Bleeding too damaging

Sups, guys!

I'm having a problem that I think kinda unbalance the game a little.

I agree that the bleeding damage should be as it is, but not in your turn after being damaged in the alien phase. I mean, more specifically when the aliens damage a soldier of yours in their turn, then their turn ends and your start, and you take a bleeding damage before you can do anything, sometimes killing your troop. It's like he receive 50% more shot damages than he actually received.

Can the bleeding damage be removed from your starting phase if you was damaged during alien turn or can all bleeding damages be applied in the end of the turns instead the begining? (I think it's more balanced that way)

Edited by Victor_Tadeu

Agreed. My only reservation about the increased bleeding damage was that it effectively cuts soldier HP by a lot due to bleeding being applied at the beginning of the turn. It's irritating to have a soldier survive by the skin of his teeth, then immediately die due to wounds before you can do anything.

I had pointed this out when bleeding was first introduced, and the response at the time was "eh". I very much doubt it's going to change now.

Well when bleeding was first introduced it wasn't really an issue, since you only got 1 damage per wound

I had pointed this out when bleeding was first introduced, and the response at the time was "eh". I very much doubt it's going to change now.

But the bleeding was then like 2HP so it wasn't that meaningful. The 5HP is too much I think.

Edited by silencer

It's irritating to have a soldier survive by the skin of his teeth, then immediately die due to wounds before you can do anything.

If a situation like that happened to a soldier, it would be nice if you could revive and treat him, if you can get to him before the player turn ends. The wounded soldier should be critical but stable, and out of combat for the remainder of the battle.

A british comedian (whose name escapes me) once made a joke that if the nukes landed, the first people up against the wall wouldn't be the politicans but the CND activists walking around wearing T-shirts saying "I TOLD YOU SO". I'm so totally wearing one right now.

By the way its possible to soldeirs to fall unconscious instead of always dead? A soldier who lose all his health to bleeding or to minor damages could fall unconscious, them you use your medkit to stabilize him and prevent him from dying (but he dont wake up). That would be a nice touch to add.

I think the best balance would be to the damage be applied in the end of the turn, not in the beginning. It will give you time to rush to aid a wounded soldiers instead o just losing him before you can do anything.

Feels the right way to do it. It is actually frustrating to not have a chance to to anything. 5hp per wound is fine though IMO.

A british comedian (whose name escapes me) once made a joke that if the nukes landed, the first people up against the wall wouldn't be the politicans but the CND activists walking around wearing T-shirts saying "I TOLD YOU SO". I'm so totally wearing one right now.

We didn't listen!

I'd rather have it be difficulty based if possible. Maybe it was lucky streak, but I see plenty battlefield revivals already that increased survival chance is unnecessary. Hardcore player in me actually wants it decreased so it's even more miraculous instead of routine surprise... :P

@ Victor_Tadeu (2 posts down)

Yes.

Unfortunately I think the engine makes it difficult to run the system you suggested, although it'd be pretty cool. It's the same reason why knocked out aliens don't wake up. If possible, seeing end report revivals entirely replaced with "need to stabilize" system would be nice indeed.

Edited by ventuswings

I think you're missing what kind of game this is. You are supposed to feel despair. It's an X-Com-like game, not Carebear tales. And it already is much more forgiving than the OG as it is. You may not realize it, but negative surprises are sometimes good too.

I just think the bleeding damage should be set in the end of turn, not the beginning. Is a balance issue. You actively receive almost to 50% more damage than you should right now. Maybe the soldier falling from bleeding should be much more proned to unconsciousness than death. I know the game is supose to be hard and visceral and you should fight back with skills and patience, but the bleeding as it is prevent you from using any skill to save that soldier life...

ventuswings, what was you talking about revival? You mean finding about in the end mission report if the soldier survived or you are actively doing something about it?

It's too late to change this now, unfortunately. I also quite like the cruelty aspect of it, so I'm not sure if I would change it anyway tbh.

Agreed on this one. While I understand why you guys would like to be able to address wounds immediately before suffering additional damage, I absolutely love the cruelty aspect of seeing a soldier get hurt badly and sitting there in suspense whether he will make it once your turn starts... or collapse to the ground leaving you hands tied.

The tactical aspect of applying medikits is still there as you need to choose whether to sacrifice a soldier's turn to heal or carry the wound a little longer to shoot down a threat first. In my experience it's finely balanced while changing it would get us one step closer to having total control over what's happening which reduces the challenge.