Stretch Goal Poll Options

Still kind of confused why reaper hive got lowest out of all map/tileset ones .-. I mean, its most unique out of them all...

Most unique = least seen. I'd rather have a more soviet looking town to add to that whole continent worth of space than an occasional mission that randomly appears with the reaper hive tileset. In other words I voted for tileset content based on how often I expected to encounter it in the game. That mean soviet, military, reaper hive.

That said I do agree the Reaper Hive was the most unique idea amongst them but for overall replayability and diversity the prior two tileset options won out in my vote. Course... I do admit to voting tilesets 1, 2, 3 haha :o

Well, reading from kickstarter update page, indestructible tiles aren't enough...

Now I will have to live with that knowledge that if people had voted slightly differently we would have reaper hive instead of military base one. Oh joy.

Hmm. It unfortunately seems that most people think short term rather than long. I still see a dedicated level designer as a complete waste of resources. It's strange that people actually wanted that more than anything.

Stuff like reaper missions, motion detectors and tall grass will likely never make it ingame as player-made mods if they require engine support. Modding Xenonauts is next to impossible from what I've heard so adding new game mechanics once it's released is pretty much out of the question.

Hopefully the Kickstarter can make it to at least the Soviet tileset since that's the only thing near the top of the list that I look forward to.

The reason why I voted the Reaper Hive as a low-mid priority is because the idea of a mission where you fight a single enemy that respawns infinitely just didn't click with me that much. I'm not against it or anything but all the other tile/mission related features take precedence for me.

I doubt we'll see many (and even less good ones) mods that introduce completely new map tile art. The vast majority will use existing resources. Skilled 2D artists that will perfectly emulate the game's visuals and create whole new game areas will be scarce to say the least and I wouldn't be surprised if none ever appear.

It wasn't so much a put down as referring to the fact that more maps were something we already had in the bag. We'll get them faster now but it'll amount to the same in the end (hence the reference to short-term thinking). Getting more engine features was my priority since once the game is released, there's nothing we can do to add to it.

Tile art is good so I actually voted all of that pretty high. I just don't care much for fighting on military bases hence the lack of interest in it. I did vote it high though since as Jean says, once the game is released we aren't likely to get new tilesets.

It's just the level designer that boggles the mind for me. Everything else makes perfect sense.

Edited by Akavit

It's just the level designer that boggles the mind for me. Everything else makes perfect sense.

I guess people just want more randomness/variety in their basic maps since those are the ones we'll be encountering most frequently. It's the feature with the largest overall effect. You're right that this is probably the most easily moddable thing but I doubt many considered that and I suppose there's something to be said for having it done professionally and available at release.

Now to wait for the Reaper Hive dlc. :P

Now to wait for the Reaper Hive dlc. :P

Actually it's rather funny because I normally can't stand infinite spawning enemies either. I don't like it in FPS and didn't care for the mood of Space Hulk myself (though I didn't actually play it). In a turn-based X-Com style game it did sound a lot more interesting though and I was curious to see how it would turn out.

Plus it would likely have added some new options for modders to toy with.

Edited by Akavit

Hmm. It unfortunately seems that most people think short term rather than long. I still see a dedicated level designer as a complete waste of resources. It's strange that people actually wanted that more than anything.

Stuff like reaper missions, motion detectors and tall grass will likely never make it ingame as player-made mods if they require engine support. Modding Xenonauts is next to impossible from what I've heard so adding new game mechanics once it's released is pretty much out of the question.

Hopefully the Kickstarter can make it to at least the Soviet tileset since that's the only thing near the top of the list that I look forward to.

99% of players will not install player created content. Also Chris has been making the maps in his spare time. Now I see 3 things potenitially coming out of this.

1) Someone comes in and creates a massive range of various levels using the now 6 tilesets, making vanilla awesome.

2) Chris no longer has to worry about when he will have time to make the maps. delegation

3) The inclusion of a dedicated level designer with experience might bring about a streamlining of the map creation tools.

No, I' probably just not buy it or download it or listen to it at all.

Why is the only options buying something homepressed (that you seem to be implying is to be marketed as a professionally made product) or stealing it? Why isn't this hypothetical artist looking into digital distribution?

Edit: I agree with what Gauddlike said. :)

Alot of inde bands and musicians used to print their own cd,s on Cd-r

Before the widespread use of Youtube etc.

And there are still a few bands that do this but its mostly used for demos these days.

Annyway im done with this discussion now

It seams we have difrent opinions and i respect that,

il keep to my opinion and those disagree with me keep to theirs.

Edited by Lodium

Alot of inde bands and musicians used to print their own cd,s on Cd-r

Before the widespread use of Youtube etc.

And there are still a few bands that do this but its mostly used for demos these days.

I don't see the relevance to what was being discussed, and I don't think you answered my question.

Now I see 3 things potenitially coming out of this.

1) Someone comes in and creates a massive range of various levels using the now 6 tilesets, making vanilla awesome.

2) Chris no longer has to worry about when he will have time to make the maps. delegation

3) The inclusion of a dedicated level designer with experience might bring about a streamlining of the map creation tools.

Agreed; the current map creation tools are, well, not easy to deal with. Especially the submap one - I have no idea how to utilize it. Would be much easier if it had a graphical design tool where you could 'paint' the submap. As-is, I doubt we'll get many modded submaps, at least for a long while.

One other thing I'd like to see would be sub-submaps. Basically, allow submaps to be recursive and reference other submaps, to be randomized. That would allow for much more variation in the randomly created maps than we've currently got.

I haven't looked at the current editor yet but I have no doubt it's far easier to use than the ones that came with games I've worked with in the past. I'm not concerned with a lack of maps because if there aren't enough to suit me while playing I'll make them myself and upload them as well.

I haven't looked at the current editor yet but I have no doubt it's far easier to use than the ones that came with games I've worked with in the past. I'm not concerned with a lack of maps because if there aren't enough to suit me while playing I'll make them myself and upload them as well.

You probably should take a look at them first, then. ;)

The level editor is "decent", but the submap editor is something else entirely.

Edited by Kaguya

I really doubt that you've worked on games with harder to use map editing methods than the submap editor for Xenonauts. Even editing the current submaps via textfiles seems easier at first glance - at least then I know what to do. The only 'hard' part is figuring out what the various possible props and tiles are, and that's honestly not all that difficult, since you can browse through them as simple PNGs in the 'tiles' directory.

Oh, another idea I just had to spice up submaps - the ability to have different submaps for different levels/floors. That way you could have multi-floor office buildings (or ships) where you don't need to create an entire new submap just to switch out the layout of one floor. Anyways, just a few ideas - no idea how possible it'd be to implement things like that at this stage.

EDIT: Woops. Just tested the submap editor again and, while it's still horrid, it does actually show you what you're doing - it just does so in a separate window that I hadn't realized existed.

Edited by Langy

Yes. I've been looking it over some and the visual feedback does exist. It's an upgrade from the old Outlaws map-making tools which only had a CAD type 2D interface to work with.

Painting stuff seems reasonably straight-forward as well. The hardest part looks to be doing all the little settings and that's more of a learning curve issue than actual difficulty. Given some time with the community posting feedback and tips online I think this will work.

The main issue I see right now is that the preview/painting screen doesn't open as a window like it says it will. If it did the whole process would be much faster. Alt-tabbing to move between the two is a pain.

I have already made several new submaps and added them to my own levels.

Once you get used to how it works it isn't as bad as you might think.

Time consuming though, no wonder Chris hasn't had a chance to do many of them.

It is not so bad if you run the main screen in windowed mode.

Then you can actually build the maps without alt tabbing after every click.

*edit* Set the window size lower than your screen resolution and it should work in a window.

The main issue is that a lot of the spectres are set incorrectly or not at all.

I have altered a lot of them to use in the submaps I made for myself but neglected to record which ones, they probably got overwritten last Desura update without me noticing.

Edited by Gauddlike

Yes and no. I don't think the mission objectives will be the same but I also don't think they'll be a new mission type either. I was under the impression that they'd be used in terrorist missions. None of the tilesets with the exception of the Reaper option came bundled with a promise for a completely new mission type from what I read.

99% of players will not install player created content. Also Chris has been making the maps in his spare time. Now I see 3 things potenitially coming out of this.

I'm especially hoping #1 and #3 happen - that would be so great!