UFOs & Being Horrible

Chris

Another picture mostly made just for my personal fun without practical purpose, but also some proofs of\and concepts. It's 40x30x2 "quarter map" cruiser and there enougt place on farm map . I think is possible to make it 35X30

thumb.png

I tryed to look how it looks, and I see what you talk about, but I think it's normal if big ufo occupy most part of the map, in classic one it was same way.

I got some concepts when I tryed

thumb.png

These were the examples I remember.

Modern fighting aircraft are sometimes armoured to the point that small arms are ineffective against large portions of their body, admittedly with tradeoffs in other aspects. (Eurocopter Tiger: "The Tiger's armour can withstand 23 mm autocannon fire".)

Given the aliens are capable of building flying ships of massive size, and given their tech and materials advantages, it's not unreasonable to expect that even light alien ship armour is going to pose a severe challenge to anything man-portable, at least until we get much more powerful weapons.

In regards to having just the first floor visible, I'd almost rather keep oversized ufo's as a two part mission, to reduce the disconnect between the two phases. (As ever, while agitating for anything smaller to be kept map accessible as normal, if it's not feasible to keep it all map accessible.)

That's what I'm saying. The ufos are made from alien alloys, a very strong metal. Also, these ships can transansverse space, so they'd have to deal with space junk. Also, at end game, you'll be running into battleships and what not which, to my knowledge, were made to take a good number of punches and keep going. I imagine if 3 fighters have trouble breaching the hull to take them down, your hand held equipment shouldn't especially if you want salvage.

image.png

It's battleship. It's looks flat mostly because the roof, and need to adapt to levels anyway. In game scout already looks slightly different from art by this reason.. It's just rougth scetch anyway. just looking boundaries, the way how it can be done.

Cruiser looks like this

image.png

zzz1010, dude? Could you cover those with spoiler tags, please? I mean, yes, everyone who has the alpha could theoretically access the files, but not everyone does, because they don't want to spoil the surprise for themselves.

Sorry, I haven't thought of it that way. Is my "fan-art" mad models "on motives" are also spoilers? Because, you know, they don't look very similar.

Edited by zzz1010

zzz1010, dude? Could you cover those with spoiler tags, please? I mean, yes, everyone who has the alpha could theoretically access the files, but not everyone does, because they don't want to spoil the surprise for themselves.

EDIT: Thanks for doing that. I wouldn't say the models you created are particularly spoilery - they give impressions of dimensions, but the picture is by necessity a simplified model. Whereas those are straight-from pics.

Edited by Max_Caine

i dont mind 2 part misions hell they give you a reason to carry that extra mag that up till this point has been usless most of the time (MOST)

and if you can manage to keep the smaller ones that are in the alpha right now as a 1part mision and the huge ones as a 2 part mision then do it :D less work to do then to have to make 2 parts for every ship while you have some ships already as good as done :D

@dorphin :

According to the original post, they would apply this to all ships :

I think in the case of the Scout and the Corvette, which could plausibly be enterable in the mission, it'd be best not to do that. This is for consistency reasons. We need to pick a method and stick to it, and I'm pretty sure that this is how it's going to work now. Admittedly it's not perfect, but it seems the only plausible way to deal with the awkward shape and scale of many of our UFOs.

:/

I hope he doesn't go along with "Make it as identical to original as possible" opinion :P

Blasphemy! Summon the Buddhist civillians, that they may smite this heathen with holy flame! :P

On a more serious note, maybe we need a poll - with the three options, chris's new plan, the middle of the road plan (large ufos as 2 part missions, currently accessible craft staying the same), or keeping everything map accessible. I realize a poll by itself won't accomplish much, but it would allow us/Chris to see what the support actually is for each possibility.

I think a poll would not be worth the time.

Chris feels that the only way the ships he wants will work is with his suggested plan.

He won't be swayed by a few people who have clicked a different option on a poll.

I imagine he would be more likely to respond to a well structured argument in favour of a different system.

Preferably one that addresses his own concerns as well.

Telling him you don't like two part missions would not be enough.

Explaining why and giving a good suggestion on how you could achieve single missions without massively increasing the teams workload would be useful.

I don't think that sort of response is possible at this time though.

I don't personally have enough information on the actual problems to be able to put together a plan that works around them.

When Chris gets back to work we should get more information.

Also, Buddhists are pacifists :P

Not on this forum, they're not :).

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2059-Buddhist-Civilians/page27

I realize that at the end of the day, what Chris decides is what will happen. I'm just still hoping to sway him from his current stated plan of having every UFO be a 2-part mission, and if it was clear that most

of the forum users felt the same way, that might have helped sway him.

Of course, I might also have discovered most folks don't mind, and I'm just an old reactionary who doesn't like change :P

Edited by Dix

I haven't been around for a while on this forum (and actually on the internet as a whole) due to my computer being in pieces all over my study room. Anyway I got it reassembled lately so now I can say what I been waiting for after all those weeks of lurking here on my smartphone - I think that breaking the bigger ufo missions into two parters is a REALLY bad idea. These were one of the features I hated the most in TFTD and the thought of revisiting that in this game really ticks me off. I'd rather have the game delayed X monthes (and its safe to say that I'm very much interested in playing this game by now, especially since I decided to wait till the betas come online) then have to deal with every medium-big ufo mission as a 2 parter.

If that is not an option, then I think that 2 particular ideas that were suggested here are the least worse options -

1)Make the big UFOs into a big tile and once the surroundings of the ufo are secured continue to the next part

2)Secure the first level of the UFOs as part of the original mission and then proceed to the other levels as the second part.

I know that this isn't very constructive of me since I'm really just repeating others' ideas, but my own vote would be to delay the game as much as necessary till the team can get it right with the original artwork implemented into map tiles.

You mean, the loudest ones are the most impassioned & caring, right? :P

Chris will do what he decides is best - but the reason he started this thread was to guage people's reactions to the idea, and to look for alternatives.

In fact, reading his post, he doesn't really seem to like the 2-part idea. I think he just doesn't like the alternatives, either.

Edited by Dix

You mean, the loudest ones are the most impassioned & caring, right? :P

Chris will do what he decides is best - but the reason he started this thread was to guage people's reactions to the idea, and to look for alternatives.

In fact, reading his post, he doesn't really seem to like the 2-part idea. I think he just doesn't like the alternatives, either.

Trust me, I've seen stuff ruined because vocal minority is loud :P Of course, in this case it might not be case of vocal minority, but it still doesn't mean it should be done because fans say so.

And really, does everyone hate two parters just because of TFTD?