Build V9.5 Released!

EDIT - Updated the build on Desura to include some new fixes. I've reuploaded it and dropped Scott an email as I'm heading to bed now. Hopefully it'll be authorised in a few hours.

Build V9.5 has been uploaded to Desura and is awaiting release. When Scott from Desura comes on I'll get him to authorise it and clone it over to the standalone downloads too. We're going to try not to add any more features to the V9.x after this, and instead concentrate on fixing the major bugs.

This build has been fully sanitised - ie, I've gone through the files and tried to remove all references and art related to the end-game technology where possible. I pay less attention to doing this for pre-order builds, but I'd rather have a relatively clean public build. This process often causes extra crashes, so if the build is less stable then that's likely why. Post up the bugs and I'll hopefully be able to fix them up.

Here's a basic changelog:

- Hidden Movement AI loop fixed (we think)

- The new grenade explosion is now accompanied with new (thinner) smoke, and grenades no longer cause fire

- I've added the basic tiles for Corvette UFO maps, though these are not complete. We need to update the ground tiles. Attacking a Corvette crash site should no longer cause crashes though.

- A whole bunch of sprite animations have been added. The Wolf Precision Laser should no longer cause crashes, the Caesan Soldiers are aligned correctly in their tile now, grenade throw animations should display correctly now, as should the animations for units hopping over fences. Machinegun-equipped troops should have their correct sprites now too.

- Equipping an alien weapon should no longer cause a crash, though the soldier will appear as unarmed

- Various tile updates to fix problems where you could walk through walls etc. If I've missed any, please report them.

- UFO fighters should no longer "crash into sea" whereever they are, instead they should be "destroyed" (they don't spawn crash sites).

- In /assets/weapons/ballistic there are a bunch of alternate weapon tiles. These include Soviet variations on the starting weapons, and unused Cold War weapons we drew up before deciding on the starting weapons we currently use. If you're a budding modder, you may find them useful.

- Xenopedia display bug fixed, so images should always appear for research projects where they exist (which is for most of them).

- Xenopedia typos corrected.

- Town civilians are no longer invisible.

- The "Full Demo" now lasts slightly longer before expiring and the Scout craft spawn a little bit earlier.

Known bugs:

- Loading a save game will tend to screw up any research projects in progress at time of save.

I'm now starting to focus my attention more on the actual Kickstarter stuff than on the build, although we will still be adding new art to the build.

Edited by Chris
Updated build contents

Known bugs:

- The Xenopedia research images don't display on 1280x768 and some other resolutions.

- It seems saving can still screw up the research.

I should point out it seems that it's saving/loading while research is in progress that breaks it, rather then just saving/loading in general.

Hopefully that nasty AI bug is truly quashed as well.

Good stuff Chris and Co.

Edit: Don't forget people, it's nearly 5am in the morning in Eastern Australia, so don't expect Desura to update for another few hours.

Edited by Buzzles

Just bought the pre-order after getting my hands on 9.1 for a couple hours. All I can say is , wow things have improved loads in 2 weeks.

1 issue I had playing the kickstarter build is that nothing really happens for about 4weeks. I got 2 fighter pop-ups and 3 ground missions, during which I did all the research, built up my base and built 2 migs. Spent about 15minutes staring at the fast forward button waiting for a popup.

Would be cool if I had to take on 2 fighters at once near the start. So I had to plan my attack.

Anyways, goodluck with the kickstarter.. may even buy my bro a copy with it.

So nice! But i think kickstarter must be your first prerogative!!!

Because if you keep this pace as now, you don't release game until the end of 2013. I'm watching the project for several months and I understand that. Without additional funds, you will fail in time. It's my opinion. And I didn't want nobody to offend.

Looking forward to test it, Chris. Biggest yay for me is Xenopedia images actually. :P

And I didn't want nobody to offend.

This means that you wanted someone to offend. ;) It's a double negative. "And I don't want to offend anybody." Would be more correct to what I think you mean. I mean no offence, just letting you know:)

Looking forward to test it, Chris. Biggest yay for me is Xenopedia images actually. :P

This means that you wanted someone to offend. ;) It's a double negative. "And I don't want to offend anybody." Would be more correct to what I think you mean. I mean no offence, just letting you know:)

You correct double negative but not prerogative -> priority? or did he really mean prerogative? =S

Edited by Gorlom
misspelled prerogative as perogative.

Well, you know a typo is one thing, something that has a complete opposite meaning of what, I assume, he's going for is another. :P

It's quite an effort to hold all the pedantic grammar naziness in check! (Yes, I'm aware that I make mistakes all the time. I am, sadly, but a lowly human.)

Edit: Isn't it lunchtime in Australia soon? Slackers!

Edited by IceVamp

It's 4:35 pm now in Melbourne and Sydney. Looks more like it's not going to be today. I wonder how many games they need to authorize and update each day, and if that process, so key for a service that focuses on works-in-progress, is sufficiently prioritized.

OK, should all be authorised now and available on the standalones too. Matthew is suggesting we've not actually killed the hidden movement bug after all. If you guys could confirm either way (and if it is reduced in incidence if it has survived) then that would be great.

They haven't authorised it as they were confused that it said Kickstarter Build and had references to the demo in it. I've given them the go-ahead to do it now. Let's hope they do it soon.

Dock them a weeks wage and they won't do it again.

I don't know, you just can't get good service any more, I blame mobile phones.

Update now available! Holy crap that took a while!...

Roughly 14.5 hours from when Chris posted to when it became available on Desura

Update: 4 hours later Desura still says "Validating Download: Checking old install files..." 93/100.

It is still moving though because 15-20 minutes ago it said 92/100.

What could it be doing that is taking so long? Checking old install files does not seem like it should take 4+ hours. It's not as if I am having to compile the build from source, or render 3D animation or something.

Edited by XenoNUT
Update