Alien Class Analysis Mod

Max_Caine

Okay gang, I need your help.

a333 and I at what I call an imp arse. We're working on the ranking officers of the alien forces at the moment, and we're both of the opinion that high-ranking officers would be equipped with instruments of office, such as martial weapons, or a swagger stick in addition to field gear, buuut, at the same time, instruments of office look less, how to put it.. not quite as "right" as an officer with a field weapon. Which do people want to see more? Ranking officers with instruments of office, or ranking officers with field gear? Naturally, instruments of office would be appropriate to the race.

Edited by Max_Caine
changed "weapons of office" to "intruments of office"

I agree, having something small, ceremonial, and not actually used at all to indicate their authority would look appropriate. Something large, like a saber (or equivalent) would probably look out of place, since it's big and all, but a small ceremonial dagger or knife would be pretty awesome.

Something that you're not going to see in the game would seem a little odd. I'd be looking for swagger sticks on the battlescape for my guys to collect as souvenirs.

Such things would seem, well human too. But then, there's not much that human forces down the ages haven't tried.

Branding, markings, kill counts, tattoos, flesh carvings, genetic modifications, caste markings, surgical modifications - cranial or otherwise, bionic limbs, vat numbers, eye colours/ implants, dental alterations or simply different coloured uniforms...

Without wanting to give away things for those people who have not gotten as deep into the game as I have, all I can say is that personalisation and ostentation among the higher echelons would not be as inappropriate as people might imagine.

You could add some floating marking stuff above them aliens in the battlescape, with a toggle key maybe, some icon indicating what they are, after they've been researched. Not that it's too hard to tell, or something necessary, but it's good fluff :)

This update is dedicated to a_beorning, without whom I would not have been inspired to trap a333 in a cage and poke him with sticks until he agreed to produce art. The Sebillian classes are now complete, from lowly noncom to high and mighty leader. a_beorning! I hope you find this chart useful!

PLEASE NOTE: This has been tested and works with v18. It is currently unknown if it works with v19 HF3. I will get back to you on that. As with other class analysis research, all you need is a corpse, so it should not break saves as it has no research predicates.

sebillifinal_peek_zps9a2f7c03.jpg

Download me slowly. I'll show you a good time.

Would it be too much to humbly ask you to include here the code that needs to be in the researches.xml, xenopedia.xml and strings.xml files? The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to combine your content with my mod that I'm currently playing and which alters all these files. I could try manual comparison, but it's dangerous (not to mention tedious). So pretty please...

Hmm.. okay, I've refreshed the files and tried the noncom out, it should work now.

EDIT: I was very lazy when I put this together, so I put all the class analysis stuff in a single block in each file for my convience. Admittedly, I should have spaced it out, but my laziness will make things much easier for you! I'm not going to put all the code in this post - that would take up a LOT of room. What I shall do is indicate where the block of code is in each file, so you can cut and paste directly from the file. (You'll need to download the zip regardless to get the xenopedia images).

In xenopedia.xml, the block starts at the very start of the file, beginning with Researches.AndronClass1, and finishing at Researches.CaesanClass2.

In strings.xml, the block starts with Researches.SebillianClass1 and finishes with Researches.AndronClass1. This block is located between Researches.ScuttlerDisassembly and Researches.SebillianAutopsy. That's for historical reasons, and I can't remember why I did it.

In researches.xml, the block is once again located at the start of the file, and it starts with Researches.SebillianClass1, finishing with Researches.AndronClass1.

EDIT 2: Anyone else having any problems now?

Edited by Max_Caine

Okay, I've tried it out in HF3 and it seems to work. However, my "test" was to replace the contents of a light scout with the required research item 3 times (as three different corpses can be used). Whether or not it works as properly intended in HF3 is a crapshoot, as I have difficulty getting to the point where I'd get a warrior or officer "naturally". I don't have such a problem in v18.

Sorry for not commenting sooner, I've been so consumed making my Marine mod that I've becoming complacent in stopping by and not saying what a great mod you have here. I took a close look at it today and it's very impressive, this will surely be a must have for anyone who plays the game.

Thank-you for adding the mod. The artists name is a333 (an inhabitant of these forums), please could you grant him equal credit for the ACA Mod, as he didn't just provide pictures, but ideas as well. And thank-you cspruce for the kind words. And thank-you raziel1981 and everyone else I've forgotten to thank!