Introduction thread!

Chris

Just found this thread, few days after registering :)

Anyways, hello everyone!

I`m a 30 now, juggling between life and computer. Needless to say i am also a big fun of X-Com (I even liked the Firaxis "failed" UFO`s :) ). Same goes for Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm and some other Russian tactical games :)

I found this game via Google after searching for remakes of first 2 UFO games (yeah, i`m one of those dissapointed by the new XCOM as well).

I am really grateful that i found Xenonauts. The name does not sound similar to the original but the familiar feeling while playing IS THERE :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Short intro here. 35+ :D gamer who played Laser Squad in MSX, then the first XCOM in the PC.

I discovered this game when it was mentioned in the XCOM:EU Firaxis forums. I did not by that game, and xenonauts was preordered instead. :) Hope to see a great game here.

Hello internets people!

I'm Kyle and I'm from Canada, Eh? but enough aboot me...

I recently purchased the first three original X-COM games (Yes, even Apocalypse, I liked that game...) through Steam and I am extremely excited for this game, it's not even in beta and it's still better than any other X-COM reboot to date!

That's something to be proud of, so congratulations Chris and the rest of the Goldhawk team!

Greetings Xenonauts! I am Onyxalchemyst, or just Onyx for simplicity. I'm 19 and hail from the United States, just a ways outside of Washington D.C., so I get to listen to a lot of political hoohah, but that's not important.

I only recently came into the world of Xcom, having been given a copy of UFO Defense nestled in DOSBOX by a friend about two years ago. However, I quickly fell in love with the original, and have played it through to a usual bitter conclusion many times. I can't consider myself to be a "hardcore" fan of the series, as I have rarely ventured beyond easy, and never above normal, not to mention a savescumming habit that's been hard to break, but much time has been poured into that game, and as much blood, tears, and honest fun returned from it. That game had a level of interactivity and immersion that has never been matched to me, not before, not since. I also got my hands on Enemy Unknown through a pre-order, hoping that it would give me a similar fulfillment to the original, but do even more. Although it was enjoyable, it's more linear and limited nature left me disappointed. It wasn't what I had wanted.

Then I heard of Xenonauts. I took a look at it and regained my hope. THIS was more of what I was hoping for; A true expansion of the mechanics of UFO Defense, without extra fuddery or reimagination. I played the Demo, liked what I saw, so I have now just prepurchased it, and am currently waiting for it to install. The install time has been ridiculous, giving me enough time to play some other games, write this entire introductory post, and still have time to sit around and be bored, but I suppose that's to be expected for a game still in development; Content first, efficiency later.

Aside from Xcom, I play a little bit of everything when it comes to games, without a set genre as a favorite. I've been on a horror stint recently though.

I am also fond of Touhou, although more for the characters and art than the games or music. For anyone who likes it too, my favorite character is Fujiwara no Mokou.

But enough talk, the installation is finally finished. Time for me to give this a go!

Heya, I'm a new face here. My name's Teemu and I'm here, hoping to blend in to the already great looking community. :)

I'm fairly new to XCOM-like games, but they really caught my attention. I enjoyed XCOM: Enemy Unknown to some extent, but I could easily see where the complaints were coming from. I believe Xenonauts very well might be the perfect game for me in the future.

Cheers for the future of the community, and the game!

Hi there, finally got my lazy ass to purchase the game and register at the forums after 2 months having decided to buy the game.

Im a 33 years old father of one ,veteran gamer who started with the old good Amstrad 64K and Spectrum. I may belong to the group of weird people who like TFTD more than EU as it was my first xcom game and I do like the ship terror missions and big colony maps.

Yes, I know im cruel with myself :P

Many times I seeked a proper xcom remake and found nothing worth it, maybe Aftershock and Afterlight, untill I found Xenonauts.

Been following the dev for some months and got the feeling this truly has a real xcom feeling and charm. Im glad to join and support this game.

Also a word of admiration for Chris, his passion and determination to bring what many failed to give is something to admire!

Hey all. Haven't bought yet, just checking out previews. I'm a Mac user, don't hate. David Blake was my all-star from X-Com: UFO Defense; lost him two turns before completing the final mission ... My youngest brother cried. New X-Com looks weak, so I'm hoping this will be the thing. So many good/bad suggestions on this forum, I'm also hoping y'all can cut through and just make it great.

... so I'm hoping this will be the thing. So many good/bad suggestions on this forum, I'm also hoping y'all can cut through and just make it great.

Welcome David! I think we're all hoping this will be the thing here. Looking forward to you sharing which ones you think are the good and the bad suggestions. We're not terribly shy here, so feel free to fire away.

So I am wandering here b/c I am (hopefully) getting this for Christmas (from work actually, haha). So hopefully I'll be a familiar face around here soon.

Love tactical games. NEED to play the original still. Have it in steam and just keep failing to get around to it. Wonder if I can make it work on Linux? (I game on my linux netbook most often due to logistics. Weird I know).

Salutations, new user here.

Fan of X-com serie, has played a lot of the games, and although I initially was excited about Enemy Unknown, I felt that it was far too simplified when I learnt about it (random events instead of the aliens actually building bases and spreading, no inventory management, random specializations instead of levelling-up abilities via use, squad sizes reduced too much) and I was also disappointed that it was linked to Steam no matter what and that you could never truly actually own the game (I hate being at the mercy of a server that can cut support whenever it wants, making my purchase pointless).

So I'm intrigued by the idea of a remake that expand on the original's concept instead of cutting content.

I'm also a writer, like to draw, and have involved myself into game development (both indie and pro) in the past. I'm hoping that I will be able to interact with people in this forum and bring interesting contributions (instead of just registering and lurking).

See you around everyone!

Edited by Mew

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Singapore! I'm a long time fan of TFTD, my first X-Com game, fell asleep on the keyboard playing this game, back in 95/96, after a long night at work. hahahha

All other X-Com games didn't come close to TFTD. I just bought a premium alpha, downloading now.

cheers.

Yep, new here.

Not sure how that pre-order status on forum is checked since link on xenonauts pointed to desura... which is different from here. in any case it doesn't matter much since.. well.. i'm pretty sure it will all sort itself out before game launches. (and i can download it from desura now)

Brief history... First impression of Xcom i got was from TFTD.. long long ago. I played it quite a lot. then later I tested orginal XCom, pretty much same but with few slight errors present.

years went by... and i got Xcom Apocalypse. (seems quite few see it either as good or bad thing) which i also liked.

good points on it were more levels in maps. (yum)

RTS side (with pause to give commands easier, turn based didn't feel fun)

city map (lot of idle action going on)

some tech progress in first month or two (new items in market, like marsec flight armor.. my favourite, call me cheesy :P) despite own research progress.

and.. yep, due to more factions, things felt better.

then.. okay.. i had heard of Xenonauts before this Xcom:EU flop that is the new xcom.

i say flop because... yeah, i count it as one.

maps? WAY WAY too small.

amount of troops/aliens meh... i like it bigger.

explosion size of grenades? what are they? kids fire crackers?

line of fire. cover? there is no cover there!! (and other way around)

inability to destroy surroundings on purpose with anything besides grenade/rocket.

missed shots miss, they absolutely cannot hit any other target (well, they can destroy enviroment if they miss aliens)

only one skyranger

only one interceptor at one ufo at once. (even TFTD allowed you to send more than one at one UFO and FIGHT it at same time.)

only one base.

alien "difficulty" progression stops if you do not research certain things (like that crystal thingy, meaning no commanders and mind powers... and so on..)

etc.. etc...

"good" thing i see that i like is class based thing meaning that soldiers specialize a bit more. they are not all similar.

combat system, is it better or worse? i'm not.... sure. between TU's, real time (with speed converted from TU's) and this two step thing.. it's... tough choice.

for some parts, its good. some... not. it effectively makes snipers without squadsight near cripples. and in some cases provides quite big adventages. in others... disadvantages.

well.. that was the past.. why did i decide to throw money at this? while it wont have all i've liked, it likely cannot be worse than this new Xcom. (graphics will not be as good but... it's not everything. it has a good chance to beat it gameplay wise.)

and if this flops? well.. my life wont end over measly 21.99€ or.. whatever that premium pack cost.

I've rambled on for long enough.

Greetings from Czech republic! ?My country is located in Central Europe, who does not know where it is ..:D;)

I am 33 years old, I work as an operator in pharmaceutical production, pharmaceuticals.

I played all the X-Com series, I love all of strategy, rpg, mmorpg, etc., but Xenonauts is the best!

KATAGARI(David)

Hey little_me! Welcome!

If you're reffering to the pre-order forum badge, just follow the directions here:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/145-How-to-claim-your-Pre-Order-forum-badge%21

About EU2012, you'll here a lot of differing views on the thing. Just remember to keep the discussion civil, and we'll all get along just fine.