Xenonauts: Marine Edition

cspruce

This is my XML update, there's only a couple small game changes to reflect a more realistic experience.

Ranks

Ranks now are reflected in game not just with an icon but in all text formats found through out the game. In addition you'll need twice the XP as before to acquire a rank. Here are a list of ranks:

colonel_zps796a8e8b.png

Captain (I've never seen an Officer higher than Captain in the field leading troops)

commander_zps486863b9.png

2nd Lieutenant

major_zps5d2672bc.png

Gunnery Sergeant

captain_zps4a7a69a2.png

Staff Sergeant

lieutenant_zpsf4dff0ce.png

Sergeant

sergeant_zpsd5b47360.png

Corporal

corporal_zps887fc545.png

Lance Corporal

private_zps919b2e5f.png

Private First Class

CO_zpsea3deb14.png

LTCOL - CO Role Position "Commanding Officer"

XO_zps0040ad67.png

Major - XO Role Position "Executive Officer"

At some point I'd like to add in the Private, First Sergeant and 1st Lieutenant Ranks but for now I think what we have works. I did some testing yesterday and I encountered some issues when I tried to add in an additional rank. Instead of spending my time trying to make this work I decided it would be better to finish up the last few art projects that need completing so I can release a beta for testing and get this out to the public to play.

armours/armours_gc:

-made some adjustments to the armor, for example the NBC suit has less Kinetic protection but more chemical protection. I also upped the fire protection for the MARPAT uniform as it's some what fire resistant.

-removed hands and face images from armors that didn't need them in the barracks.

gameconfig:

-increased starting funding

-adjusted recruits between the ages of 18-27, 10% of it being a female

soldiernames/soldiernamesfemale

-completely redone files

-new American/Canadian names listing

-Experience chance for every regiment/battalion

-Instead of Nations you now get all four active Marine Corps Divisions, below is the list with it's regiments and how they are organized. It's all broke up correctly as it is in real life, you won't get Marines from 1st Mar Div assigned to 3rd or 4th regiments.

1st MAR DIV, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, CA

- Regiments

1st Marine Regiment "First of the First"

5th Marine Regiment "The Fighting Fifth"

7th Marine Regiment "Magnificent Seventh"

11th Marine Regiment "The Cannon Cockers"

Combat Logistics Regiment 1

Combat Logistics Regiment 15

Combat Logistics Regiment 17

2nd MAR DIV, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, NC

- Regiments

2nd Marine Regiment "Tarawa"

6th Marine Regiment "The Fighting Sixth"

8th Marine Regiment

10th Marine Regiment "Arm of Decision"

Combat Logistics Regiment 2

Combat Logistics Regiment 25

Combat Logistics Regiment 27

3rd MAR DIV, Marine Corps Base Hawaii

- Regiments

3rd Marine Regiment

4th Marine Regiment "china Marines"

12th Marine Regiment "Thunder & Steel"

Combat Logistics Regiment 3

Combat Logistics Regiment 35

Combat Logistics Regiment 37

4th Marine Division (Reserve) New Orleans, Louisiana

- Regiments

14th Marine Regiment

23rd Marine Regiment

24th Marine Regiment - NOT USED

25th Marine Regiment "Arctic Warriors"

Marine Corps Security Force Regiment

Marine Special Operations

Recruit Training Regiment - No Combat Experience, just SOI "School Of Infantry"

Combat Experience:

Afghanistan

OIF

OEF

CJTF-HOA

"None" School of Infantry

I will be updating the medals and awards today, and then finishing off the female portraits. After this I will be offering up a couple beta postions. I don't have any requirement on being super active in the forums, but you must have a simple understanding of helping me breakfix errors if you find any. This means you'll be looking through the three or four xml files with me to find errors and correct them. To date I've only run into one small error but I like to provide a bug free experience before I release it. I expect that I'll share this at some point in the next couple weeks.

Lastly I've been trying to come up with a name, if you have any suggestions let me know, for right now I'll be using Xenonauts: Marine Edition

static_zpse20dc3be.png

Edited by cspruce

Looks like this is really coming along well.

But I think we're missing the most important question here.

Does anyone have Sarah Spruce's Phone Number?

I mean heh, she can storm my beaches anytime.

Err, well, I mean I'd like to storm her beaches..or umm....nevermind.

What's with the redicoloously impractical/silly helmets?

It's a garrison cover or "piss cover" and it's worn in the garrison, not deployed to OCONUS. I was saving this to show at a later date but I guess I'll give a sneak peak. I will be replacing that uniform with the Dress Blue Deltas/Charlies when time permits.

MSG_zps0340e447.png

I view the PFC's (Private First Class) without armor as MSG (Marine Security Forces), or that is their design. Because after all if your base gets attacked while you're away the only personnel protecting your base are what ever lower ranks without armor you left behind. Eventually I will script it so that if you are in the field you'll wear your combat uniform and if you are defending a base you'll wear your uniform to represent the MSG (Unless you have some manufactured armor). I wanted the MARPAT uniform to be something you researched; "earned" not given.

U.S._Marines_arm_themselves_with_the_rifles.jpg

Here is a short video of what I'm talking about:

U.S._Marines_arm_themselves_with_the_rifles.jpg

U.S._Marines_arm_themselves_with_the_rif

By the way, the game doesn't support more than eight ranks. Sorry, mate. Love what you're doing here, though. Looks very good. :)

I've noticed that after I took a peak at the "WG Mod", I like the Army stuff he's got posted in there, looks good. I did try to circumvent it but alas it's hardcoded. Who knows maybe one day we'll have the tools to change it.

Prior service Marine reporting in and loving the mod so far. Looks pretty good to go from what you've got so far. ONE thing, though.

Maybe flight suits instead of Charlies? Or alternately, start off with basic MARPAT cammies and go to the newer FROG uniforms and armor rather than cammies and armor. I dunno. I get having the little unarmored Marines running around in Chucks during base defense, but I can totally see the unit saying "Hell with it, flight suits, we got no time for this service uniform crap."

Also, if you wanted to say "screw officers" and use a somewhat plausible rank system incorporating basically just enlisted dudes and guys pulled from enlisted ranks, just run it Private > Private First Class > Lance Corporal > Corporal > Sergeant > Staff Sergeant > Gunnery Sergeant > Warrant Officer.

That last bit does away with officers who have less experience than most Lance Corporals do, and represents a gunny who's taken the non-admin Warrant Officer track, and heads off to the Basic School anyway.

Edited by EchoFourDelta

Prior service Marine reporting in and loving the mod so far. Looks pretty good to go from what you've got so far. ONE thing, though.

Maybe flight suits instead of Charlies? Or alternately, start off with basic MARPAT cammies and go to the newer FROG uniforms and armor rather than cammies and armor. I dunno. I get having the little unarmored Marines running around in Chucks during base defense, but I can totally see the unit saying "Hell with it, flight suits, we got no time for this service uniform crap."

Also, if you wanted to say "screw officers" and use a somewhat plausible rank system incorporating basically just enlisted dudes and guys pulled from enlisted ranks, just run it Private > Private First Class > Lance Corporal > Corporal > Sergeant > Staff Sergeant > Gunnery Sergeant > Warrant Officer.

That last bit does away with officers who have less experience than most Lance Corporals do, and represents a gunny who's taken the non-admin Warrant Officer track, and heads off to the Basic School anyway.

Very good suggestions, I replied to you via a private message. I refuse to put Privates into the game, by the time a Marine has finished at the RTR, SOI or MCT with an A-School they would be at least a PFC, if not a LCpl. Take into account that if they were the best of the best to be selected for this "Special Marine Unit", they would be LCpl's if not an NCO upon given this prestigious assignment.

It takes 26 months to go through some of the most advanced Special Warfare Schools (SEAL INDOC) + what ever hypothetical UFO schools you needed to attend. So that's Bootcamp+SOI+INDOC+Any other Special Warfare Schools (If you don't get injured). You're looking at 36 months minimum, I think you'd be an NCO by then. Many "Special" assignments within the Armed Forces require applicants to be NCO's before they can even apply.

Sent you a few PMs back, weighing in on the rank and uniforms deal, with a neat angle on the ranks you might not have considered.

> You're looking at 36 months minimum, I think you'd be an NCO by then.

3 years to Corporal? In the infantry? What kind of crack are you smoking? They keep those cutting scores attached to the nose of forward-deployed F-18s. I dunno, maybe we got some 5.0/5.0 Marines running around this bitch pulling 300s on the PFT whilst blowing Chesty's ghost.

(and yeah, I'm one of those poor assholes that got his warrant in the mail a year after EAS)

Edited by EchoFourDelta
oohrah

sent you a few pms back, weighing in on the rank and uniforms deal, with a neat angle on the ranks you might not have considered.

> you're looking at 36 months minimum, i think you'd be an nco by then.

3 years to corporal? In the infantry? What kind of crack are you smoking? They keep those cutting scores attached to the nose of forward-deployed f-18s. I dunno, maybe we got some 5.0/5.0 marines running around this bitch pulling 300s on the pft whilst blowing chesty's ghost.

(and yeah, i'm one of those poor assholes that got his warrant in the mail a year after eas)

"5.0/5.0" lol

July 19th 2013 - New Haircuts, cleaned up facial textures

I've been pretty busy this week but I did find time today to begin matching up the faces to their portraits for the equipment screen and in doing so I decided to stop and offer you a little more variety in your Marines. Instead of just having all the same high'n'tight I'll be giving a very wide variety of haircuts to each of the 82 Marines. I have not expand on how to add in additional recruits but eventually I'd like to have over 200 portraits so that every game offers a new pool of unseen recruitment experience. Here are the nine new haircuts I've made so far.

newhair1_zps6e97f53a.pngnewhair3_zps4bb0a057.pngnewhair8_zps0288e964.pngnewhair7_zps1d001f56.pngnewhair2_zpsf9e67aea.pngnewhair9_zps3d243ab3.pngnewhair4_zps04d085a7.pngnewhair6_zpsd609dbf5.pngnewhair5_zpscc71481b.png

Navy Uniforms:

navychief1_zps3a262886.png

Chief

navypettyofficer_zpsc6d1b167.png

Petty Officer

Edited by cspruce

Is that just a random happening or can you actually replace portrait icons with more aged portrait icons with increasing rank ?

Right now it's just a random happening, I don't know if it would be possible to replace the portrait with each time someone gains rank or not but I can look into it.