Callsign System - Feedback Wanted

What do you think of the callsign system described?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the callsign system described?

• I love it, no changed needed!
    • I like it, but I think it could be better.
    • I don't care.
    • I don't like it, it needs major changes.
    • I hate it, please let someone else work on this!

Hi there,

I am starting this thread to collect some feedback on the callsign system I plan on implementing for the game that will be similar to FiraXCOM's callsign system. I think it would be useful to hear some people's thoughts on what they think about what I'm proposing. Keep in mind that I am ultimately going to do what I want and that I am under no obligation to tailor the system to your specific needs or desires; likewise, you are under no obligation to use this feature whenever it is released.

How the System Works Now

The callsign system is partially implemented for Soldiers at this time.

Soldiers are created with a 'name' which is what you initially see. This consists of a first and last name, though the game doesn't not break it up internally in such a way.

Additionally, every soldier has a 'callsign' attribute that is initially unpopulated. When you choose to 'rename' a soldier from the equip screen, you are actually populating the 'callsign' attribute and now this is what is shown for your soldier. Their name is not actually over-written but it is no longer displayed.

What I Am Suggesting

• Change 'rename' to actually rename a soldier, over-writing their existing name. 'name' would now consist of a 'firstName' and 'lastName' and you would enter these separately when renaming a soldier.
  • Callsigns are generated randomly when some condition is met (i.e. soldier reaches rank of X., survives Y number of missions, kills Z number of aliens, etc.).
  • Callsigns will be drawn from a callsigns.xml document which will list all possible callsigns, separated by stat. When a soldier is assigned a callsign, the callsign is randomly selected from the list corresponding to their highest stat and some general list. For example, a soldier with accuracy as their highest stat might end up with the callsign 'Deadshot' or 'Eagle Eye', someone with high reflexes might be 'Twitch', someone with high strength might be 'Bruiser' or 'Tiny'. You get the idea, it's meant to add some personality to the callsign system.
  • Callsigns would be displayed under soldier name in the equip screen, there's a conveniently blank area for this.
  • Soldier names would typically be displayed as <first name> "<callsign>" <last name>, depending on space considerations (I haven't really considered Ground Combat and how that would work space-wise).

Things I Might Do If They're Not a Huge Amount of Work

• Allowing for callsigns to be modified.
  • Disabling random generation entirely.
  • Adding options so you can choose when/if callsigns are displayed.
  • Take the above further and allow for greater name display customization (just first name, just callsign, callsign and last name, etc.)

Feedback

How does that sound to most people? Do people like the FiraXCOM nickname system? I thought it added a lot of flavor to your soldiers and made them more 'real' in some sense. Plus, it was occasionally hilarious in terms of nickname/class combinations and that sort of thing.

Way back in the day there was a "callsign" feature which was solider name that you couldn't modify. There was a huge bust up about how you couldn't change one text field you would only ever see in the equip screen. Here's some highlights, which ended up with a field being removed.

So, uh, when you indicate that callsigns can't be modified, be prepared for a bit of a backlash.

Personally I didn't care for the random callsigns from firaxcom so I have conflicting feelings about this.

On one hand the random callsign generation can give some personality to troops you were not otherwise bothered about.

On the other hand I tend to rename my primary soldiers according to a theme, usually something different each playthrough.

For me a randomly applied callsign would spoil that aspect of the game.

I think it would be a good addition and like the suggestion of a callsign being awarded in a similar way to medals but would ask that you allow callsigns to be modified.

That gives someone like me the most freedom to have the random allocation of callsigns to the redshirts while allowing me to keep my personalised troops more personal.

*edit* I am curious about this:

Keep in mind that I am ultimately going to do what I want and that I am under no obligation to tailor the system to your specific needs or desires; likewise, you are under no obligation to use this feature whenever it is released.

If it is added to the community edition code the only way it could be optional is by not using the community edition at all so having some way to disable this feature would be appreciated.

Edited by Gauddlike

Personally I think what's been described is fine. I'd argue, as above, that they should be able to be changed by the player but I wouldn't recommend removing the random function because - again, personally - I'm not particularly interested in having to come up with a callsign for dozens of soldiers per playthrough. So I'd argue that random but modifiable would be best (and with the callsign list externalised for adding more things in, if this is possible).

The biggest problem I see is splitting the name into a first name and last name. It immediately sends alarm bells regarding this. Presumably the reason for the first/last split is to know where to place the callsign, but then you will anyway run into problems with a ton of names.

Also bear in mind that ground combat doesn't have much room for displaying names, really. Most of the time you will not be able to write First "Callsign" Last - it's not uncommon for the current names to already take up most of the horizontal space available.

The biggest problem I see is splitting the name into a first name and last name. It immediately sends alarm bells regarding this. Presumably the reason for the first/last split is to know where to place the callsign, but then you will anyway run into problems with a ton of names.

Also bear in mind that ground combat doesn't have much room for displaying names, really. Most of the time you will not be able to write First "Callsign" Last - it's not uncommon for the current names to already take up most of the horizontal space available.

How so? By default the game already randomly generates names as 'firstname' plus 'lastname' so wouldn't this make sense? I figure you could have multiple last names if you're so inclined (i.e. Mexican names) or a first name and middle name in the 'firstName' field, or first name and initial, whatever.

Regarding GroundCombat, you're definitely write so some additional customization might be needed. I think it'll just become a toggle of 'display name' vs. 'display callsign'.

People seem to feel pretty strongly about being able to modify callsigns so that's something I'll go ahead and do no matter what as part of this. As noted in the OP, callsigns would be externalized in an XML file so modders could add callsigns galore.

Along that same note, I'd be happy to take callsign suggestions in the form of '<callsign> - <stat>' where stat is the soldier stat that the callsign should be associated with or 'general'.

Oh, my bad, it is already first + last in the game files. So the game already does stuff like putting spaces into last names for names like de Jong.

Callsign modification should definitely be in, also as a bonus, if anyone then wants to disable the feature completely, it would presumably be as simple as erasing all callsigns from the file.

Nice idea. Thanks for doing this.

I made a mix of pictures that will highlight some interface issues that will have to be adjusted if you want to extend the amount of characters. In my game (XNT mod) the limit is set to 40 which I think is twice as much(?) as vanilla allows:

6ddd6ceb8c8cd2f3c51513a68b2edadc.jpg

- soldier equipment screen: no problems in the profile name, but the dropship soldier list below does cut names which are too long

- GC: Names will be weirdly put in upper case and the last name will not appear at all.

- Barracks: 32 characters can fit in...though 31 would be the top if you want a space between the next table. The rest will be cut away.

- Dropship menu - the names seem to auto-scale there so even 40 characters is no problem.

----------------------------------

Other then that I agree that the player should be able to moddify the callsing. But as you said already you would try to achive that, so just one question arises:

- will the player be able to give a callsign from the start or will he have to wait for the callsign trigger (experinence, kills etc)?

- Also will you add any signs seperataing the callsign from the names? For example:

Josh 'Slippery' Eals or Josh -Slippery- Eals

seems to look much diffirent than

Josh Slippery Eals.

6ddd6ceb8c8cd2f3c51513a68b2edadc.jpg

6ddd6ceb8c8cd2f3c51513a68b2edadc.jpg.d26

Nice idea. Thanks for doing this.

Other then that I agree that the player should be able to moddify the callsing. But as you said already you would try to achive that, so just one question arises:

- will the player be able to give a callsign from the start or will he have to wait for the callsign trigger (experinence, kills etc)?

- Also will you add any signs seperataing the callsign from the names? For example:

Josh 'Slippery' Eals or Josh -Slippery- Eals

seems to look much diffirent than

Josh Slippery Eals.

Regarding your first question, probably the latter. I liked the idea that callsigns are 'earned'. In the real world (I'm drawing from my experience in the Marines here), you don't show up to a brand new unit and get assigned a nickname (other than something juvenile or homophobic) before proving yourself.

As for the second, as noted in the OP, I plan on using double-quotes to make the callsign distinct.

I will likely plan around max 10-12 character length for each of first name, last name and callsign and let things larger than that break. I can't account for impossibly long names.

Honestly, I think removing the first name from display lists and replacing it with the callsign would probably work the best. Display the full name in the barracks, but elsewhere just use 'RNK. "Callsign" Last'. In the barracks, the callsign should be its own display line underneath the name, so you'd have something like:

CPL. Joseph Jugashvili

Callsign: Man of Steel

Rename Soldier | Change Callsign

Age....etc

Alternatively:

CPL. Joseph Jugashvili

Rename Soldier

Change Callsign

Age....etc

And, of course, the callsign stuff would only appear if the soldier has earned a callsign.

Why should there be designated rename buttons? Just clicking the name is enough.

I would either go with double-clicking a name to rename or draw a little pencil button and put it next to the name for editing. I think the current label takes up too much UI space and I certainly won't add a new one for the callsign.

Random call signs would be fun, but definitely need to be changeable.

For the earning thing, you said you would make it so you can change the real names too right?

So people who really want call signs straight away can just do that.

And yes, I think you should be able to rename your soldiers from the get-go, how else do you name them after your family members, friends and self?

With original XCOM, I used to have to hexedit my savegames to do this so I think it warrants being an easier process in TYOL 2014.

And yes, if you choose to just use a 'callsign' as your soldier's name I guess you could but it would look stupid, so there's that. That said, I have no interest in telling people how to play or not play their game.

I'm happy to make my work as flexible and customizable as possible, depending on the amount of effort that requires, since my time is obviously not unlimited.

Hello, I would really like the Call sign as separate to the `real name`. Under the real name would be better imho. I like them having their default real name since in reality I wouldn`t change their name that their `parents` gave them, but as the boss I would like to give them a moniker or callsign that helps me remember them fondly\know what their best job is.

Hello, I would really like the Call sign as separate to the `real name`. Under the real name would be better imho. I like them having their default real name since in reality I wouldn`t change their name that their `parents` gave them, but as the boss I would like to give them a moniker or callsign that helps me remember them fondly\know what their best job is.

Did you read the OP at all? I specifically address your "concerns".

Honestly, I think removing the first name from display lists and replacing it with the callsign would probably work the best. Display the full name in the barracks, but elsewhere just use 'RNK. "Callsign" Last'. In the barracks, the callsign should be its own display line underneath the name, so you'd have something like:

CPL. Joseph Jugashvili

Rename Soldier | Change Callsign

Age....etc

[snip]

I think this is a great way to deal with name-length - you're stuck with your real name until you get given a callsign; then the callsign replaces your given name in length-limited spaces. No extra length, and tons of tasty flavor.

And if I want to call my dude 'toadstool', I can do it without feeling bad about erasing the name his momma gave him. ;-)

A second suggestion: Let people add the 'manual' callsigns at any time, which then supercedes the randomised stat-based defaults. That way, the soldiers with callsigns are those who have actually achieved something, and those you care about.

The latter can be importaint if, eg, your rookie manages something completely insane, but not strictly recognised by the ruleset defaults. Your halpless rookie scout who landed up in the open yet somehow dodged six plasma bolts in one turn? Yeah, he's gettin' called 'Lucky'.

• 4 weeks later...

I like it! This was one of the features I missed most when I migrated from X-COM to Xenonauts. If you don't mind me going on a slight tangent, wasn't there a thing on the Kickstarter page saying they might have done something like this for pilots if they had reached enough funding? Will do you anything like that as well?

EDIT: Didn't notice this thread was almost a month old until after I posted. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by MortuusSum