try to release Xenonauts final version much earlier than the new XCOM ENEMY UNKNOWN

The new XCOM has a big budget and is already on magazines and internet articles everywhere, besides being developed by some big and famous publisher and developer (2K and Firaxis with Sid Meier supervising).

Xenonauts and XCOM are scheduled to be released on the same time period (autumn on north-hemisphere). When the exact xcom release day is known, Goldhawk please try to release Xenonauts at least 2 weeks earlier or better even before, to stand a chance.

Even selling on well known portals like Steam won't be good enough because people with a small budget will choose xcom of course. I will buy xcom and play both but that's an exception. I only knew about Xenonauts because someone mentioned the game on Steam's Xcom specific forum.

Edited by xcom

Yeah, basically I think we'll just release it when it's done. We're trying to finish it as soon as possible but our timelines have always been notoriously fluid. I want it done as much as everyone else, though, believe me - probably more.

Those will be two different games and this project will be the only one very close to the original XCOMs. Firaxis Xcom might be 3d-ish and fancy looking, but IMHO it is somewhat far away from the originals.

Though i understand that many modern players might not be knowing the original series at all and some of them will be selecting the most cooler-looking game between the two (and 3D + animeish looks might be a serious point here).

The trend lately for big publishers is to water down games because they are more interested in striving for broader appeal, and consequently sales, than they are in providing certain details that a niche of gamers covet. Sid Meijer will champion the water down approach, if the differences in his latest releases of Citynation compared to their predecessors are any indication. I think Xenonauts can capture a successful amount of interest by avoiding that, and providing the crunchy detail that we niche gamers that don't mind having to perform actual math occasionally or having to accept principles of finite ammunition will actually enjoy. I for one will flat out thank a STRATEGY game developer nowadays for not insulting me by assuming I'd rather my STRATEGY games become simpler than tic-tac-toe. (Three dimensional tic-tac-toe with lots of brilliant attention grabbing flashes, voice acted by James Earl Jones and Alec Guinness, is still only tic-tac-toe.)

P.S. Can the blaster bombs be optional? Please?

Meh, the new XCOM seems to be yet another victim of "consolitis". All pictures I saw so far show controller buttons everywhere and little else. Notice how there's no proper menus and stuff shown yet ?

I'm very reluctant to get hyped over the new xcom because of that.

Meh, the new XCOM seems to be yet another victim of "consolitis". All pictures I saw so far show controller buttons everywhere and little else. Notice how there's no proper menus and stuff shown yet ?

I'm very reluctant to get hyped over the new xcom because of that.

Didn't they mention in some interview that the PC release would have a different, M+Kb interface?

I reserve judgement on all games until I have personally played them. I think both of the new games will be fun for different reasons so I'm getting both. Having played Xenonauts I already know it's fun xD
Aye, absolutely the same here. I'll definitely will be getting both, unless they bog down XCom with some horrible, horrible DRM (a la Ubisoft) or moronic matchmaking service (GFWL) or something stupid. Or maybe riddle it with bugs (ohai Bethesda).

I reserve judgement on all games until I have personally played them. I think both of the new games will be fun for different reasons so I'm getting both. Having played Xenonauts I already know it's fun xD

Me too. People tend to think that any change from the original X-com is bad, when actually the changes made in the new XCOM make it very appealing, at least taking into consideration that tension IMO was one of the things that made UFO so great. Imagine having to play with only 4 to 6 soldiers in a combat and having only one main base, which can be invaded (nobody knows yet if the aliens win the main base invasion combat, the game is over) .

Not that Xenonauts will not be a tense game, and can be manipulated to be more tense and difficult, but at least for now, XCOM seems worse on that items...i like that very much

Edited by xcom

Me too. People tend to think that any change from the original X-com is bad, when actually the changes made in the new XCOM make it very appealing, at least taking into consideration that tension IMO was one of the things that made UFO so great. Imagine having to play with only 4 to 6 soldiers in a combat and having only one main base, which can be invaded (nobody knows yet if the aliens win the main base invasion combat, the game is over) .

Not that Xenonauts will not be a tense game, and can be manipulated to be more tense and difficult, but at least for now, XCOM seems worse on that items...i like that very much

Tension takes time to build, and I fear the "action oriented" combat missions will eliminate those tense turns where you would move and not find the enemy at all. It looks to me like fog of war has been reduced as well, making even less "unknown" to worry about. I could be wrong, and hope I am, but I think a lot of the tension building elements of the original will be sacrificed on the altar of instant action and gratification. Having 4 to 6 soldiers at first seems like it makes you worry even more about each one.. but in truth this will probably just cause players to load game after every casualty, especially since losing 1/4 of your force in one shot will probably mean a failed mission anyhow.

By the way, from what I have gathered there will be no base invasions in Firaxis' new X-COM. Also, I'm pretty sure lethality won't be as high, because as Jon Van C. pointed out, losing 25% of your force in one single shot pretty much breaks the game. I believe Firaxis will make a nice game, but I don't expect them to capture X-COM's atmosphere.

By the way, from what I have gathered there will be no base invasions in Firaxis' new X-COM. Also, I'm pretty sure lethality won't be as high, because as Jon Van C. pointed out, losing 25% of your force in one single shot pretty much breaks the game. I believe Firaxis will make a nice game, but I don't expect them to capture X-COM's atmosphere.

There will be aliens invading your base, according to this

Previously, you built your base modules like living quarters, hangers, and engineering labs around an access lift from a top-down view. XCOM: Enemy Unknown shifts to a side view with base modules stacked on top of each other. Aliens will attack your base at some point in the game so this change in how players build up their base will shift defensive strategies significantly.

http://videogamewriters.com/xcom-enemy-unknown-details-and-screens-invade-our-mind-35588

About the lethality, i think that just because if you loose a soldier in a 4 soldier-squad you loose 25% of your force, doesn't mean the developers won't try to avoid that or that the game will be forgiving....let's see what comes out...

Edited by xcom

The thing is though, that the disasters are the moments I remember most out of X-Com (or any other game). Unless it was something truly brilliant. I remember being completey fooled by the TUs of the Brainsucker in Apocalypse as it tore the head of of one of my troops; losing half a squad in a lift to a blaster bomb or worse to my own mind controlled blaster bomber.

I don't remember any game that's just straightforward to get through. It might be fun enough, but will lose it's replay value.

Surely, these are game challenges, rather than game breakers (altough I understand the removal of Blaster launchers, just used above for examples).

I haven't read anything back in the admittedly very few pages before; but for me and those on this forum I don't think it really matters if the game is release before or after. I mean, I've already bought this game... and I agree with Chris, it should be 'released' when it's finished.

I don't want the game to drag on endlessly with it being forever Alpha/Beta and that being used as a crutch, even though the game is pretty well sorted by now, a few extra maps would help (I've not modded my game yet) but this thing doesn't crash any more or less than a modern AAA title (zing!) :D

Maybe you were getting it confused with this?

http://www.mmorpg-center.com/ufo-online-preview

*edit* Xenonauts gets a link on that page as well!

The link i posted was talking about the firaxis game, for sure. The graphics are quite different and the text talks about the new xcom all the time.

Here on a interview with the developers, they explicitly say the xcom base will be attacked later in the game

GameSpy: Does that base ever come under attack?

JS: Yeah. Later missions, we're not talking about.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/xcom-enemy-unknown/1220087p1.html

Edited by xcom