(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

I dont know where to thorow them i dont see anything, unless c4 will do area damage upstars ass well i may try this actualy.

Save attached

Thanks for the save, let me check.

TacticalDragon, could you tell me, where'd you get the mod music from? The main menu music is Two steps from hell, can't remember the title, but the geoscape music, or battle music?

Hello jabbat,

I will send you the information by PM.

Thanks!

Edit:

Main Menu:

Freedom Fighters - Two Steps From Hell

Combat Music:

Combat Ready - Extreme Music

Waves of Fire - AudioMachine

Really Slow Motion - Gender

I already buy limited distribution license for some of the tracks, but I think that we'll remove Music Pack for future releases.

Edited by TacticalDragon

I really think you should consider removing the alien base requirement from tier 3 armor.

The aliens aren't guaranteed to have a base, and it's quite possible to never get the tech or notice the requirement until you dig into the game's files.

Even with the hints you plan it's a ridiculous immersion braking requirements - to have to lose intentionally to get a win.

The worst part is that unlike XCOM-1 you don't know which Alien is on which mission - that big ship could be building a base, or it could be preparing to invade yours or going in for a terror attack. You'll have to let several bad events through before getting lucky and letting them build a base.

Perhaps the problem is that the # of alien fighters that spawn is too low, so you rarely get challenged for air superiority.

TD, doese it vanila bug or not- that aliens throw grenades from the places there no LoS no way even neve seen clearly my soldiers there? like in farm maps, where long hills with plants are.

ps. wow someone done tech tree for vanila

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/432658543422772671/E3FE5A95381BDC4EC77EB65973E27253E85B30FB/

Edited by Kirill Selivanov

The worst part is that unlike XCOM-1 you don't know which Alien is on which mission - that big ship could be building a base, or it could be preparing to invade yours or going in for a terror attack.

Not quite true, but yeah, you only get the hyperspace decoder after you finish an alien base... which kind of defeats the purpose of using it to figure out if they're building a base or not :P

BTW, loving the mod, kinda missing a high-tier aircraft like the marauder or fury, something that can fight a battleship (or at least catch it). Though this way is making me a lot more nervous than vanilla ;)

Edited by alcari

I really think you should consider removing the alien base requirement from tier 3 armor.

The aliens aren't guaranteed to have a base, and it's quite possible to never get the tech or notice the requirement until you dig into the game's files.

Even with the hints you plan it's a ridiculous immersion braking requirements - to have to lose intentionally to get a win.

The worst part is that unlike XCOM-1 you don't know which Alien is on which mission - that big ship could be building a base, or it could be preparing to invade yours or going in for a terror attack. You'll have to let several bad events through before getting lucky and letting them build a base.

Perhaps the problem is that the # of alien fighters that spawn is too low, so you rarely get challenged for air superiority.

Alien bases are not frequent .... well what is this if not frequent (this is play test build v 5.3)

Xenonauts 2014-07-09 12-13-02-26.jpg

BTW, loving the mod, kinda missing a high-tier aircraft like the marauder or fury, something that can fight a battleship (or at least catch it). Though this way is making me a lot more nervous than vanilla

Hmm but they are in-game.You just have to unlock them by dissembling and researching necessary projects.

Xenonauts 2014-07-09 12-13-02-26.jpg

577e7d0a8d445_Xenonauts2014-07-0912-13-0

Edited by Sentelin

TD, doese it vanila bug or not- that aliens throw grenades from the places there no LoS no way even neve seen clearly my soldiers there? like in farm maps, where long hills with plants are.

ps. wow someone done tech tree for vanila

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/432658543422772671/E3FE5A95381BDC4EC77EB65973E27253E85B30FB/

Yes indeed! :D

It is, alien has some kind of aura of detection, in vanilla they can throw grenade "quessing" your there. xD

Again question is it vanila thing that haradian use his jet pack and can land inside building going trough the closed roof?

Hello! Yes xD!

Is a very funny thing!

Alien bases are not frequent .... well what is this if not frequent (this is play test build v 5.3)

I don't line answering anecdotes when posing a logical argument, but if you insist:

That looks like tier 1 radar bases at sub-optimal positions on the map.

Optimal positions and tier 3 cover most of the map. Apollo's cover the rest until you can build sub-bases to plug the holes permanently, and Apollo+Foxtrot, later Saracens / Corsairs with decent offensive tech and tactics take care of every wave.

Why should a player that managed to win the air-war get penalized by missing crucial tech, the only thing in the game designed to mitigate Alien-Control and other high tier Psy attacks?

It may be so in Vanilla and it may be your design choice, but I think it's a poor one.

Another alternative:

- Add Predator unlock to the Capture Praetor mission - if you managed to do that, to clear a Battleship with Tier 2 armor and capture it's leader, you deserve the reward (especially considering what it already unlocks).

Did anyone of you menage to check my save. After milion of reloads I was able to get on second floor of that ufo and kill those aliens, but i prefer to not reload games. It seems second floor ufos has some balkony trough which aliens can shot down but u cant shoot up.

Is this from vanila design that those ufos has those balkonys?? Or some implemented mod change them so they have them now,dynamic ufo assault.FitH?

Edited by Alewalek

as i understand, the balkons appear because kabills interior ufos redesign, yes?

well 2 features, from landship.

they are really crazy 2nd flour killers. they saw my soldiers from 2nd flour and i doesnt even any.

Even more - no area view - the field of balkons, that must show down flour is black.

And second - i stormed andron landship - whom-how... but its crazy (not because they react... just there too low for aliens to react - 2 andron soldiers on 1st flour downed near the gates and 1 on the second besides officer bodyguards pinned in the back room).

But! I even doesn't see the only one defending andron, that stands between 2 balkons in the center of 2nd flour - why? No LoS problems there where! Opened area - just balcon bordeur! Maybe lets tell about it to kabill?

Edited by Kirill Selivanov

Not sure if this is vanilla or the mod, but I was unpleasantly surprised to find that discharging a smoke grenade in gas leads to a large explosion, the results of which can kill many operators on your team. When playing on Ironman, it's these little surprises which are the most satisfying.

Well that's thing with Iroman.No matter how many times you play it's always "fresh",because it doesn't matter how careful you are it's just matter of time when you will make mistake or something catches you by surprise.Honestly I didn't know that discharging a smoke grenade in gas leads to a large explosion but it make sense even though we don't have to do anything with that it's vanilla thing :)

Try throwing smoke/gas grenade in crop field.

as i understand, the balkons appear because kabills interior ufos redesign, yes?

well 2 features, from landship.

they are really crazy 2nd flour killers. they saw my soldiers from 2nd flour and i doesnt even any.

Even more - no area view - the field of balkons, that must show down flour is black.

And second - i stormed andron landship - whom-how... but its crazy (not because they react... just there too low for aliens to react - 2 andron soldiers on 1st flour downed near the gates and 1 on the second besides officer bodyguards pinned in the back room).

But! I even doesn't see the only one defending andron, that stands between 2 balkons in the center of 2nd flour - why? No LoS problems there where! Opened area - just balcon bordeur! Maybe lets tell about it to kabill?

Yes is a problem of UFO desing.... we notice this and other players report it.

Maybe Kabill can help us :/

Not sure if this is vanilla or the mod, but I was unpleasantly surprised to find that discharging a smoke grenade in gas leads to a large explosion, the results of which can kill many operators on your team. When playing on Ironman, it's these little surprises which are the most satisfying.

Question, is there any C4 involved? can you test throw a gas grenade to C4?

TD,

No C4 was involved. A Seb threw gas at my team. I returned fire and of course, all of them missed. Without TUs to move behind cover, I thought at least deploying smoke to protect my exposed operators would assauge my conciousness. But then - BOOM!

Actually - come to think of it, C4 may have been involved. One of my soldiers were killed, and his dropped kit may have included C4 but I don't recall what was included in his gear.

Hi ,my first post here. Permit to me to greet for this great mod , it enhance seriously vanilla game.

Now , if possibile , i will warn about few bug that happens in GC , especially killing cesan commmander (black/red coat alien with helmet) and andron leader (purple sprite) : If they are killed by shoot frontally or attempt reaction fire on my soldiers movement , game crashes. I only suppose a trouble extracting animation from gamepack. this do not happen if i kill from behind or with granades.

Situation involved especially into cruiser hulls

Briefly this time. I will write one more post later about 5.22 about two more diffrent aspects.

Tanks:

Bit more about them.

My suggestions:

Hunter Scout Tank

TU: 50 --> 60 (its Scout Car it has to be fast)

Rate of fire: 3 bursts/turn --> 2 bursts /turn

Damage: no change

Armor: 100% -> 120%

Suppresion: 100% -> 150% (to equalize with rate of fire nerf)

Cost: 66k -> 80k

Aim: remove close range bonus, add a bit long range bonus (curve should be more linear)

Commentary: Scout Car is an early game tank meant to be an equivalent of two Tier-1, lvl-2 soldiers with Jackal Armor and his purpose is to tank damage and provide significant suppression.

Scouts Car used to be to slow and even crippled soldiers were running faster. Lowering rate of fire is meant to highlight support fire purpose of this unit and make him less useful in solo raids.

Scimitar Tank:

Hp: 100 -> 120

Tu: 75 -> 70 (to make hide and seek tactics less profitable)

Fire Rate: 3snap/1aim per turn -> 2snap/1aim per turn

Damage: Same

Armor: 100% -> 130%

Suppression: 100% -> 110% (this tank is about destroying cover and providing small suppression)

Cost 132k 3al 30aa -> 140k 3al 20aa

Aim: Remove close range bonus. If possible make him a bit more able to shoot over obstacles (at least those which are next to him i guess it is impossible)

Commentary: Scimitar is an equivalent (approximately) of two Tier-2/3, lvl-3 soldiers with the Coyot armor.

Purpose of Scimitar tank is to tank damage, provide some suppression, and destroy cover. As a mid-game tank it has to be faster than Scout Car to keep up with soldier progress but still not as fast to make hide and run tactics less profitable. Lowering rate of fire decrease his damage per turn and highlights his purpose of being a support fire platform instead of a solo killer. It also opens opportunities to make him durability by increasing hp and armor (ammunition last for longer) and open some space for making him more tough.

In general:

Purpose of a tank is to be an equivalent of two medium quality soldiers (based on the moment of the tank invention so for example the Scout Car is a equivalent of two lvl-2 soldiers with a basic ballistics and the Jacal armor). By giving away learning capability they should be a bit more powerful at start.

Tank purpose is to be a support unit for your soldiers. It should combine small damage output with nice utility and durability (suppression, cover destruction, durability, morale and suppression resistance). Tank overall damage output should not be bigger than equivalency of one soldier.

Tanks should have lower vision range to prevent player from sending them solo.

Tank shouldn’t be affected (as much as soldiers) by high accuracy modifiers (long range decrease in aim and close range high increase in aim) to prevent players from constant maneuvering (people are mobile tanks are, at tactical level, not). And prevent tank from being used as a chainsaw.

AI should prioritize hitting tanks (to help them do their job) a bit but lower than it does now.

Tell me what do u think about it.

Ground Combat:

counter attack.jpg

Half of the team is suppressed and on fire – could be worse.

Just about Crusier missions (but this is a general issue):

I think they are too difficult and here is my explanation why.

I did a few of them and most and here is a typical schema:

- Killing all aliens hiding in the city without game loading – losses 1 man 1 tank

- Attempting to reach ufo entrance – save game

- Taking position around ufo’s main door

- Sebbilians perform a heroic charge – whole team dead – load game

- Taking positions around ufo’s main door

- Sebilian’s epic counter attack - half of team is dead, technically I can continue but I will regret it cause there is a - commander inside which is probably even stronger – load game

- Taking positions around ufo’s main door

- Sebbilians decide to surrender, nope joke, Sebilian’s counter attack – whole team dead – load game

And so on. Same story is about reaching last room where commander or officer is hiding. Where for example you can be charged by a commander and his 2 bodyguards all of them with bazookas. And trust me they don’t care about distance and are basically unkillable even at normal difficulty.

What I’m heading to is that ground missions seems to be not balanced. It’s good that aliens can perform different moves I have nothing against AI but sometimes they are just too good. Missions are most of the time easy or medium with few super difficult moments.

Your soldiers, no matter how good you or they are, cannot fight with more than 2-3 elite aliens at once otherwise they will be wiped out. You have to isolate them and destroy one by one in order to win. And it is ok. But when enemy is charging at you, its usually already too late to do anything. Even when you know charge will take place it’s still hard to make any preparations cause actually you have to get close to the door anyway to get into it.

Putting some Extra Difficult Moments like counter attack or commander boss fight at the end of the Crusier mission (counter attack of 3 elite aliens with bazookas - good luck) only encourages players to save-load game zillion of times not really to save their soldiers but to save precious time spent on playing a

major of the mission.

counter attack.jpg

577e7d0b4edcc_counterattack.thumb.jpg.4b

Hi ,my first post here. Permit to me to greet for this great mod , it enhance seriously vanilla game.

Now , if possibile , i will warn about few bug that happens in GC , especially killing cesan commmander (black/red coat alien with helmet) and andron leader (purple sprite) : If they are killed by shoot frontally or attempt reaction fire on my soldiers movement , game crashes. I only suppose a trouble extracting animation from gamepack. this do not happen if i kill from behind or with granades.

Situation involved especially into cruiser hulls

Thank you so much for giving us your first post!

Im glad that you enjoy this improved pack for xenonauts (Someone call optional, but I dont think so).

The issues that you point here was already reported.

Download and apply this hotfix to fix this problems, specially the Caesan Leader problem

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a0h8d6nopfb8cna

Thanks for your support, each time that a player like this mod give me hope to continue working.