Sign in to follow this  
odizzido

Struggling to find a use for the light machine gun?

So I have only played three tactical missions but I have already dropped the light machine gun and I have no plans to ever look at it again. I find it has very limited use for my play style....am I missing anything?

The issue I have with it is if I set someone up to provide cover I don't move them often. That means with either the rifle or the machine gun I can get off five shots. They do the same damage with the same accuracy and same range. The higher capacity of the LMG doesn't seem to matter in actual gameplay?

The rifle offers aimed shots which are almost always better in terms of DPS.

I understand that theoretically if you were to assault a position you could move up and also get off five shots with the LMG and it could have the edge over the rifle in that way.....but is that something people use? The shotgun seems a better option to me in situations where that I could, in theory, use the LMG to greater effect compared to the rifle?

So do people use the LMG? Am I just not playing in a way that makes it useful?

LMG are very strong at close range (run directly to the enemy to hit it with all 5 shots) and still somewhat usefull at midle range where shotgun doesnt work at all

Edited by Rusknight

Okay, well as long as some people find it useful that's all that is needed. It doesn't need to be useful for everyone.

You will get in a Situation once or later where you need such a guy or 2 of them. At the Beginning (1st Month to mid 2nd Month) I don´t use them very often, but I and many others get then in Situations where you need such MG-Guys (Men / Women).

In the first 1,5 Months 2 Shotguners, 2 Riflers, 2 Shield-Soldiers, 1 or 2 Grenadiers and 1 or 2 Snipers are enough. After that you need the MG-Guys (when the Robots and Sebillians and much higher Aliens are comming). In that Time you should have the Accelerated Guns for your Soldiers and the X-25-Interceptors.

my team setup that I dont change as it works fine for me till the end game:
1x mars with rockets as recon and artillery
1x shield guy with pistol and stun weapon
2x lmg guys
2x snipers
2x infantry

Edited by Rusknight

We can only test 25 to 50 % of the Game. We haven’t met the real challenges yet, where such soldiers get needed.

To make us Tests easier we get the light and normal Threat as Enemies yet. The real one we will see later after the implementations which get needed for the first 50 % of the Game runs stable.

1 hour ago, Alienkiller said:

We can only test 25 to 50 % of the Game. We haven’t met the real challenges yet, where such soldiers get needed.

To make us Tests easier we get the light and normal Threat as Enemies yet. The real one we will see later after the implementations which get needed for the first 50 % of the Game runs stable.

Well in v12 or so in the second month I had a battle where 10 adrons attacked my dropship at once (it was a balancing bug obviously) 
I had to change my squad composition to 10x lmg guys to win that battle
I doubt final game will be that tough and except this case my squad composition worked really well for me

The funny thing is that if the LMG-Carriers (Men / Women) within a PSI-Control can´t make to much damage to your own guys, than one with a Sniper-Rifle, Pistol, Rifle or Shotgun. Had this yesterday and was happy that I had 2 of that Guys with me.

The other thing is, that LMG´s have many advantages, esp. for Battles with many Aliens or like you announced hard Enemys:

1a: The Enemys get Shocked faster with to many Bullets in the near (they have only 50 % Moving the next Round). Means either a Shot and hope for a lucky hit or run away.

1b: Means that you save Shock-Grenades, which you need later in Rooms or UFO- / Base-Floors.

2: Harder enemys can be killed faster, because more Bullets or Engery is hitting (like the Androns we know atm). But I know that they are the lightest of the Hard enemys from many other Games (like X-COM or UFO ET).

3: The LMG is a medium to short range Weapon and can be used for Attack as well as Defense Roles with the Advantage of many Bullets / Energy Shots.

4: The Damage of the Soldier with in Alien-PSI-Control can be drastically reduced if you move him / her away from the others. If you get lucky he / she panics or get stunned. The best result is that he / she resist that attacks.

5: Yes, it is an support Weapon and you have to use it wisely about the 50 % Movement. The Advantage gives it right to have them with you.

The Weapon has Disadvantages too, that´s right:

1: The Weapon is Heavy and can be used only if you have not used more than 50 % of the Movement.

2: It can only be used from Soldiers with good weight Ballance.

Edited by Alienkiller