Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack

Skitso

Interesting. I thought perhaps the Crash smoke would mess with potential map obstacles.

cool.

I havent played XN in 2 years, but i suspect i will do my first playthrough on 1.05 with both your mods :)

thanks for the hard work, Screen look awesome.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain I've seen these maps in their vanilla* form in rotation. I've been doing some testing with a build that I've not installed the map pack in, and there's maps that I more or less recognize as Skitso maps (e.g. the Parking Lot map without the parking lot!). So it does seem to be the case that they're in there.

*Do they count as vanilla since Chris changed them? There's a case to be made that the ones included in the game are modded, and the ones available in this thread are vanilla!

Would it be possible to mod, or put something in a map so that when it loads you can see who the creator was? I'm having a ton of fun with the new maps, but I don't know if they are from the original game, your pack, or the (Sort of) random pack. If it isn't possible in the loading screen, maybe you could place a marker representing your maps or something next to the dropship.

Alternatively is it possible to get images of the entire maps somewhere? I would love to see an online album, or put them there myself if I can find them.

I seem to remember someone indicating how you could see the map name, somewhere. But I might have made it up.

In terms of images of maps, it would take a lot of effort to get an image of the entire map as there's no ability to zoom (so you'd have to make a composite). It might be better to take a single shot of a distinguishing feature (like Skitso has in the OP). Wouldn't really work for the random map pack, though, as there's not really stuff like that in it.

There's an annoying bug in the packaging (not sure if it's better fixed on your end or on GH's). Your tiles/farm/ directory is named with lowercase, while the Linux package uses uppercase for that directory only (assets/tiles/Farm). Since Linux filesystems are case-sensitive and Wine emulates a Windows system (which isn't), installing this map pack makes the game unable to find any of the stock farm tile images, causing all black tiles on farm missions.

I fixed this on my machine by moving the contents of farm/ (the map pack) into Farm/ and deleting the empty farm/; the right solution is for either you or GH to change the case to match the other. I'm not sure how changing the case to capital in the map pack archive would play on Windows, though; have fun checking that out :)

Updated to v1.0.

I've added forest tiles and made random forest maps in farm tileset. I've also more or less redone ALL vanilla farm maps as I have always thought they are not quite up to standard. All farm maps have also modified to benefit from the new forest tiles.

Edited by Skitso

Updated to v1.0.

I've added forest tiles and made random forest maps in farm tileset. I've also more or less redone ALL vanilla farm maps as I have always thought they are not quite up to standard. All farm maps have also modified to benefit from the new forest tiles.

These are wonderful maps Skitso and solve the only real problem I had with this excellent game. I like to do most of the combat missions so it was getting a bit repetitive in terms of the same maps in earlier versions. I've just started my first proper playthrough so these maps are a joy.

As my mother would say "praise doesn't butter any parsnips" but I wanted to offer my sincere thank you anyway for your hard work as there seems to be no way to make a small donation etc.

The craft and care you put into the work is obvious but how many hours would you estimate it has taken you in total so far? I'd be fascinated to know.

A mod I'd love to see at some stage is increased variety of missions - rescue missions for downed Xenonauts, lone wolf or three-man only assassination missions, maybe battles with human cults/traitors that have allied to the aliens, missions in the sewer/sub-way network etc.

Thanks for your kind words Mustang. It really matters. :) It's really hard to say, but I think I've put maybe 200-250 hours in these maps. Of course it took a while to get used to the tools and learn how everything works, but it's taken some time, yeah. :) Glad people like these.

Just a thought, but would you be willing at some point to write a guide or an indication of the kinds of thing you keep in mind when mapping?

It's evident from things you've written in the past that you seem to have some kind of methodology when it comes to mapping which goes beyond/differs from the "official* guidelines and I'd be interested to learn about it. While I've done plenty of mapping myself, the approach is entirely different (due to focusing on randomisation) and having a sense of what you do to make hand-crafted maps would be useful to me both in terms of designing hand-crafted maps myself, but also for thinking about map randomisation too.

That aside, I think such a document could serve as an excellent guide to get other people into mapping. The guides at the moment are perfectly fine, but one of them is basically a technical document explaining how to use the (sub)map editor(s) and the other is more a list of principles rather than a guide to thinking about mapping. What's more, for the future it would be interesting to get a collection of such documents so that mappers can learn from others' approaches and develop them further.

Having a thread for "noob" questions might not be a bad idea, as an aside. That way, all the questions are kept in one place for ease of reference and don't clutter the mapping forum. (Although maybe not so relevant with the recent forum reorganization, since completed map packs have a separate place to live).

I'm a bit bad at writing stuff down and as I'm not a native english speaker, writing such tutorial would require too much time and effort, I'm afraid. That said, I'm not even sure I have that much guidelines which I follow when mapping. I just try to make everything feel natural and organic and of course look good. Refering photographs of actual areas/buildings is a great tool here, as is drawing layout on paper first. I also try to make many passes when mapping. First large strokes and then step by step add stuff from bigger objects to smaller details. Micro detailing that comes last is one of the most importat phases of mapping and is when the map really comes alive.

You can see few good examples of the difference between a generic map and a map that feels like an actual place if you compare vanilla farm maps (which often doesn't have any reseblance of a real place) and my modified versions of them in my newest map pack version.

I'll gladly help anyone who is interested in mapping and answer any questions of course. Noob mappin thread would probably be a good idea.

Edited by Skitso