMultiplier> and change that value to 1, and change <NightMission>0</NightMission> to a 1 as well.

The FOV stuff should be discussed once V21 Stable is out, it's not something we're going to make changes to before then because it'll likely cause all kinds of trouble. Happy to look at it tho.

Skitso - this is a bit "damned if we do, damned if we don't". It makes sense for the aliens to check if there are units sneaking up on them, right? It's smart play. Spending a few TU looking behind them isn't really a hack.

Yeah, Chris, but I feel the AI should maybe be a bit more human (alien?) and not always strive for the perfect and most optimal moves but rather be suitably challenging and at the same time provide as fun gameplay experience as possible. And for me atleast, sneaking and surprising aliens is fun! :)

Oh, and talking about haxorz, what about the automatically facing the closest threat - even if not visible and known?

Edited by Skitso

Yeah, Chris, but I feel the AI should maybe be a bit more human (alien?) and not always strive for the perfect and most optimal moves but rather be suitably challenging and at the same time provide as fun gameplay experience as possible. And for me atleast, sneaking and surprising aliens is fun! :)

Oh, and talking about haxorz, what about the automatically facing the closest threat - even if not visible and known?

It is relatively "easy" to program an AI to make the most efficient moves possible. It is MUCH harder to make them do inefficient things. Mistakes and tactical blunders on the small scale have to be programmed into them. Although sometimes the most efficient moves on the small scale leads to mistakes and tactical blunders on the large scale.

The different AI types could also have different chances to check.

Aggressive types are concentrating on what's in front of them so don't look back much, defensive types check more often and passive ones do... well whatever it is passive ones do.

Maybe even the angle they check could be random?

Sometimes they will just glance right a little (45 degrees right), sometimes they will have a good look over their left shoulder (90 degrees left), another time they might turn all the way round to have a good look behind.

It is just the feeling of relief when the enemy looks round but doesn't *quite* turn far enough to see you.

This could also be linked to AI type.

Aggressive will scan the ground in front more, defensive will watch their flanks more, passive will be paranoid and look behind them more.

Oh, I know. I'm just pointing out that people are also quick to damn a game if the AI isn't clever enough or doesn't do the "right" thing / punish player's mistakes.

AI needs to of course punish players mistakes but should also reward good plays. (E.g. flanking)

I always check behind, end turn with one guy facing back in the team etc. If the AI actually spends TUs for it, I think its fair game. But that them "psychically knowing who's on the other side of the wall" as was pointed out in another thread wouldn't be. They could move and check around the corner though, not to mention opening the door of the ufo to see if there are xenonauts lining up just outside as well. They could even "hide" around a corner as opposed to crouch behind a cover in LOS of Xenos, but perhaps this might be too much of a burden to implement.

AI needs to of course punish players mistakes but should also reward good plays. (E.g. flanking)

The reward for flanking is getting shots around the cover. I think it's actually good that the aliens are displaying basic situational awareness and checking around themselves for enemies, although I agree with an earlier commenter that it could be related to the AI role, with aggressive aliens being very focussed on the direction they are moving in, while defensive and passive aliens look around to make sure their position is safe.