Xenonauts Kickstarter and Public Build

Is Aleksi compareing the musician with desura? or compareing Universal Music and Warner with Desura? I got the impressions that it was the latter?

Well, what i was trying to explain breivly, is that 15% for a community, downloadable game via a client application, game cd key system, update functionality, etc... is really fair from my point of view. I was comparing this with the music business (which i know) and that is very unfair. Especially today. I wouldn't even dare of putting here an experience i had with Universal. :D

But, if we look at Apple with iTunes, its about a 30% commission if i'm not mistaken. And after all the expenses you have aside from that (tax, etc), i can loose quite a bit. Desura seems pretty Indie friendly with its 15%.

They also handle the actual sales as far as I know, that is also a big part of it, they need support for transactions as well as have purchasing options etc. etc... I believe most other places (steam for example) take something like 30% although there's not much solid info about it since they kind of want it to be hush-hush.

Considering how much they do provide it's definitely not a bad deal at all as it offloads A LOT of work from the developer. And let's not get started on how little the developer gets from retail sales, that's an abysmally small piece compared to digital sales!

What has KS's inability to process accounts from non-US citizens got to do with "risk"? It's like "I can't fit my head between these metal bars but I'm gonna take a risk and just do it anyway".

Though they may be a work around in this case, we'll see.

It is because of Kickstarter's inability to to this that there are some forum posters that are willing to be their proxy or help create a U.S based "company". I have no idea if this is legal but if it is then it is a risk because there are many things that can go wrong if they do it.

It is because of Kickstarter's inability to to this that there are some forum posters that are willing to be their proxy or help create a U.S based "company". I have no idea if this is legal but if it is then it is a risk because there are many things that can go wrong if they do it.

It is not a risk worth takeing while there are other options available. In some respects you lose even if you win with that gamble.

If people find out their money goes through the bankaccount of an unaffiliated person they aren't likely to contribute and you suffer alot of negative publicity.

To start with, hello, everyone, just registered to tell you how much I want this project to succeed. By the looks of it, you guys, are the only ones doing justice to X-com like games and I love you for it.

Now, from what I can gather, your kickstarter will not happen on kickstarter.com because you need a trustworthy american citizen with a secure bank account so he does not run away with your money. Right? Or there's more to it?

If it is just that, then let us come up with the solution. Back at the EuroGamer Expo 2011 one of your employees did an interview showing of your game with John "TotalBiscuit" Bain. Now, why I am talking about him? Because he has an associate and a colleague named Jesse Cox - an american voice actor and an honest gamer who made video games his source of living. I have been watching content on his youtube channel OMFGcata, all TGS podcasts with TotalBiscuit, Dodger and Jesse, and I can safely tell that he is one genuinely simple, honest and trustworthy person. CD Projekt RED (the developers of The Witcher series) invited Jesse to the press conference, that took place just about a week ago, to give some live commentary about the game during the presentation just because they liked Jesse's Witcher 2 playthrough. In my opinion, Jesse Cox would be more than willing to help you out here, hell, you could even get away with hiring him for a month or two if you need to, he is a voice actor after all and has worked in the field.

All in all, I hope this kickstarter takes off and best of luck.

Ya I really hope you guys try to get on kick starter proper for this. Hire an American to do some voice acting for the game (or whatever) if you need to.

Right now getting on KS could get you an enormous amount of money if the current success stories on there are anything to go by. Many projects on there have far outstripped their goals.

Indiegogo just isn't anywhere as well known.

I am super-amped for this, Chris, and would like to put myself down for the $200.00 ASAP. Seriously. I'd love to give you $5000.00 really, but can ill afford it. So... Yeah, let's make this happen so that I can give you what little spending money I've saved over the year, plus some money that I don't have.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you just 'hire' someone in the United States?

Because it's a risk haveing all that money go through someone elses bankaccount. Not only is it possible that it affects wether donors want to give, but I think Chris is also uncomfortable with the prossibilitie that whoever has the bank account just takes the money and leaves.

It has a bit of a "Nigeria letter" quality to it.