General Questions (We really need a good faq)

What alien materials are used in construction of human equipment?

How many of these do we need to keep?

Is there a accessable research tree?

What is a recommended base set up? (How many soldiers and fighters per base.)

What is a recommended squad set up?

Edited by craftomega

Imo the numbers vary from person to person. especially if you use vehicles.

and base setups will vary a little depending on if u have alot of bases (doubtful at 2 mil a pop).

one of the great things about these ufo games is working out what alien technology i can use and what is rubbish.

Imo there shouldnt be just one or two paths for any of these style of games

Most of your questions come down to personal preference. I guess the main thing about base layout is knowing where aliens access the base, and that you must protect the command centre at all costs.

As far as I know, they will access from hangars, and the starting base layout seems to back that up.

For your other questions, i honestly don't know, and look forward to working it all out for myself.

Anything recovered from the battlefield that winds up in your stores should end up being used in construction, but right now only money is used for the manufacturing. That'll change before beta though.

Yup, there is a research tree.

Well to my knowledge some of those things we don't have full details on - for instance the whole tech tree, what other resources will be needed to manufacture things, etc. I saw a mention of about 80 things that could be researched but I only know of maybe 1/4th of that number right now. Maybe I missed a post somewhere.. xD

I think all those questions will matter more in beta than now but if I encounter some good tips I'll pass them along.

For instance early on until you start seeing alien land vehicles showing up I find rockets to be superfluous and pointless to have. I'll take a MG early on over a rocket launcher for instance. But later on you want more "dedicated" roles of anti-infantry and anti-vehicle guys, scouts will be those with high APs, your snipers those with really high accuracy stats, etc etc.

Base set up is a whole separate beast as I don't think base attacks are in yet (I haven't run into any at any rate) so it's harder to test and try out right now.

What aliens will be in the game? How many different types?

Seriously, am I only one whose first question about game with aliens is that what aliens there are? .-. There doesn't seem to be any threads about alien types, nor it is asked in FAQs or answered on site.

8 main types and 5 "assisting" types.

Apparantly their names are already in the game files somewhere. It has come up sometimes during other discussions but I don't think it has a dedicated thread.

Searching for "scuttler" should probably show some of the posts.

Edited by Gorlom

Hair? ... could you post a screenshot? Could be really thin spikes perhaps?

I think you will have to ask Chris about artistic choices. He isn't the artist, but the project lead and designer(?). The artist doesn't post on the forum (as far as I know. I think Ive only seen Chris, Matthew, the sound guy and the animator post here.)

I think there might be some info about them but I'd prefere not getting as much since I consider it spoilers.

Well, I might be wrong because I haven't seen concept art, but sprite does look like it has red hair. Though if its red spines instead its still odd choice since red and green contrast and I don't know any reptile with spines that are completely different in color from rest of body .-. I'm just kind of curious about it.

Well, so if I asked from Chris or other developers, I could get info? Or is it something that we aren't told in case it leaks to people who don't want spoilers?

Maybe its his time of the month and there is where he bleeds from?

HAH try to get that image out of your head! =P

PS: Doesnt that collar lizard that killed the fat guy in Jurrasic park have red on the collar thingy while the rest of him is greenish? Is red details with green skin such a wierd combo?

Edited by Gorlom

Well of course we don't know of any that are like that (green and red) but these are aliens and therefore strange in a very real and art limitation freeing sense :D

This post made me do a few quick google image searches a turtle with red marks by its ears and lizzard with red throatsac plus frogs with red eyes

the forementioned fictional jurassic park lizzard

PS. Damnit I'm such an annoying knowitall =(

PPS: a frog with blue and yellow contrasting colours

Edited by Gorlom

@Gauddlike: This game DOES have greys apparently.

@Gorlom: Yeah, but spines are... Okay, I don't know what material spines are made of, but they usually aren't red. Anyway, I'm not complaining that I find it "unrealistic", I'm just wondering about design choice, why did they choose to do that decision?

@Hellstormer: Yeaaaaah, that reminds me of times I asked Elder Scroll fans "Argonians are lizard people. So why the frick female ones have breasts?" and they just answered "Its fictional fantasy race." ;P

Do you know if there exists any info about them? Or are developers withholding info as it would be spoilers?

Well, it's supposed to be a bit of a surprise. Chris doesn't want to spill all the beans or even most of 'em before release. Here's some Andron info I found on an Italian forum. It's from an old news post of Chris' on the old forum: http://gaming.ngi.it/showpost.php?p=13383704&postcount=86

Found info on Sebillians as well: http://gaming.ngi.it/showpost.php?p=13575102&postcount=101

Edited by Jean-Luc

What alien materials are used in construction of human equipment?

How many of these do we need to keep?

Is there a accessable research tree?

What is a recommended base set up? (How many soldiers and fighters per base.)

What is a recommended squad set up?

I did a super fast general gameplay thing on the wiki. It answers some questions and should get new players an idea of what the hell is going on. Unless they are catastrophically mentally handicapped. Though what is obvious to some isn't always the same to others.

I hope it'll be fleshed out a bit more. It's more of a placeholder really.