Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Medal Types?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    Just noting my objection to the iron skull medal because I dislike that type on principle.
    This principle?
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Kill 5 alines in a single mission AND mantain at elast 2 kills per mission for 10 missions = Bane of the Xenos (Crux Terminatus)

Insted of enhancing your morale, this medal reduces the morale of every enemy that sees you.
    Last edited by TrashMan; 06-05-2012 at 06:50.

Here's a few fictional medals...good for refference:

Quote Originally Posted by TrashMan View Post
    Here's a few fictional medals...good for refference:
    I'm pretty sure I've played that game. Which one was it?
    I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

The one and only Freespace series....

Ah, yes! I only played the second one. It was pretty awesome though.

If you look at the Kickstarter video you can see a lot of medals that Goldhawk has designed already. I see some of the names we suggested in the beginning of this thread. It's at 3:16
    I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by War Games View Post
    My Pictures of medals and suggestions for awarding.

http://s017.radikal.ru/i428/1205/43/9db8b79c1666.jpg
    Really nice work and initiative. However I too would prefer not to see skull type medals in game.

From my perspective, we will be controlling humanity's finest forces with the best resources in a unified effort to defend itself. From that starting point, using imagery of death and doom doesn't fit with the ideology, and feels wrong. For me it brings Nazi SS symbols to mind, which is probably the antithesis of what we should be aiming for.

In my opinion, medal symbols should be positive and humanist. I'm thinking along the lines of Eagles, the Earth, Shields, maybe something like Da Vinci's vitruvian man. Something that highlights the best ideals of humanity.

On a different subject regarding earlier arguments I read, I don't think there is anything wrong with using purple heart as a medal. Yes it is very American, but its also iconic, and it means something. We could make something original just for the sake of being original, but my feeling is that any imitation medal with a different name would be lesser.
    Hicks: I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.
    Frost: I heard that.

Squaddie
    Medals and bars.

I feel you should be awarded a medal for a given campain (a given ammount of killing in a continent). Once you have achieved the medal you then start working towards bars.

for example:

Fighting in Europe:

10 missions = 1 medal
    Further 10 Missions = bar added to medal.
    etc.

The key is that this is in Europe, there are a lot of continents and a Solider could complete missions in each contnent and get the acculimated campaing medal.

Soliders could recieve a medal such as long service and good conduct. surviving xx months without killing civilians/property.

been awarded for taking a bullet should also be noted (perhaps standing infront of a team mate on a predictable next turn shot).

I think awarding medals for the ammount of kills could be classed as a little distaistfull and capturing aliens should be better than killing them.

However, special achievments could/should be awarded such as bravery, good shots, healing others.

In simple:
    Award Medals for completing xx battles in a given zone/continent.
    Award medals based on clean service history
    Award selfless acts and skillful moves (shots, healing taking a bullet)

Quote Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
    In my opinion, medal symbols should be positive and humanist. I'm thinking along the lines of Eagles, the Earth, Shields, maybe something like Da Vinci's vitruvian man. Something that highlights the best ideals of humanity.
    Why eagles? the medals should not use any US or another country symbols. (like bears for soviet ones)

This is a medal from United Nations, we can have something similar but with another phrase.

or

UNIFIL Peacekeeping medal

(sorry for my english, not my native languaje)

should be based on something that symbolizes unity/spirit of the human race/etc. Using any nationalistic symbol of any particular country would be wrong imho.