Walrus's Tactical Ballistic Expansion, V1: Tier 1 Ballistic EXPLOSION VRROOOOOOM!

WalrusJones

It is over.

Two hours of typing one word: Wolf, overwriting the word buzzard, in a specter file...

It is done....

However, that means I can finally release something I may be the only one who has been waiting for....

Walrus Jones's Tactical Ballistic Expansion, V1!

http://xeno-mods.com/mod/138/walrus-jones-s-tactical-ballistic-expansion

(I could hide this as a word, but I find it difficult to see links on this site, so for the sake of making the link clear and obvious, I left it in link form.)

Naturally, This mod greatly expands on ballistic weaponry, adding two new (Three to ballistic weapons, in a unique case,) weapon classes, and offering several new versions of both new and old weapon classes.

201306261107211853323109.png

Soviet weapons (Introducing the first ballistic carbine, and battle rifle.)

These weapons are designed to deviate heavily from standard weaponry, allowing for a fresh game experience.

201306261108411527510497.jpg

Civilian weapons.

For people who want to ward of the alien invasion in style (And with a great deal of challenge, let me tell you.)

20130626110812330244826.jpg

Cynical weapon descriptions. (Note, The Stat box in the upper right corner gives more accurate stats then the description. Sprites in this image are not necessarily up to date.)

And much more.

This mod will go quite a ways into the game, leading early ballistic weapons down three tiers that will allow them to compete with early lasers (And then doing the same to lasers and plasma, but then it wont be a ballistic expansion anymore.)

A quick example of what this will look like:

Tier 1: Conventional Submachinegun.

F9ZvIos.png

Tier 2: Enhanced Submachinegun (Manufactured, not yet included.)

gLMAjpp.png

Tier 3: Alloys Submachinegun (Manufactured, spends resources, very cool chalky aesthetic.)

BHqmIEA.png

(Thank LaggyWolf for nearly all the weapon sprites. Some minor alterations by me may have broken some of the guns: Rule of thumb, if it looks as ramshackle as the ammo types, Walrus made it/Ruined it.)

As for now, I think I am not forgetting much.

Feel free to yell at me for things I have forgotten, but be polite, and avoid the flaming thumb.

20130626110812330244826.jpg.158bc7621c98

These things have a habit of coming together in one form or another though, so ...

Nom, nom, nom.

Gah! It's Godzilla!

No, you idiot it's the Sathra Mod! Aieeeeee!

I may open up his mod, and make a compatibility patch when my mod enters a greater level of completion, however, just like the ancient forces of Shu in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era, I have plans to grow just as big as my rival (Probably by eating up several of the more minor mods, myself,) little mod/Cao Cao.

However, I do plan to stay small for most of the Xenonauts beta.

Edited by WalrusJones

Following the detonation of alien technology in Iceland in 1957, supra-dimensional energy began to seep into our world from another. From a world where gigantic behe-mods now stirred from their slumber. Soon, Earth shall be their battle ground. Only one may save us...

xenogodzilla.jpg

Xeno-Godzilla!

xenogodzilla.jpg

xenogodzilla.jpg.4fe22897024ca86023c855b

10 downloads!

Edit, wait. Just 9.

I cant count.

Edit2:

Now its 10.

AND QUESTIONS:

What weapon is your favorite weapon in this mod?

What weapon is your least favorite?

What do you think of the item descriptions? Grammar issues?

Are there any armor animations that I am forgetting/messed up/discrepancies in armor-weapon animations (IE, Saiga using the Shotgun animation for the Jackal armor, assault rifle animation for the Sentinel armor?)

What ammunition types would you like to see come first with the armor update? (I have a manufactured, secondary AP ammo for the Submachinegun planned, as well as standardized rubber magnum ammo, and beanbag shotgun shells.... Mostly non-lethal ammo types, aside from the Submachineguns bullets.)

Lastly, should I focus on updating late tier carbines to reflect my changes first, or go ahead with making new content?

I have yet to start work on the next version, however, I have received simply better cleaned sprites since the first release, meaning the sloppy glow effect I used to smooth the edges of some weapons will be going away soon.

I have updated the readme to give credit for mod contribution as is due.

I am investigating many quality of life mods to potentially integrate into my modpack (Alien caste descriptions, better tracers, more soldier backgrounds, more shotguns, ETC.)

And, I am playing the game for fun for the first time since I started modding this game, a week and a half ago... Revolvers and LAR's all the way.

Edited by WalrusJones

seems like quite an awesome mode Walrus, can't wait to see it finished!

And yeah - adding a .50 Cal is a must imho to such a mod. ;)

While you would think I would discourage nigh-impossible to use in human hands weaponry...

Ultra-Heavy weaponry will eventually appear, but require soldiers who are so strong, accurate, and fast that they must have survived from the beginning of the game, to the early plasma age to be usable by humans.

I technically have a sprite for one of them already as well.

Secondly, I don't intend for ballistic weaponry something that you totally phase out, but instead, they are something that is very expensive to use at the end game levels. (Still, a certain series of enemy units is most efficiently dealt with using ballistic weapons, borrowing a shockingly good idea from the somewhat disappointing, and somewhat clever XCOM:enemy unknown (Sequel to UFO defense.) I am borrowing from most of the games in the whole world defense genera in my plans and ideas.)

I wouldn't say it is going to be specific to a single unit type, but rather, to units that do a certain thing (Which are getting a pretty nasty buff in my mod, but will be much rarer.)

And, by "Late game ballistics will be more expensive to use," I mean that they will require base micromanaging to use efficiently, as the late game ballistic development is going to be more about ammo then guns... Which is expendable, and while all guns will have a default, and cheaply manufactured ammo.... Those are still going to fade out in mid game...

- Regardless, the advanced manufactured ammo's, whether they consume rescources, large numbers of hours, or big money.... Will be extremely effective, and the primary way of taking out enemies who are resistant to energy weaponry until tier-4 arrives.

The Lasers will be the simple logistics to use weaponry: All lasers will use the same ammo (Which isn't a battery, but a disposable coolant cells... Which makes much more sense to have an infinite supply of then charged alienium power cells,) Have better then average accuracy, but be weak against enemies who do a certain thing (As will all energy weapons,) have fairly short magazine capacity, and generally be worse at putting out large volumes of fire (Two round bursts, and four round bursts, instead of three, and five. Due to capacitors charging limiting the effective rate of fire.)

- Mid game standard issue arms, and the advanced lasers will have their own desirable traits as well.

The Plasma weaponry will have somewhat more complex logistics then lasers, and shorter then average range then the other weapons. However, they will be weapons of brute force. They will share some weaknesses with lasers... Excluding the ones that get way of the brute force part.

The Secret Tier 4 weapons new traits... Will be as secret as the weapons themselves, but will be a godsend against certain enemies, and OK against virtually everything (Like you would expect the last weapon in the game to be.)

- Late game standard issue arms... Some will have unique behaviors.

Edit:

Well.

Now I am overexcited again, and am on my campaign to make V1.1 (Previously 2.0) a reality.

Edited by WalrusJones

Do you have these ingame ? Im wondering how they look, did you draw them or just rip them and delete the bg ?

Well. Currently, they use existing world models, if this is what you are asking.

It isn't viable for a modder to create world animations for a gun: 116 spites, with ~20 images and postures each.

So, I coded them to use sprites of other weapons (Which isn't unreasonable, some of the ingame weapons do this already)

If you are asking something else, you will need to clarify.

Im not asking about the voxel (?) art, but 2d art, i.e. inventory.

The 2D art is a mix of sprited art, and photoshoped real world weapons.

Some is by me, some of the better work is from LaggyWolf.

When I saw the title I thought it was a mod that adds Walruses to the game :P:

ccga-walrus.jpg

Where there is a will, there is a way.

There is some will for this.

Hmm.

That explains why it is so high quality that I couldn't possibly mimmick it.

I kinda suspected it as well.

Unfortunately, I am already tied up trying to learn how to edit audio, dealing with natural sickness, and coding the next version...

So I am simply going to be unable to animate.

(And I don't have much money.)

Edit:

Sorry if I came off as rude, but I find it somewhat depressing... All the things that I simply won't be able to do that I would love to do.

Edited by WalrusJones

Why does the art site for the Ferret guy have a bunch of sketches of women with various things tied to their heads?

Hmm, driver concepts?

Back to track: If i would have to make a mod, i'd go the (relatively) easy way - redrawing existing sprites. Sure, it's a lot of work, but you have patterns for all main weapon types to keep your animations consistent, and you don't even need to know animation. Just long and tedious redraw.

I was thinking of making "sebillian in a dress" (based on a certain fanart) mod this way, but then Max proposed a better idea.