(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

Stats can be interesting sometimes.

For example the strength. The bonus strength of the armors is not really a bonus, so like the 100 bonus of the predator isn't +100 strength, it just sets the soldier's stat to 100, if it's lower. It's a bit silly, because my soldier had 106 strength and put on a reactor powered power armor wich is 28kg and can't really equip heavy weaponry without loosing TUs, while it's xenopedia entry is says the following: "...The suit uses powerful servomotors that give it functional strength two or three times greater than the average human."..."Nor is the wearer slowed by the weight of their equipment; even the heaviest load is of little consequence to a Predator...")

Well maybe 106 strength is not average human, but can't be really superhuman either, becus XCOM soldiers should be regular humans. It's 106*0.35+8= 45kg carry capacity, which may be a bit too much to carry around for a regular human soldier constantly while shooting, but it's not unbelievably unreal. And the reactor fed exoskeleton armor adds nothing to that :D And they can't even carry a heavy weapon with clips + the predator without loosing speed. That's why I set the armor's weight to 0 in my playthrough.

The other one is accuracy above 100 vs. crouching, which brings an other interesting problem which you are already aware of.

That really depends on what you like and what you don't like but honestly this is kind of disrespect.How can you not like something If you didn't try first ?What I learned following this game since v18 is that things on paper and in-game are two different things and you only can really understand them if try first instead of bringing conclusion upfront.

But never mind above you should also note that everything here is OP for vanilla and you should keep that in mind.And if you are going to take parts of our mod (and you can do it only for your personal use),you should do it this way http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11333-RFC-Modular-system-for-mods

Edit:This post is redundant since user on whom this refers deleted post .. (I hate this kind of behavior )

Edited by Sentelin

Hmm I have deleed my post casue u edited your they way that mine has no sense, but not sure are you writing this to me or did someone else post something and deleted this?

u can delete your next post now I do this when your will gone.

Edited by Alewalek

So maby cap on 100 for ACC/STR and give armor posibilty to give another 25-50 to strength so he will have not problem to cary it and other gear. I read that they make armours modable so it should be possible.

I think that would be the best option. Unfortunately it means that we will end up with all-stats-at-100 soldiers pretty quick (i mean all ur soldiers will look the same - no variety) but its still a lot better solution than having owerpowered monsters.

But if you reduce starting stas from range 40-70 to 35-65 they will not progress so fast. And if cap was on 150 u eventualy finish with clones of 150 stats.

Of course it would be nice to have random cap let say beetwen 90/95 and 100/105 maby, so soldiers vary from each other but this is something I am probably dreaming about. Not sure eather is cap on all stats set up on 100 will not be to low casue they implemented them in this mod to 150 for some reason, thats why i mentioned maby lower them down to 125, or some of them to 100 others to 125 like TU for example. But i wll leave it for the team.

I think Sentelin mentioned smth about slowing down the progress of soldiers this is valid option too.

I have alos heard - maby wrong-that when soldier get a new rank he get some stats bonus so in my game I doubled the requirements for each rank. This leads me the moment when i had 2-3 Captains after 10-11 weeks of play and this may lead to having a lot of soldiers in difrent ranks (lower stats).

Anyway iam just thinking that this is options let them decide what they think is best.

....so please be patient.

Iam trying but Iam not playing xenonauts second day and cheking for news about 5.3 every 30 minuts :P

Edited by Alewalek

Iam trying but Iam not playing xenonauts second day and cheking for news about 5.3 every 30 minuts :P

Real Fan :D Im also waiting for the new version.

BTW: something completely different just came into my mind. Would it be possible to make a big medic kit? I mean, look we have a medic icon and in game I have been using it from time to time. But my medic was just a normal rifle man with 3 medic packs instead of grenades. It was not a very popular role but sometimes my soldiers were just to weak to carry medic kits, so one of them has to be chosen to carry few more for the rest of the squad. So since we have a "professional medic" in the team, why not to make a lets say 2.5 heavier medic kit but also significantly better just for such a guy.

What do u think about it?

BTW: something completely different just came into my mind. Would it be possible to make a big medic kit? I mean, look we have a medic icon and in game I have been using it from time to time. But my medic was just a normal rifle man with 3 medic packs instead of grenades. It was not a very popular role but sometimes my soldiers were just to weak to carry medic kits, so one of them has to be chosen to carry few more for the rest of the squad. So since we have a "professional medic" in the team, why not to make a lets say 2.5 heavier medic kit but also significantly better just for such a guy.

This raises balance issue.If we make big medic pack players will abuse it.

-In v5.3 Vortex gun (and Spine Thrower) will always cause bleeding.Vortex now has small radius meaning that it will only be able to affect one maybe two soldiers if they are very close to each other per round (if you keep soldiers separate.... in other words vortex guns doesn't have large area of effect anymore) .When they got knockout you can use med pack to "revive" them.Now this everyone knows.

-But also everyone abuse this.And as result of it is that you get "monsters" with high ranks,So we lowered stacks to 30.Why we did that ?Well there is good reason behind it.Did you know that med packs first heal wound and then HP ?So if vortex gun inflict one or more wounds and your soldier is knockout med pack will first remove wounds and then heal soldier.And result is that sometimes they won't get up during combat but they will be fine at the end of mission,although you are bound to finish that mission without them.

Edit:If you want to discuss this further please use spoiler tags :)

Edited by Sentelin

Real Fan :D Im also waiting for the new version.

What do u think about it?

I like this idea very much.

Having field dressing available with size similar to grenade would also be nice- it could be used as small, lightweight med-kit to stop bleeding. Would be useful for soldiers with low strength so they can stabilize themselves until medic with full med kit can reach them.

Guys as always you point at the very best moment!

Actually with version 5.2 make some kind of experiment for the future, I want to test the limit and the impact of max cap of soldier's attributes. Now we agree that max some stats to 150 specially TUs and HPs makes soldiers a real superheros.

In other hand as American Pride and Radek point accuracy has a weird bug over 100. An more aspects that make huge unbalance to aliens.

Remember that I'm always experimenting and this moment of XNT is quiet important because I want to set the research system in branches, instead of lineal progression of weapons. Now we understand, now we know the limits and capacity of this kind of features in the game.

Now is time for planing and checking the new version. In future we plan a huge step between 5.3 to V6.

I promise that you all will enjoy a total new system of game research and gameplay.

Thanks for your commitment, you and the XNT team learn together.

:D

Hey guys, nice work for the mod, cant wait for 5.3 :D

Couple of questions:

1. I saw people talk about the "blood mod", is this that one? If so, will you integrate it into the mod?

2. Do you have plans to integrate the mod "economy restored" into XNT? I know there is "Xenophobia Mod" addon that does it, but its outdated now (and will always lag behind). Would be much better if it was integrated.

3. What can we expect from V6 ? Even rough answer would be awesome :D

4. Will the 5.22 version run with 1.08 ?

ps. Will stream your mod on insane on twich sometime soon, albeit on russian.

Edited by RobosergTV

Stats can be interesting sometimes.

For example the strength. The bonus strength of the armors is not really a bonus, so like the 100 bonus of the predator isn't +100 strength, it just sets the soldier's stat to 100, if it's lower. It's a bit silly, because my soldier had 106 strength and put on a reactor powered power armor wich is 28kg and can't really equip heavy weaponry without loosing TUs, while it's xenopedia entry is says the following: "...The suit uses powerful servomotors that give it functional strength two or three times greater than the average human."..."Nor is the wearer slowed by the weight of their equipment; even the heaviest load is of little consequence to a Predator...")

Well maybe 106 strength is not average human, but can't be really superhuman either, becus XCOM soldiers should be regular humans. It's 106*0.35+8= 45kg carry capacity, which may be a bit too much to carry around for a regular human soldier constantly while shooting, but it's not unbelievably unreal. And the reactor fed exoskeleton armor adds nothing to that :D And they can't even carry a heavy weapon with clips + the predator without loosing speed. That's why I set the armor's weight to 0 in my playthrough.

The other one is accuracy above 100 vs. crouching, which brings an other interesting problem which you are already aware of.

Your missing all the point here. Tell me something, in which place the predator armor carry all that stuff? In vanilla you can carry weaponry for platoon. Predator is not a carry unit, is a frontal assault unit, slow and heavy.

I set this intentional, you need to lose fear to overweight this units. All of them carry heavy weapons, difficult to reaload and difficult to carry. You can have strength to carry a car, but is not logical that you can run with the car over your shoulders.

Try to keep to the rules, you will find that Predators are more flavored and balanced. Believe me

Hey guys, nice work for the mod, cant wait for 5.3 :D

Couple of questions:

1. I saw people talk about the "blood mod", is this that one? If so, will you integrate it into the mod?

2. Do you have plans to integrate the mod "economy restored" into XNT? I know there is "Xenophobia Mod" addon that does it, but its outdated now (and will always lag behind). Would be much better if it was integrated.

3. What can we expect from V6 ? Even rough answer would be awesome :D

4. Will the 5.22 version run with 1.08 ?

ps. Will stream your mod on insane on twich sometime soon, albeit on russian.

Well a quick view,

In the future when you were playing XNT you need to choose a path of war. When you choose one, you lose the others, but you become a master in what your doing and this help you to focus the research in the paths of synergy. When you finish you can start again, and choose other path.... the game will be completely different.

Promoting complexity without engage the player to complexity.

Your missing all the point here. Tell me something, in which place the predator armor carry all that stuff? In vanilla you can carry weaponry for platoon. Predator is not a carry unit, is a frontal assault unit, slow and heavy.

I set this intentional, you need to lose fear to overweight this units. All of them carry heavy weapons, difficult to reaload and difficult to carry. You can have strength to carry a car, but is not logical that you can run with the car over your shoulders.

Try to keep to the rules, you will find that Predators are more flavored and balanced. Believe me

About where: good question, but I think the humans are very reasourceful. If something can carry stuff, the will put them on it somehow if they need it :D Hoarding stuff with it can be unreal/unbalanced, the best would be if you couldn't place things in the inventory which you can't use with it, but it's not possible to implement at the moment I imagine. And if you can lift a car, and the servos can balance and move quickly enough under the weight, the you should be able to run with it. If they are not designed for that, then you can't do that. It all depends on what you want that armor to be, but that main point of what I was trying to say is that it's capabilities doesn't really match it's current xenopedia entry. A bit like the electroshock grenades. I was expecting the to kill androns with them, but they wouldn't do that. Instead they stunned all organics instantly :D I expected predators to carry any weight, then I put it on, and can't even carry a korhang without penalty :)

And it shouldn't really weight that much or even anything in my opinion. Looking at it's components, the thick plates an the reactor, it must be multiple hundred kilos at least, but the servos hold and move it, not the soldiers with their physical strength, they would collapse under it's weight. It should decrease the TUs a bit because it's slow to move in (like it does in 5.2, maybe some more) but not further because of strength penalty.

And even if the strength cap will be 100, the armor will not make anybody stronger then he can naturally humanly can possibly get, wich again, isn't really feel right for me.

Anyway, 5.2 was great, I'm not trying to argue or anything. Predator may have been balanced without my change from the game mechanics' standpoint, but from the logic/lore standpoint I think currently it's just not righ. That's all I'm saying. :)

Edited by FaterW

And even if the strength cap will be 100, the armor will not make anybody stronger then he can naturally humanly can possibly get, wich again, isn't really feel right for me.

Anyway, 5.2 was great, I'm not trying to argue or anything. Predator may have been balanced without my change from the game mechanics' standpoint, but from the logic/lore standpoint I think currently it's just not righ. That's all I'm saying. :)

Yeah, I completely understand , Im not criticizing, only that is part of the mechanics ^^

The mod is yours to feel free to make the moddifications that you want. But still remember that I put this small details for some reason, I establish that this is a good way to nerf predator a bit, slowing his movement.

If you see current in development stats of Predator armor you will find a lot of bonus +10 Accuracy, +25 Moral boost, Limited defense against psionics and high armor values and Increasing maximum life. The only backdraws are Reflex -25 and slowing movement.

I think that is pretty fair and falvored that this armor behave like heavy weapon platform and make it specific for some front line situations but not perfect for ALL situations.

:cool:

Hmm.. I also cant wait for 5.3 to try it out. A fresh start after i finish the vanilla version haha.!! will follow this post everyday!

^^

Your completly welcome Alberto,

Me alegra que nos sigas en este proceso de modificcion ordenado.

:)

Good luck!